Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Evo VII GT-A ECU

Old Jun 19, 2007, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo VII GT-A ECU

Myself and some guys on Club3G.com are working on trying to get 260% load on our ECU's (for F.I. applications)... It's easy for the 5speed guys, as they can use the Evo VIII Rom through ECUFlash, and it runs perfect for them...

The problem lies with the AUTO/SPORTY tranny... I know the Evo VII GT-A came with the same INVECS II Sporty tranny, but my question is:

Would this be the same ECU pinout as a USDM VIII or a IX?

We're having problems disabling the immobilzer (we think). We can flash the Airtrek ROM(same as the Evo GT-A), but it cuts off after 9 seconds with a voltage spike (as with an immobilizer). And the Evo VIII ROM flashes just fine as well (It just won't drive our tranny).

Any help would be awesome, guys.

Last edited by Benz04GSR; Jun 19, 2007 at 07:29 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 07:33 AM

Also, If anyone has wiring diagrams of either the GT-A or the Airtrek ECU, or knows where to get them, that would be awesome.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 06:58 PM
Account Disabled

bump...
Old Jun 19, 2007, 07:00 PM
Account Disabled

and also... I suggest we try to get this into the "advanced" forum section on here...
Old Jun 19, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

The GT-A ECU is different from the Airtrek ECU .. It has additional communications lines to the ACD/AYC ECU..

The Roms are not interchangeable as the GT-A ROM is liable to burn something in the Airtrek ECU (either the ECU or certain sensors.. not sure)
Old Jun 19, 2007, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gunzo
The GT-A ECU is different from the Airtrek ECU .. It has additional communications lines to the ACD/AYC ECU..

The Roms are not interchangeable as the GT-A ROM is liable to burn something in the Airtrek ECU (either the ECU or certain sensors.. not sure)
Everything that I've found on Airtrek forums says that the Airtrek Turbo has the same ECU (Hell, it's the same Engine/Transmission). Are you 101% positive on this, because this would be a critical step in a new direction for our progress.

I don't mean to sound condescending, just NEED this info ASAP.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoEclipse01
Everything that I've found on Airtrek forums says that the Airtrek Turbo has the same ECU (Hell, it's the same Engine/Transmission). Are you 101% positive on this, because this would be a critical step in a new direction for our progress.

I don't mean to sound condescending, just NEED this info ASAP.
Everything you found on the Airtrek forums are just speculations .. heck even the engines and gearbox are different .. and yet everyone think its the same because it has the same names (ie 4G63 and W5A51)

The ECUs are the same .. but there's like 3 or more pinouts that's different ..and those 3 pinouts are the ones burning up things .. I'm probably only 100.5% sure since I've only burnt one before .. sorry ..
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

OK, then the GT-A's ECU is the same as the Evo VIII or IX?

And how come others with an Airtek have been able to flash the Evo VII GT-A ROMs to their Airtrek...

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic....o+gta&start=15

Last edited by Benz04GSR; Jun 20, 2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, can you post up some pinnouts, or even some more information about the GT-A/Airtrek... Until we get this ECU thing straight, I'm not installing my Turbo (can't afford a friggen AEM EMS)
Old Jun 20, 2007, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have to disagree with the GTA computer not working- but it maybe something to do with how old the wagon is.
I have plugged in and used a GTA ecu in my 2005 Airtrek with ZERO problems. I havent kept it because it ran on Evo7 Kernal and my stock one runs on Evo9 kernel and has quite a few extra maps for the gearbox.

There are only a couple of pins on the ecu that go to the AYC computer and these pins are empty on my loom.
No the Evo ecu dont fit-wrong plugs

What type of gearbox are you trying to control?- you may not be to control anything other than an exact GTA/Airtrek turbo gearbox.

Did you put FFFF into the immoboliser in ECUFlash or copied the number from your rom?

