Notices

WORKS Brain Flash for '08 Lancer

Old Apr 6, 2008, 08:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WORKS Brain Flash for '08 Lancer

Greetings,

I wanted to give an update on our '08 Lancer and EVO X flash program. We've cracked the ECUs and are currently working on our flashing interface, and we will offer flashes for both the Lancer and EVO X in the next few weeks. We just moved the dyno up to Infineon yesterday, so I'm looking forward to hearing Pete tune our new Lancers and EVOs outside my office (on second thought... maybe that'll get old real quick. We'll see.). In either case, I think we have a great situation now, with track and dyno in one location, to help us create the best tunes possible. I'll post Lancer updates here, and EVO X updates in the sister thread periodically.

This is an intro for me as well since I've never posted here. I'm in WORKS Engineering working on some projects for our racing program, other projects we'll release in a few months, and most recently, these ECUs. Some local members saw me in one of our World Challenge Lancers working on "ECU diagnostics" – I guess you know what I meant by that now!

-Steve
Old Apr 6, 2008, 09:45 AM

Great, i cant wait to see the numbers from this.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Thank god. Ive been waiting for this news. What is the possibility of CVT tweaking as well. Ratios, shift speed, redline, ect?
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not to familar with flashes but will this be any different then RRM piggy?
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Hell yeah it will. A flash will actually reprogram the ECU. The piggy tries to trick the ECU.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elpoole
Hell yeah it will. A flash will actually reprogram the ECU. The piggy tries to trick the ECU.
Keyword "tries"
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:30 PM
Account Disabled

So what kind of gains are we takling about on the CVT?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 02:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great to hear. I'm hoping CVT, Fed-spec Lancers will be included in the tuneable cars?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 03:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think steve is refering to engine side management. Since the Transmission has a brain just as big as the engine, it might be a little while longer before they have an open shot at the CVT program. I only know of one instance of the CVT being hacked and even then I heard it wasnt easy and still limited, relating to a turbo project in Japan.

If I had my hands on that open source,
There would be so much I could change.
Remap the Manual gears, hell add a 7th gear is possible to get to the bottom of the ratio range. or if you wanted and it was your preference you could copy the manual 5 speed gear ratios. Endless possiblities.

But umm getting back on topic. Engine management is a good first step to tune for performance
Old Apr 7, 2008, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Great to hear. I'm hoping CVT, Fed-spec Lancers will be included in the tuneable cars?
Oh it better...it better be...
Old Apr 7, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mezzedupdream
I'm not to familar with flashes but will this be any different then RRM piggy?
same principle, totally different way to go about it.

Personally I think the flash is a MUCH better option as it actually is tested on the dyno (not 100% sure rrms isn't but I dont think it is) and can run any fuel, timing, etc maps it wants. Where as a piggy tricks the ECU so the most it can do is whatever it can trick the ECU into doing.

Sweet!
Old Apr 7, 2008, 04:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_soul
I think steve is refering to engine side management. Since the Transmission has a brain just as big as the engine, it might be a little while longer before they have an open shot at the CVT program. I only know of one instance of the CVT being hacked and even then I heard it wasnt easy and still limited, relating to a turbo project in Japan.
No, you're 8 steps ahead of what I meant. I have no interest in them changing the CVT parameters. I'm just scared that when they do release the Brain Flash, it'll have a big "MT cars only" notice on it. Then I'd quietly put my credit card back in my wallet and go cry.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

^^ total speculation but I would say that unless they have already done it, your going to be out of luck.

I think that the ECU and TCU would communicate and operate the engine differently. I know the 5-spd has an idle increase algorithm when you step on the clutch and I bet that the CVT has other specific parameters too.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

is this going to be self-programmable? as in, can i have someone locally tune it? Or is this going to be by mail, and I wont be able to change anything?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

no it is a re-flash of the stock ecu.

it is not a stand alone unit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WORKS Brain Flash for '08 Lancer