Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dry Cone filter vs. Oil Cone filter

Old Oct 4, 2009, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dry Cone filter vs. Oil Cone filter

Whats up people. I have an Evo X GSR, completely stock right now, but I am thinking of taking out the air box and installing a cone filter. I am going to leave on the scoop and front half of the airbox to increase cold air flow. I am debating whether to get a K&N or an AEM. I spoke with a couple of friends and they said that they used to use a K&N but switched to a dry filter because after a while, they opened their throttle body and said it was BLACK. They cleaned it and switched to a dry filter and that problem never happened again. Anyone else that uses an oiled filter looked at their throttle body lately? I know that they perform better than a dry filter, but at what cost? Any input?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

have you tried the k&n drop in panel filter ? I have it and its very good .
plus unless you are going to get a cold air setup changing to another ram air is pretty redundent . plus the drop in filter islike 40 bucks .. just my 2cents
good luck
Old Oct 4, 2009, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

The stock air box can support 350 crank hp easily, I'd just do the drop in. The HKS green foam one didn't seem up to the task of filtering as well as it could have- now I'm running the Ralliart one from Mitsubishi.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 09:56 AM

Is there any HP gain from a drop in? What is the gain vs. a cone filter? Will a drop in filter bring out the sound of the turbo/bov like a cone does?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:31 PM

sry to bring this back, but im still looking for input... anyone?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Open filter will be louder and you will be able to hear the bov. Gains should be close ~10whp.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drop-in filter.

If you're looking for power, get a tune. You have a few shops within an hour or two. Schedule an appointment, it takes 1-2 hours.

If you're looking for blow off sound, get a cone filter.

It all depends what you are looking for....power or sound?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:59 PM

cone filters have larger surface area, so it lets the engine breath easier, = more power. You'll need a custom retune with conefilter because the MAF reading will be off.

aem dry filter v.s. k&n oil filter? I've seen test results showing aem dry filter flowing less than competitor's filters
Old Nov 1, 2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by steinvb12
Drop-in filter.

If you're looking for power, get a tune. You have a few shops within an hour or two. Schedule an appointment, it takes 1-2 hours.

If you're looking for blow off sound, get a cone filter.

It all depends what you are looking for....power or sound?
Where are the shops near me?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 03:43 PM

Well I got in on the Autozone cone filter experiment that was posted somewhere around here. And for 24.99, you cant go wrong. I absolutley noticed a difference.

So much misinfo on the subject though. you do not need to recalibrate your pcm for a filter. you arent changing the maf housing. If you choose to buy a filter that requires oil, dont over oil it. That is the biggest cause for maf failures.

I made my own intake, everyone that sees it says "where did you buy that?"
Old Nov 1, 2009, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike100
The stock air box can support 350 crank hp easily
I don't understand why people even say this. All you have to do is drop in a bigger turbo and all of a sudden the stock air box, air filter, UICP, LICP, intake (turbo inlet), intercooler, throttle body, intake manifold and entire exhaust is easily supporting 400-450 crank hp.

Now throw on any drop-in filter like a K&N or full cold air intake and you'll obviously get gains on top of what the turbo gave. The argument that the stock air box can support XXX power doesn't even matter, because intakes on these cars are known to free up some power in a tune.

I've never had problems with oiled filters, and I've cleaned a few oiled K&N filters and re-oiled afterwards without over-doing it and causing any problems. I've also seen the throttlebody after 10k miles of using an oiled cone filter and it looked just fine, no black gunk or build up.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Frankiago
I don't understand why people even say this. All you have to do is drop in a bigger turbo and all of a sudden the stock air box, air filter, UICP, LICP, intake (turbo inlet), intercooler, throttle body, intake manifold and entire exhaust is easily supporting 400-450 crank hp.

Now throw on any drop-in filter like a K&N or full cold air intake and you'll obviously get gains on top of what the turbo gave. The argument that the stock air box can support XXX power doesn't even matter, because intakes on these cars are known to free up some power in a tune.

I've never had problems with oiled filters, and I've cleaned a few oiled K&N filters and re-oiled afterwards without over-doing it and causing any problems. I've also seen the throttlebody after 10k miles of using an oiled cone filter and it looked just fine, no black gunk or build up.

I think what they mean is that it doent turn into a restriction until 350. but I find that hard to beleive too. Perrin actually requires that you use the stock airbox on there stage 3 program
Old Nov 4, 2009, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the input... Because there are mixed opinions, I went with the Cosworth dry drop-in panel filter. I think it is the safest bet and should give me a couple hp. I'm going to get my car tuned as soon as I can find someone around Va. Beach, Va. to do it.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the works drop in gain during our dyno day up here in Toronto was great. off the top of my head I think there was a 13hp or so gain on the dyno dynamics dyno. The K&N drop in should perform well. even if its plus or minus a few points, it will see add HP and TQ for sure. We also did testing on running with no filter. and the results were interesting

Getting to the oil vs. dry. I think the performance will be pretty close, we will be testing publishing our second round of testing in the new year so we will be able to look more into that question.

the first round of testing from earlier this year is in this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...round-1-a.html
Old Nov 4, 2009, 02:18 PM
WAM
Evolving Member

X's are tuned excessively rich from the factory. A low restriction air filter helps correct the air-fuel ratio, so gains power. But a good tune totally fixes the ratio so filter choice isn't important, except that you want to tune after you choose a filter, not before. If you're going for a tune, I'd choose a filter known for it's filtering capability rather than flow. IE, stock or stock equivalent. Someone mentioned using a Ralliart filter on an X? What's that about?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dry Cone filter vs. Oil Cone filter