The best bet would be to piggyback an Evo 8 ecu onto your current one and continue to use the current one for controlling the tranny.
If you have a DSM you will have access to all the wiring diagrams. You will just need to share inputs that both units require like TPS Speed Throttle Position etc. There are not that many to share and it will run like a champ.
Ive done a similar exercise with a Tiptronic Lancer 1.8 Turbo- worked great!

Trying to do anything with the GTA or Airtrek Turbo ecu will be a lot of hard work.

I am about 2 weeks from finishing upgrading to a GT3540 and am targeting 10sec 1/4. There are so many things that the ecu does with the gearbox that no one else has found (as far as I know) and I wont be releasing ANY info until the 10second run is done.

Oh yea- we are doing it with Stock Block/Head (with headbolts)- Stock ECU and MAF- Stock Auto Box with a few adjustments physically and electronically. The only thing that may cause problems is loss of power through the stock maf, but I have a GM 3" if needed.

PM me if you need any further help.

Thanks
Aaron

Last edited by monsta; Jun 20, 2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Everything you found on the Airtrek forums are just speculations .. heck even the engines and gearbox are different .. and yet everyone think its the same because it has the same names (ie 4G63 and W5A51)

The ECUs are the same .. but there's like 3 or more pinouts that's different ..and those 3 pinouts are the ones burning up things .. I'm probably only 100.5% sure since I've only burnt one before .. sorry ..

I have had a stripped back GTA and my Airtrek Turbo side by side for several days comparing the two. There are SO many similarities its actually easier to list what not in common

Turbo and Intercooler - TD05HR-15 vs TD04HL-16T
Brembos - Airtrek got stuck with the brakes from an Evo4
AYC - AYC was available as an OPTION on 2005 Airtreks
Center Diff - Active vs Viscous (off the RS)
Interior - The GTA is bloody awfull like the EVOs
Upper Body - Ones a sedan and ones a wagon
Lack of front strut brace
Injector and fuel pump size - 510cc vs 450cc and 175lph vs 145lph
Intake manifold - Evo one vs the NA one on the Airtrek!!
Intercooler Sprayer - All the wiring is there on the Airtrek just no bottle etc
Rear suspension arms - Forged on GTA -standard on Airtrek(can be replaced though with Evo7 RS ones)
Headgasket - Thinnier one on Airtrek giving 8.8 comp ratio Vs 8.5
Extra Trans cooler - Compared to 2002-2004. Mine came with two

Things that standout as the same

Gearbox is the same - Im looking at a GTA one as I write this, as I have one as a spare
Floorplan - Chassis is identical
Shocks - The measurements of the shocks are identical there is just more gap made in fender of the Airtrek
Steering and Steering rack - Both Evo 7
Radiator
Steering wheel
Exhaust
Carpet
Cams
Pistons-block-water pump-valves etc etc
The whole wiring loom for engine
MAF and intake
Bypass valve

Just remeber that our cars are watered down evos and for very little money Ive been able undo the damage that had been done.
Some of which GTA owners do, like getting the larger size turbo and 10.5cm exhaust housing. Everyone replaces their Injectors and Fuel pump when they start to give their cars heaps.
Cams follow petty soon
and so on and so on.

Major things that were pretty cheaply done on my car for handling
Evo9 RS rear mechanical LSD
Evo9 RS front mechanical LSD
Evo 8 Front strut brace
RSR Titanium springs (for an evo7)
Evo7 RS Forged arms etc
Brembo Brakes and Discs

I prefer the viscous center diff which is inherited from early evos. Not a great fan of ACD.

The GTA is an obvious thing for Misti to do, but they must have been on drugs when they thought of the Airtrek.
Its such a mixture of parts from old and new Evos- but in a SUV crossover body.

But I like mine- Its as quick an Evo (well quicker than a standard one at mid 12sec 1/4 with current tune)
Handles 95% the same but with a little less rigidity in the rear (will be fixed with rear strut brace and Cusco lower brace)
Much nicer interior
AND ITS NOT A COP MAGNET
The following users liked this post:
Welderboy (Jan 20, 2024)
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

We're running an INVECS II Sporty tranny from a 2001-2005 Eclipse GS.

