Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Need to shave rotors when replacing brake pads?

Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to shave rotors when replacing brake pads?

So 2 days ago I was driving down Okeechobee road and noticed my steering wheel was pulsing when I was slowing down from 80 to 60mph. So i called Mitsubishi and expalined this to them and asked if there was something wrong with my car. He said more than likely its because I need to change my brake pads.

I asked how much is it to change them, he said $189.00. I said what! Damn just for pads? He said no you need to shave your rotors so not to get friction and something else which I forgot. Some how this is suppposed to improve the longevity of the rotor and brake pads.

I dont have $189.00 to pay for shaving my rotors and I want to know if anyone thinks its ok to just change my brake pads and bypass shaving the rotors? I have changed my own brakes before but on older cars, I am not sure if this is ok with a newer car.

By the way the brake pads can be bought at Advanceautoparts.com from $38.99 to $76.99.

If anyone can help me decide which pads are good and best I would appreciate it, I also want to know what everyone else thinks about the rotors needing to be shaved.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 01:43 PM

To answer your question you need to turn(shave) your rotors. Whats is happening when you slow down and you feel the pulse, that means your rotors are warped. Warpage is due to friction=heat. They will need to turn them to get them back to perfect trueness. Other wise when you stop your pads will only be touching certain spots on the rotor which will take more time to stop. This is a very important system in the car, not only for performance but safety as well. I would in no way try to go around, bypass, or buy the cheap sh*t when it comes to the breaks. Drive safe!

--Matt--
Old Aug 2, 2008, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

How many miles are on it? If the mileage is still low they shouldn't they do it under warranty?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:01 AM

If your brake pads still have good thickness all you have to do is turn your rotors.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 01:32 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

**** at that price go to rrm and get their slotted rotors lol
Old Aug 2, 2008, 01:45 PM

Yes that is very pricey. If you have the know how, you can take the rotors off and have Pepboys turn them. That would be the best bet for your money... If you know how that is. You could also go ahead and get the slotted rotors from RRM and avoid the whole situation in the future.

Mileage really doesn't play a factor here. It's all about how he breaks. These cars were not meant for quick stop and goes. Does he ride his breaks? There are several different factors that could come into play.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, if the brakes are pulsing when you get on them, then you likely need to do something about your rotors. If you simply had worn pads, then you could just get new pads.

Based on my experience with "warped" rotors, I recommend replacing the rotors, rather than getting them resurfaced. Your rotors have gone bad--turning them is going to make the discs thinner--this may make them even more susceptible to going bad again. So, my advice is to get new ones.

I also advise that you do this yourself. Changing brake pads and rotors is generally very easy, and it shouldn't be much different on the Lancer than your previous cars. Spend an hour with your car as it is, and see if you can pull the caliper and rotor off one of the wheels. If so, then yes, you can do it yourself. You probably already know this, but just don't disconnect any hoses so that you don't have to mess with the fluid.

On the other hand, are bad rotors covered by the warranty? (Pads certainly are not.) If they are, then use the warranty. If not, then spend your money on good rotors (don't go cheap or you'll just be replacing them again soon) and pads and do the job yourself.

One other note, it is likely just the fronts, as they do most of the work in stopping your car. So don't even worry about the rears.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LANCERGTS2008

By the way the brake pads can be bought at Advanceautoparts.com from $38.99 to $76.99.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
Yes, if the brakes are pulsing when you get on them, then you likely need to do something about your rotors. If you simply had worn pads, then you could just get new pads.

Based on my experience with "warped" rotors, I recommend replacing the rotors, rather than getting them resurfaced. Your rotors have gone bad--turning them is going to make the discs thinner--this may make them even more susceptible to going bad again. So, my advice is to get new ones.

I also advise that you do this yourself. Changing brake pads and rotors is generally very easy, and it shouldn't be much different on the Lancer than your previous cars. Spend an hour with your car as it is, and see if you can pull the caliper and rotor off one of the wheels. If so, then yes, you can do it yourself. You probably already know this, but just don't disconnect any hoses so that you don't have to mess with the fluid.

On the other hand, are bad rotors covered by the warranty? (Pads certainly are not.) If they are, then use the warranty. If not, then spend your money on good rotors (don't go cheap or you'll just be replacing them again soon) and pads and do the job yourself.

One other note, it is likely just the fronts, as they do most of the work in stopping your car. So don't even worry about the rears.
Ok, thanks a lot guys this really helped. At first no one was helping me out but now I see a lot of feed back. I am going to purchase RRM slotted rotors so this does not hapen again. I dont want my rotors any thinner and then have to repeat this again anyways.

Tell me if this good... Buy RRM rotors and have my father in law help with the install and removal (good mechanic), buy new pads for the front. I dont know which pads to buy, should I buy RRM pads or the best pads at advanced auto parts?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by krnkimchi702
**** at that price go to rrm and get their slotted rotors lol
Yeah, I am going to buy RRM rotors. Do they have pads for them? Are they better than local store pads?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thenoob
Yes that is very pricey. If you have the know how, you can take the rotors off and have Pepboys turn them. That would be the best bet for your money... If you know how that is. You could also go ahead and get the slotted rotors from RRM and avoid the whole situation in the future.

Mileage really doesn't play a factor here. It's all about how he breaks. These cars were not meant for quick stop and goes. Does he ride his breaks? There are several different factors that could come into play.
I drive like a sport driver at times, I also down shift to avoid braking as much. I am going to buy RRM rotors. Will this prevent future warping? I will ask RRM about warping and see if they have the pads.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:32 AM

I drive like a sport driver at times, I also down shift to avoid braking as much. I am going to buy RRM rotors. Will this prevent future warping? I will ask RRM about warping and see if they have the pads.
I believe the RRM rotors are slotted; this is for coolness and purpose. they're slotted because they can cool down faster and retain less heat when braking, and they're also a couple inches larger than the stock rotors. so you should not experience any warping. they come with Axxis Deluxe Brake pads which sound pretty good (i haven't had any experience with them).

On a side note, does anything need to be modified with the ECU to compensate for larger brakes?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
You can try re-bedding them if they have only been pulsing a little while. Tire rack or somebody did a big article on warpage that you might want to take a look at, if anyone has the link?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh, and don;t use the parking brake after you drive like a sport driver, that is often the cause of "warped" brakes
Old Aug 5, 2008, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

read it all...

Originally Posted by CaliMR
You can try re-bedding them if they have only been pulsing a little while. Tire rack or somebody did a big article on warpage that you might want to take a look at, if anyone has the link?
and believe it all... Rotor resurfacing is the biggest scam in the automotive business.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need to shave rotors when replacing brake pads?