Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

TPMS - the ultimate FAQ

Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TPMS - the ultimate FAQ

A work in progress, give it time.

What is TPMS?

Tire Pressure Monitoring System. The idea of this system is that it will monitor your tire air pressures and notify you if something is wrong (like a low or flat tire).

Where is it?
You might notice that the valves on your wheels look a little different. This is it. There's a small box that goes inside the wheels and is on the back of the valve.

Why is it there?
To keep you safe, silly.

Do I have it?
If you drive a 2008 Lancer, yes. All models (DE/ES/GTS) have them.

Can I turn it off if I don't want it?
No.
Can turn it off if I don't want it?
No.
You're kidding me.
No. This system is tied into your car's ECU. The Technical Service Bulletin from specifically says "it cannot be deactivated."

How sensitive is it?
I've had it come on when my tires were at 27 psi (5 below normal).

What info does it give?
None, really. You just get a SERVICE REQUIRED warning and the light goes on. This could be because one tire is a few PSI low, this could be because all four tires have popped. The car is just notifying you that SOMETHING is wrong. It's your job to figure out what that is.

What if I use aftermarket wheels and don't get the TPMS?
Then you will be annoyed. When you start the car, the little "flat tire with an !" lights up. The main screen lights up with the same logo and SERVICE REQUIRED. You have to hold the INFO button for 2 seconds to turn this off. Any action that comes on the screen will turn the SERVICE REQUIRED warning on again.

This includes:
opening the car door
the "Possible icy conditions" reminder coming on
etc (I'll add more as I experience them)

What if I put my sensors in a vaccuum tube and fill that tube to 32 psi and drive around with that in the car?
Nope. EvoM member Nosman tried it for 200km and 2hrs, and the light was still on. Best guess - they're tied into the ABS speed sensors or something...

How much do the sensors cost?
$50 each (you need 4), plus dealership costs for programming them.

How long do they last?
Roughly 5 years, from what I've read. "recommends" that you change them every time you get new tires, but I suspect that's mostly so they can make more money off you...

Who can install them?
It can be DIYed, but you need tools that the average person does not have. Obviously, the dealership or a automotive shop can handle this chore.
I was able to remove mine using my father's tire-changing stand, a crowbar, and some help; this is not normal though.

What's the process?

Originally Posted by nelsondevicenci
OK, I did not take pics, but i can tell you. I saw this:
1. The guy take the air out of the tire.
2. Take the tire off the rim.
3. He removed a nut from the valve outside of the rim.
4. After that the sensor the TPMS came off.
5. After that he put the sensor into the new wheel and tightened the nut onto the valve outside the rim.
6. Put the tire onto the new wheel.
7. Put air in the new wheel with tire.
8. Put the wheel on the balancing machine.
9. Put them back onto my car.
(Edited to fix English & grammar)

Note from EvoM member Nosman - You forgot to mention that you have to torque the valve spring to 3 lbs/inch and the nut that holds it on the rim to 71 lbs/inch

Little bit more info
Posted by EvoM member CamShaft:
"Standardization is on the way with Daimler/Chrysler being the first major automotive manufacturer to introduce a universal TPMS platform with only two different sensors, two different grommet/o-ring kits, and no recalibration (the system resets itself automatically). Siemens VDO, an original equipment supplier of valve stem sensors that developed this technology, has been working with TIA for a couple of years to introduce a valve stem TPMS that is technician friendly, and early reports suggest it was successful"

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Feb 29, 2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Saving for space.
Attached Thumbnails TPMS - the ultimate FAQ-figure1.jpg  

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Jan 13, 2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do we have any information on how long the batteries in the TPMS sensors last?
Old Feb 29, 2008, 01:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by nunyas
Do we have any information on how long the batteries in the TPMS sensors last?
Roughly 5 years, from what I've read. "recommends" that you change them every time you get new tires, but I suspect that's mostly so they can make more money off you...
Old Feb 29, 2008, 03:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

and blacksheep saves the day!!!! where do u get all this info?? LOL do u secretly work for mitsu???
Old Mar 1, 2008, 02:30 AM

sooo if we get aftermarket rims n tires.....the installing procedure part is for if we wanted to install that into the new rims n tires?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by krnkimchi702
and blacksheep saves the day!!!! where do u get all this info?? LOL do u secretly work for mitsu???
I research. I'm a librarian, after all.

Also, having a FSM helps.

Originally Posted by limmerZ
sooo if we get aftermarket rims n tires.....the installing procedure part is for if we wanted to install that into the new rims n tires?
Yes. BUT if you're a normal person (like 99% of people), it'll go more like this:

You: Hey, I need you to put my TPMS units into my new wheels before you mount my new tires.
Mechanic: Okie dokie.
You: Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2008, 03:00 PM

ahha alrite. thats wut i prolly would be doin neways =p
Old Mar 2, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

had a shop told me that itll cost me $350 just to transfer the tpms to the new rim. has it been confirm about the cost of a new tpms from ? $50 seems kinda cheap.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:06 AM
Account Disabled

Nice info!
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

do the sensors need to be reset or something every time the tires are taken off?

or just for new tires? im planning on painting the rims, but my dad says i should take the tires off and actually remove the paint ont he rim using laquer/paint thinner, which he said would mess up the rubber.

So would i have to go to the dealer to get them to reset it? or just stick the tires back on and set to the right pressure and it should be back like normal?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 09:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Sensors should NOT need reset every time they're removed.

Stick the tires back on and you should be back to normal.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:29 PM

I had a tire replaced on my GTS at a dealership and they said nothing about having to replace/reset the tmps
Old May 11, 2008, 10:31 AM

i'm surprised they don't alert you when they're overfilled because when i picked up my lancer the tires were filled to 40 psi and there was no alert. all four of them too!
Old May 11, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
A work in progress, give it time.
How much do the sensors cost?
$50 each (you need 4), plus dealership costs for programming them.
Are you sure about that? That price seems a bit cheap. I work at a tire shop, and we had to replace one on a newer Nissan Titan, and it ended up costing about $200from the dealership.

Another quick fact is that when changing tires, as long as you mount the tires back in the EXACT same location they came off of, you will not need to reset the sensors. But on a rotation, you will need to reset them. We actually have equipment to reset MOST vehicles. We have yet to have a new Lancer come in, so I'm not 100% sure if our equipment is compatible with Mitsubishi's TPMS or not. If not, we will usually send the customer to the dealership to have them reset.

Lastly, for those of you that do have TPMS, DO NOT USE METAL CAPS on the valve stem of the sensors. We have had an incident where ancustomer cam in with a TPMS sensor with metal caps, and there was rust corroded between the cap and the valve stem itself causing the metal valve stem to actually break off when we went to air up the tire. That being said, we had to replace the whole sensor. Plastic or aluminum caps are fine,but the metal on metal combined with water=corrosion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS - the ultimate FAQ