Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Does anyone here regret getting a lightweight flywheel for their EVO 8-9?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2009, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone here regret getting a lightweight flywheel for their EVO 8-9?

Currently I run the ACT MB7-XTSS clutch in my EVO 8. When I was upgrading the clutch all I was advised to keep the stock flywheel because it wasnt necessary to spend the extra 300 for an aftermarket flywheel.

Now looking back I wonder if I should have done it? I'm looking at getting the ACT 10 LB Prolite flywheel for my EVO and was wondering if I will regret it later on.

so my question to you guys in the community is, does anyone here wish they just kept the stock flywheel?
Old Mar 21, 2009, 02:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good question, bump for some info as well
Old Mar 21, 2009, 02:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I upgraded to my ACT 3200, I upgraded to an RRE Lightweight flywheel and have no regrets at all. So far about 12k miles without issue with either
Old Mar 21, 2009, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

I have the ACT Pro-lite for about 20k+ miles so far and its great. Its going to be a little different to drive at first. I requires more clutch work on hills or anything of the sort. You can feel the car rev easier.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sspaladin28
When I upgraded to my ACT 3200, I upgraded to an RRE Lightweight flywheel and have no regrets at all. So far about 12k miles without issue with either
Originally Posted by Evo8Emperor
I have the ACT Pro-lite for about 20k+ miles so far and its great. Its going to be a little different to drive at first. I requires more clutch work on hills or anything of the sort. You can feel the car rev easier.
Do you guys have any problems with the CEL coming on from the flywheel being too light?
Old Mar 21, 2009, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

no regrets here - would purchase a LW FW again. First off, the difference is not anything crazy - more of a subtle difference that you'll get used to quickly.

It definitely allows the car to rev faster - most noticeable on blipping the throttle during downshifts - the throttle just feels more responsive then. I can't say that I can tell if the car accelerates any faster, though...

Small downside is that you have to rev the car up a bit more when taking off from a dead stop, because of the decreased inertia of the wheel. It's not like you now have to launch the car from every red light.

No CEL for me
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I have the Competition 10.8 lb unit and am very happy with it. As others have stated the engine revs quicker/easier leading to crisper shifts. The only downside is you need more clutch work leaving from a stop, but its really pretty minimal and you get used to it quickly. The stock flywheel is 14.5 lbs so don't bother with the ACT Streetlite or any other thats 12+ lbs. Fidanza, Competition, RRE, and ACT all make nice ~10 lb flywheels (Fidanza is actually the lightest at 9.x).
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka
I have the Competition 10.8 lb unit and am very happy with it. As others have stated the engine revs quicker/easier leading to crisper shifts. The only downside is you need more clutch work leaving from a stop, but its really pretty minimal and you get used to it quickly. The stock flywheel is 14.5 lbs so don't bother with the ACT Streetlite or any other thats 12+ lbs. Fidanza, Competition, RRE, and ACT all make nice ~10 lb flywheels (Fidanza is actually the lightest at 9.x).
Thanks for your input, I want to do this eventually but was worried that it will throw a CEL on an EVO with the stock ECU
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

ive had the fidanza unit with the removeable friction plate for aboout a year. i havent had any problem or regrets. although i did regret getting the fidanza 3.2 clutch kit. i followed the extra long kevlar break in and it still only lasted 4 months. i now have an ACT HD-G6 sprong hub 6 puck. its a much more beefy clutch. also my fidanza flywheel still has about 3 more resurfacings before ill need to change the friction plate.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

yea i got the ACT 10lb and im happy with it, yes it requires more clutch work, i daily my car and i deal with it, personally more then worth it...my first impression was that the whole car feels lighter...like...when you go to let the clutch out the car starts moving faster, it definately revs up faster and it is sick for heel-toe downshifts
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chabada15
yea i got the ACT 10lb and im happy with it, yes it requires more clutch work, i daily my car and i deal with it, personally more then worth it...my first impression was that the whole car feels lighter...like...when you go to let the clutch out the car starts moving faster, it definately revs up faster and it is sick for heel-toe downshifts

Are ya on the stock ECU buddy? Have ya ever thrown any CEL's from this flywheel?

In my old Acura Integra GSR, I've always had lightweight 9-10 lb flywheels and loved how light they were and how fluid and quicker the car felt...but at the same time I dont want any side affects that will interfere with the electronics of the vehicle.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
I've got the ACT prolite. Love it so far, no codes or anything.

The only "downside" IMO, is at decel, the driveline makes some interesting coffee grinding sounds, but I can get used to it. Supposedly it's common to hear more drivetrain noise due to the lighter flywheel. I hope that's true...
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you receive a code you can tune it out. I recieved one after I got my cams and then all the time after my clutch job w/ the lightened fly wheel. Using the p0300 fix I have eliminated it for a while now. It is great.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
Are ya on the stock ECU buddy? Have ya ever thrown any CEL's from this flywheel?

In my old Acura Integra GSR, I've always had lightweight 9-10 lb flywheels and loved how light they were and how fluid and quicker the car felt...but at the same time I dont want any side affects that will interfere with the electronics of the vehicle.
i dont think a flywheel would cause a cell.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 07:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I went from an Exedy twin to a Fidanza 3.2 with OE flywheel. With NO other changes I gained an average of 2-3 MPG due to how quick the turbo spooled with the Exedy unit. Meaning on the HWY I was constantly in an out of boost anywhere but on level terrain. Although the Exedy units over all weight is not so light, it's mass is centralized. Just like these people say, you get increased response not only in the engine rotating assembly, but due to that a nice little decrease in time/rpm to spool up. This had me in boost at my HWY speeds (75-80ish) with the slightest of throttle input. Going back to the OE flywheel has been great at the pump, but sucks in response. I sorely miss the response I've lost and am looking for reasons to yank it all out again to put I 10lbs flywheel in.

Also, I have an early Evo VIII. They seemed to be more prone to CELs than the later models. Even with the noisy twin, I was throwing no codes. Personally, other than the loss in MPG, I can't see a single reason NOT to go lighter at everyone's first chance. The little increase in rpm required to get underway on hills and the such is learned and forgotten in about a day.

Quick Reply: Does anyone here regret getting a lightweight flywheel for their EVO 8-9?