So you would say that the only way is to run dual ECU's? I've seen this done, and would REALLY like to avoid it...

Yes, the immobilizer is "deleted" by FFFF, which is why it was weird that it kept on pulling the immobilizer type killswitch.

I thank you so much for not giving false information, and actually trying to help. Do you happen to have the pinnouts on the Evo GT-A?

Also, what year model is your Airtrek?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 02:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by monsta
I have had a stripped back GTA and my Airtrek Turbo side by side for several days comparing the two. There are SO many similarities its actually easier to list what not in common

Things that standout as the same

Gearbox is the same - Im looking at a GTA one as I write this, as I have one as a spare
Pistons-block-water pump-valves etc etc
The whole wiring loom for engine
MAF and intake
Bypass valve

I prefer the viscous center diff which is inherited from early evos. Not a great fan of ACD.
Gear box is NOT the same .. same part number .. yes .. I had both too .. strip it apart .. and you'll know ..

Pistons are NOT the same .. though size wise it is .. dunno if you're referring to that ..

Block is NOT the same .. though it has the same number .. check the coolant passages ..

Head is NOT the same .. most of the differences are internal and all of it are coolant passages .. the cams/valvesprings retainers are different ..

MAF is NOT the same .. and it's not interchangeable ..

Semantics wise .. you're right .. it's easier to state what's different than what's not .. but its all these weird differences that adds up ..

BTW .. I also noticed there are TWO versions of GT-A .. a JDM/EDM and an export Aussie version .. hmm ..

Good luck on your GT3540 .. your gearbox is not going to hold .. it's going to be the 1st to go .. heck mine can't even hold a smallish GT30 ..
Old Jun 21, 2007, 02:08 AM
Evolving Member

My Airtrek is a 2005- It was the last one to be shipped to New Zealand.

What you might want to do is flash the car again with the rom image, start the car(or try to) and see if you pull any codes. This may give you an idea of any problems.
I dont have the pinouts with me for a couple of days, but I can PM you @Monday US time with them.
That will be the easiest way, because if the plugs are the same as the 3G(which im sure they will be) there may only be a couple of pinout swaps to be able to run a GTA or Airtrek ECU.

You wouldnt be able to PM me a copy of your 3G rom image and definition(if I dont already have it)?
It would be interesting to see where the auto maps are in that ecu.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

Gear box is NOT the same .. same part number .. yes .. I had both too .. strip it apart .. and you'll know ..

Pistons are NOT the same .. though size wise it is .. dunno if you're referring to that ..

Block is NOT the same .. though it has the same number .. check the coolant passages ..

Head is NOT the same .. most of the differences are internal and all of it are coolant passages .. the cams/valvesprings retainers are different ..

MAF is NOT the same .. and it's not interchangeable ..

Semantics wise .. you're right .. it's easier to state what's different than what's not .. but its all these weird differences that adds up ..

BTW .. I also noticed there are TWO versions of GT-A .. a JDM/EDM and an export Aussie version .. hmm ..

Good luck on your GT3540 .. your gearbox is not going to hold .. it's going to be the 1st to go .. heck mine can't even hold a smallish GT30 ..

The only thing different between the two gearboxes are the gears themselves. This has no effect on the ECU.

NONE of the parameters you listed as different have ANYTHING to do with the ECU maps (excep the MAF size, which can be changed).

To Monsta- We're trying to use a 2002/03 ROM. The 2005 has a different memory size (Evo IX base), as you stated, and will not flash our car. The transmission parameters of the 3G won't work for you, as we have a 4 speed Sporty, not a 5 speed...

Where can I host the ROM/Definition to let you d/l it?

Also, can you post a GT-A ROM for me to toy with?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo VII GT-A ECU