Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car won't start right away..pls help.

Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't start right away..pls help.

so i have a 2003 evo 8 and had gotten the ACT clutch XTSS and prolite flywheel installed.. the car in the beginning runs great and smooth.. still breaking in the clutch.. at about 300 miles now.. after which the problem started. after shutting the engine of the car to go in the house and eat, i come back out to turn it on and the car just wouldn't turn on.. i tried to turn the car on several times but no crank.. jus a click.. battery is working because all the lights are on. tried again still no crank but jus a clicking noise. after 7 minutes of continues torture the car decides to turn on and since then the car is able to start on its on even after shutting the engine.
the car then would be okay for a couple of days..3 days later the same thing happened. i would shut the whole car off and after a few minutes wouldn't turn on.. try again and nothing.. and after a couple of minutes it would turn on again and be okay for a couple of days. i really don't know whats goin guys.
the car would never shut off while running but would jus not start when the whole car is shut off..
at first thought it was the starter but then the car would start after a few minutes..
then again happened for the third time today. this time the boost gauge was reading 0 and so does the greddy spec b boost controller. can it be the starter then? my mechanic said the my solenoid is going bad.. can that be the problem and reason the car wouldn't start? what should i do?
thank you
from a concerned evo owner
Tristan
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:42 PM
TS8
Evolving Member

I had a problem like this when my battery connections were little loose.
Take your time and look for any loose connections.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

it's your fly wheel, sometines the starter hangs up on it. put your car in gear open the door and give it a slight nudge by pushing on the pavement, rocking the car and see if that works. mine does the same thing.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

if it is clicking it may be the battery, but my light weight flywheel does the same thing, but when I turn the key it's just one click, it does not turn over and the battery voltage indicator goes from 12VDC to about zero because the starter is drawing so much current trying to spin the flywheel.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:51 PM

do i need to change the solenoid? checked everywher for loose connections but didn't see anything. i just don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere. can any test figure out whats goin on? is this a serious problem?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:54 PM

yeah thats exactly what i hear.. just one click. no cranking. but it would continue to do that for a couple of minutes.. then when you least expect it the car would jus start. i'm so lost.. should i get a new battery?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:03 PM

what should i do? considering i have to bring this car to get dyno tuned next friday
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

you said it does this only after the new clutch and flywheel correct?

Dude it's not the Battery I told you that in the first place, it's the starter hanging up on the flywheel. turn the key a few times if that dosent work put your car in gear on a flat surface, clutch petal out and rock it back and forth a few times, and then push the clutch in and it should start up, if it dosent work the first time do it again until it starts. It's common with the light weight flywheel's that's a fact.

but it could be the starter, but usually you will not hear the click. The click is the solenoid pushing out the starter gear, which sometimes hangs up on the aftermarket flywheels. Normally you would just change the whole starter if there any issues with it, but I don't believe there is because it sounds like it is working since you hear it everytime you try to start the car.

If it sounds like click click click click..etc when you turn the key, or there is no power no fuel pump, no lights, nothing then it may be the battery is dead but after reading your OP it does not sound like the battery!
Old Jul 29, 2009, 05:24 PM

If it didn't start after you were driving a while, then it probably isn't the battery. The drive should've charged up the battery, even if you have one that's on it's way out. But, won't hurt to test the voltage.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

any updates?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:37 PM

thanks d420mac.. well i been tryin to do what you said.. after a while it does start up..but so far so good.. thanks for the help.. i appreciate it.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

put a starter in it.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think if the starter was hanging up on the flywheel, that the main fuse would blow.
Take it to a shop, not the internet. Sounds a lot like a dying battery cell to me. If you hear the solenoid of the starter click, the solenoids doin its job, but with out enough amperage to spin the motor. Maybe the voltage regulator is going out on your alternator?
Take it to a shop that can perform the necessary tests
Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

it started after he replaced the clutch, and flywheel. It must be the battery. When it does it on my car it blows no fuze, but it does draw alot of current, and causes my battery meter to peg all the way over to zero volts, and as soon as I turn the key back it pops right back to 11+-1Vdc. I have an optima yellow top. and in my case it's the flywheel.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

I'm thinking it's starter/flywheel related. Mine will do this from time to time. Probably once out of every 15-20 times I start my car. Not enough that I'm too concerned. After 5-6 attempts the car will start right up.

A bad battery will crank slow and car the car to make many rapid clicks once it quits trying to crank. And usually a battery doesn't SUDDENLY go bad. You should notice the car cranking slower, and slower and slower as the days go on, but most people don't notice it until it's completly shot. If the car makes a single click and won't turn over, but will eventually start up with no issue, it is NOT the battery. It's a starter/flywheel issue. It's almost as if the ring gear and the starter don't want to line up when you hit the key. Like D420mac said, try rocking the car. I personally have never tried this, but it makes sense. I'm going to give it a try next time mine gives me trouble

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car won't start right away..pls help.