Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

new 2.1 motor oil leak comming from exhaust manifold..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new 2.1 motor oil leak comming from exhaust manifold..

i did my normal walk around check, from engine bay to the exhaust during warm up before i drive my car and i noticed light blk smoke comming from the exhaust, so i immediately looked in the engine bay and i saw oil on the vband area of the exhaust mani to turbo, and lower down the pipe at the vband o2 housing to downpipe. So i immediately shut off the car to inspect the leak.. this is what i found.

motor is still in break in less then 300 miles. Anyone else have had this problem?

i assume its the valve seals/piston rings.. maybe head gasket?

any help would be great. thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

I am looking at the pictures, but I can't really get a perspective of what I'm looking at.

If the exhaust manifold has new studs mounted into the head, I know it is possible that oil may be coming from one of those.

Take a mirror and look at the lower mounting points on the exhaust manifold.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude
I am looking at the pictures, but I can't really get a perspective of what I'm looking at.

If the exhaust manifold has new studs mounted into the head, I know it is possible that oil may be coming from one of those.

Take a mirror and look at the lower mounting points on the exhaust manifold.
This is the first thing that came to my mind. Check that out first. Pull the manifold off and look at the gasket. If there's oil on it, put some loctite on the studs and you'll be fine.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

the second pic is the o2 housing.. t3 ff kit. Oil is definetly comming from the runners. There is no leak around the exhaust mani gasket where it bolts up to the head.

My question is, is there suppose to be any oil at all comming out with exhaust gas? if so how much oil are we talking about? At idle i have about 2 cap full leaking out after 2 mins.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:45 PM

Not to ask a dumb question but what head Gasket are you using I had used a cometic Gasket and mine did the same thing and never again will I use cometic ever. Just my thoughts might be wrong but check and see if the Gasket is leaking?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:31 PM

Exclamation Process of elimination

Looking at the first picture, if the black area on the "T-Bolt V-Band Clamp" bolt is the oil you are referring to leaking at the "V-Band" and then again on the other side of the turbine housing in the second picture on the down-pipe, I would pull the exhaust manifold off and find what cylinder exhaust port the oil is coming from. By the looks of the relatively large amount of oil coming out of the turbine housing it will be easy to see once the exhaust manifold is off. At that point, look down the port, if it is coming from a valve stem seal failure, then most likely the bowl area around the exhaust valve will be relatively dry and the area of the exhaust port from the valve stem out will be wet with oil. It would be very unlikely that it could be a piston ring issue given the large amount of oil that is leaking. and the fact that you have not mentioned that the Motor was idling rough, indicating a ring/compression problem. Also if you are going to have a problem with a valve seal it usually will occur sooner rather than later after the seals have been replaced.

Good Luck, and sorry that this happened on your new motor.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO-EVO-EVO
Looking at the first picture, if the black area on the "T-Bolt V-Band Clamp" bolt is the oil you are referring to leaking at the "V-Band" and then again on the other side of the turbine housing in the second picture on the down-pipe, I would pull the exhaust manifold off and find what cylinder exhaust port the oil is coming from. By the looks of the relatively large amount of oil coming out of the turbine housing it will be easy to see once the exhaust manifold is off. At that point, look down the port, if it is coming from a valve stem seal failure, then most likely the bowl area around the exhaust valve will be relatively dry and the area of the exhaust port from the valve stem out will be wet with oil. It would be very unlikely that it could be a piston ring issue given the large amount of oil that is leaking. and the fact that you have not mentioned that the Motor was idling rough, indicating a ring/compression problem. Also if you are going to have a problem with a valve seal it usually will occur sooner rather than later after the seals have been replaced.

Good Luck, and sorry that this happened on your new motor.
I will be doing a compression test then pulling off the mani fold and the turbo to inspect both. I hope its the turbo spitting out oil instead of the head/motor, since majority is comming from the hotside. , motor idles fine afr's are normal Thnx.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

DO a compression test first. Depending on your results you may opt to put a cap of oil in the chamber to see if your compression goes up, if it does more than likely its a ring issue.

Secondly if you do not find anything out of the norm, perform a leak down test if they all checks out well then pull the turbo and inspect.
Old May 19, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

To close this out motor was fine, precision turbos feed needs to be at 12 o'clock. Mine was at 11.. It caused it to leak oil.