Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

EMS: Beginners guide on how to get running.

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EMS: Beginners guide on how to get running.

First of all, the disclaimer: I am not a certified tuner and I am just a beginner but I'd like to share what I have learned with a bit of trial and error. Follow these procedures at your own risk.

This is a how to for conversion to speed density on EMS v1.19. My car is near stock with nothing that would cause obvious problems with the base calibration. No fuel injectors, Cams, or cam gears (cam gears require syncing of timing)

Installation:

Follow the instructions on this link.
http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=6696

To allow for automapping install your wideband o2 wiring in to the o2#1 pin #76. I am using a zeitronix unit and have had very accurate results between the EMS and the LCD on the zeitronix (more on this later).

Setup:

Once everything is installed, plug lap top in to EMS and start EMS software. Hit connect, then turn key to the ON position. Upload the 1313 MAP.V1.19.cal file.

When this is completed there will be some immediate things that need to be fixed.

First calibrate the throttle position sensor. You will find this in configure. Follow on screen instructions.

Second, under setup choose the coolant temperature sensor wizard, and then select Mitsubishi (All). This is NOT set up correctly in the base calibration and caused me hours of headache.

Third, open the o2 sensor #1 calibration table and input the values that correspond to voltage from the documentation of your wideband o2. This is important to have accurate o2 readings. Now set the gain to 0. If the voltage/reading tables are accurate then there will be no need to use gain. If they are off you may use the gain setting to adjust the values untill they correspond both in the EMS and the wideband gauge.

Now that this basic setup is done it is time to start the car. But I'd recommend reinstalling the stock ECU and all the regular sensors and getting the car warm first. Then, once the car is at operating temperature, convert back to speed density and plug the EMS back in. This will keep the car out of the warm up enrichment table.

Give her a rip. It will take a bit to get it started. EMS likes to crank a few times before it even tries to start, this is normal. Feather the throttle untill the idle control circuit catches. Now get out the AEMPro Users Guide and turn to page 86. Here you will find great step by step procedures for getting the Idle % vs. Target table setup correctly. My only change would be instead of starting this procedure at 3000 rpms, start at 1500 rpms. The idle stepper motor in the Evo won't allow the car to idle at 3000 rpms. I would get through this as fast as you can because your care is running filthy rich and spewing out black smoke, while your plugs are getting fouled.

Once this is complete, switch to your fuel table and start to lean out the idle fuel till you are at about 14.0 AFR. Use the Follow ECU check box to automatically stay with the load box, also use the + and - keys to add and subtract fuel. The evo normally idles at 14.7 AFR, so I say 14.0 to be safe. Now rev the throttle until you can adjust the cells around the idle cell. You should now have a reasonable idea on where the numbers should be. Error on the high side for safety.

I don’t have a dyno, so I will be road tuning until I can get it custom tuned. I stared by slowly driving around a parking lot until I could get into other cells and tune them to the correct AFR. Use the chart in the AEM EFI Basics V1.3.pdf for turbo charged vehicles to figure out where you should be at for each cell. Once you have what you can tune in the parking lot done move to an empty street where you can get in to higher cells. This should make the car very drivable.

Now for automapping. Fill in the AFR values in the Fuel Target map to correct and SAFE values. Now right click on the Log chart and initialize automapping, then start automapping. Go for a drive. Watch your AFR and don’t do anything too stupid. This will get you a pretty good fuel map.

On to ignition. Oh wait, I don’t know anything about ignition timing other than keeping your EGT at a safe temperature. More on this as I update this page.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Real tuners, if you have any comments for me let me know I'd love to learn and share the info with others.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for this. This can be a real lifesaver for those who have not tuned or messed with an AEM (like me).

I was actually planning to do the same thing on the ecu switch you stated. It will make it a whole lot easier to adjust the aem when the car has already warmed up. For the cold start.... that's a whole different ball game!
Old Aug 17, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

This thread should be stickyed. I've done tuning on the AEM before and this was still very helpful. Only thing I did differently was tuned the fuel around the idle rpm before I messed with the Idle % vs Target table. This way I wasn't fouling my plugs.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 01:49 AM
Evolving Member

Nice info for sure.