Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How much did it cost you to have your head gasket replaced?

Old Jan 1, 2008, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much did it cost you to have your head gasket replaced?

hey guys, I think my head gasket is blown and that would mean my head is warped too. My local shop gave me a quote I'm going to call a few of the big guys in the northeast tomorrow but for now just wondering what it cost everyone else labor wise and what shop they used or if they did it themselves. Also include if you needed to have your head shaved down because it warped or not.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
It was about 6-8 hours of work at my local shop.

1st time - did not deck the head (it was true).
2nd time - decked the head.

Parts:
Coolant
Oil
Headgasket
Head studs (opt)

Labor:
Tear down
Decking
Putting it back together
Old Jan 1, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

i did mine myself. took about 8-10 hours of solid work. just take off the intake and exhaust manifolds. remove the timing belt, valve cover and any sensors and hoses that need to be unhooked/unplugged. its pretty simple as long as you pay attention to what youre doing.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoovasti
hey guys, I think my head gasket is blown and that would mean my head is warped too. My local shop gave me a quote I'm going to call a few of the big guys in the northeast tomorrow but for now just wondering what it cost everyone else labor wise and what shop they used or if they did it themselves. Also include if you needed to have your head shaved down because it warped or not.
The labor to take the Head Off and Gasket replaced, and to put all back together can run ~$600.00 plus.

There will be extra labor to Deck The head and other things that may need done, if there is more damage.

You got the cost of your new Gasket, OEM, or after market. Also, while you are in there, you may want to add Up-dated head Bolts.

The above guess on $$ is just that, an estimate, since labor is more or less from State to State.

More important than price, is to find out what caused the Gasket to Blow.
You want to get to the root of the problem. Then fix it.

Last edited by 04AWDTURBOEVO; Jan 1, 2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

my buddy and i did mine and it took about 10 hours and it wasnt that bad. But i didnt have a destroyed headgasket and i didnt run it hot so it was pretty much just take apart and put back together
Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I ( a friend and I) pulled my Had off of my Evo in less than an hour look about 53 mins almost exact lol. head studs and head gasket take no time to put in, resurfacing the block and head ect ect may add to that but, I think some people really add the labor time up more than need be but then again some road block can come up at times
Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EMonz57
Man, I ( a friend and I) pulled my Had off of my Evo in less than an hour look about 53 mins almost exact lol. head studs and head gasket take no time to put in, resurfacing the block and head ect ect may add to that but, I think some people really add the labor time up more than need be but then again some road block can come up at times

53 mins is amazing to pull an evo head off dude. I dont think we can do it that quick. Not on a customers car taking time to do everything right.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Steve@TopLevelAuto
53 mins is amazing to pull an evo head off dude. I dont think we can do it that quick. Not on a customers car taking time to do everything right.
We had 3 people working on the car at the same time. We are all on the same page and work well together. Well that and the 4G6x series motors are not strangers as all three of us have owned one or two in the past. So that is why. One person working on it of course it would have taken longer.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

When the dealer does a headgasket, do they take the time to deck the head?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

avoid the dealership if you can. You'll be paying a lot at the dealership.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

i just looked it up on all data...and they wold tell me to qoute 8.8 hrs of labor. so say a shops labor rate is $80 an hour. that would come out to about $700..then you have to factor in the gasket and fluids. just to give you a ball park
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by EMonz57

hey whats up bro well i believe blew my head gasket so i was wondering where would be the best place to get the directions to take it off myself
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RICOSUAVEVIII
hey whats up bro well i believe blew my head gasket so i was wondering where would be the best place to get the directions to take it off myself
4year old thread back from the dead... try the "How to" section here.