Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MR won't shift into 6th gear?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR won't shift into 6th gear?!

Before i can find time to take it into the dealership, i want to know if there's anything i can check or do first... basically the transmission won't go into 6th gear at all. Like it's completely blocked off. Now that i think about it, it has been getting a bit hard to shift into 6th gear lately, before this problem. The car is an 06 MR, under 28k miles, never been abused or ever seen a track. Basic mods are intake, APS dual vent (came with the car) and Megan catback.

Would it just be a matter of adjusting the shifter cable or links or something more serious internally? I do have the 5 year/60k limited warranty (being second owner), but im concerned that the dealership may turn my down by stating that it was caused by abuse or even because of my mods. But i've read here that there's a TSB about the 6-speeds' synchro rings or something; is that true? I'd have to depend on that i guess.

I appreciate any help on this matter.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Changed trans fluid yet manual say 15000 miles.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ do that first. fuilds might be bad or might be low in amount. do this asap because if your fluid levels are low you might roast your tranny. while u r at it might as well change your tc and rear diff. buy the fluids from mitsu. the tranny fuilds is expensive. $100+
Old Mar 31, 2008, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the replies. I know the manual says to change it at 30k, but i don't know if it was changed at 15k. I will do that tomorrow morning and let you know the results.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Slider spring or synchro spring

looks like this when it breaks and then you have NO 6TH GEAR AT ALL:

Name:  DSM5spd-4thvsMRcluster-2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  130.9 KB

Mine didnt break until about 420whp and ALOT OF ABUSE, typically at stock levels or with a sane driver its not going to happen.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

^^So your not sane then
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

I was slamming my shift into fifth. When you are losing to a honda at the track the rule is win. I made a mistake and shifted and "brickwalled" the shift and the spring was probably already weak from other 5th gear shifts (drag racing not street) that day and was eff you I'm out.

The internals are okay when that happens, it just doesnt shift into 6th.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Aaron the broke spring was part of it but the real reason you could not go into 6th was the slider was so buried up from grinding that it could not slide back over the hub to engage 6th.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

I stand corrected. There you have it then
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just take the thing in, man. ASAP. If the fluid is low they are going to replace it anyway and hopefully fix the problem. If they give you a tough time about abuse or something, just explain to them you are following the service recommendations and according to that, you shouldnt have to change the trans oil before 30k. For s street car, thats a pretty realistc scenario.

Dont worry about the dealer. If you are straight up and nice to them, dont try to hide stuff and act like you value their service, they should treat you fine.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I was slamming my shift into fifth. When you are losing to a honda at the track the rule is win. I made a mistake and shifted and "brickwalled" the shift and the spring was probably already weak from other 5th gear shifts (drag racing not street) that day and was eff you I'm out.

The internals are okay when that happens, it just doesnt shift into 6th.
I see...takes note (dont't lose to honda ) Btw just something quick for the guy to check if he wants. A good way to tell if the fluid is indeed low is just to take the fill plug out. If fluid comes out you are good if not its probably a bit low. Too me this is more than a fluid problem. All gears should technically equally shift bad if the fluid were that low. I've seen a few people report broken shift linkages/cables going into 5th but that was for the 5spd iirc. May be worth taking a peak but I highly doubt thats your problem.

Last edited by dbsears; Apr 1, 2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 03:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a similar but funny experience with a shifting problem. It happened right after i installed my Nisei Upper intercooler pipes with mini battery. 1st and 2nd were hard to shift into. Drove it around thinking maybe its cold, but that didnt help..just got worse. So i look under the hood at the Top of the tranny where the linkage goes too. Behold the shorter Intercooler pipe lowered the hose for the stock Diverter Valve. It was resting on the quadrant that controls shifting. Couldn't see it when installing because i was in neutral and on my lift.

So yah long story short...check the linkage first and make sure nothing binding. Its a easy thing to check before you take it in.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

It has NOTHING to do with the fluids, it is the synchros, our cars have that problem all the time. Before anyone starts asking how I know, I own an MR and it has happened to me 2 time. I would call Mitsubishi and tell them and talk REALLY nice to the service guy at the stealership. I got lucky and am getting mine fixed under warranty, just look at all my mods I have posted. They need the work due to the recession............. PM for how to get it done under warranty with mods on your car.....
Old Apr 13, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by monkey_187
It has NOTHING to do with the fluids, it is the synchros, our cars have that problem all the time. Before anyone starts asking how I know, I own an MR and it has happened to me 2 time. I would call Mitsubishi and tell them and talk REALLY nice to the service guy at the stealership. I got lucky and am getting mine fixed under warranty, just look at all my mods I have posted. They need the work due to the recession............. PM for how to get it done under warranty with mods on your car.....
I'm interested in this. Car doesn't have any mods at this time but I'm the second owner. It may have had an exhaust and boost gauge at one point. I called a dealer in Houston and they said they have to do a tear down and inspect before honoring the warranty. The guy said the need to determine if it was due to abuse or low fluid. The car has around 25,500 miles.

Last edited by icrnk; Apr 13, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 08:30 AM

Having what appears to be the exact same issue with an 06 MR. Dealer says they'll have to tear the transmission down and might not be covered under warranty.

This is an original owner car with ~9100 miles on it. Meticulously maintained.

Any course of action if the dealer doesn't provide coverage under warranty?

Have to love the "stealerships"...

Thanks and regards,
Scott

Quick Reply: MR won't shift into 6th gear?!