Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Car wont start AEM,stat sync'd off!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2010, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car wont start AEM,stat sync'd off!

I was driving down the road, pulling pretty hard 2nd to 3rd, car just lost power and died. Found gas leaking pretty good near injectors/rail id2000. Fixed leak, fuel pump priming AEM normal cycle, fuel pump guage reads up to 50 while priming but settles to 30, car will not start still. Doesn't seem to be getting spark, grounded sparkplug and no spark...checked all the plugs, really black but white on the top. Ran AEMPRO my friend told me to look at stat sync'd and it shows off the whole time during cranking. I have no clue when it comes to using the AEMPRO stuff but I can get around as I play with it offline. Not sure where to start with this, I didn't see any intercooler pipes off, and I didn't hear anything abnormal before it died. Bypassed the HKS DLI box deal and it didn't start. Checked all the fuses, no issues there. Any ideas.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:01 AM

I'm going to try replacing the cam sensor, see if that gets it.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:39 PM

That didn't seem to work either, crank sensor...probably not, AEM going bad?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude the same exact thing happened to me yesterday. If the cam sensor doesn't fix it I'm going back with the stock ecu.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I know you said you checked all fuses. Did you just check the fuses under the hood, or did you check the ones under the dash as well? My car died once like that, and it turned out the ignition fuse had popped. It's the 10 amp in the top left corner of the fuse block under the dash. Hopefully that's all it is. Good luck.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 12:50 PM

I checked all the fuses...even the ones under the dash, I'll check that one again. I'm going to replace the crank sensor next on weds, so I'll see if that works. It probably wont fix it, because I'm thinking the cam sensor would go bad alot easier than the crank due to heat from the exhaust but we'll see. I think the AEM is going bad or is bad.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
please, check the following Parameters before changing the sensor:

T1PER = Crank sensor period ( it it changes during cranking, sensor works like it should )
T2PER = Cam sensor period ( it it changes during cranking, sensor works like it should )
T3PER = Speed sensor period ( it it changes during driving, sensor works like it should )
T4PER = Maf sensor sensor period

If one of those doesnt show an change
Its the sensor or the wiring

cheers
Steffen
Old Sep 6, 2010, 06:40 PM

I checked those parameters...I didn't see, T1PER, I had Crank tooth period which read 13560 or something like that and the numbers didn't change during cranking and below crank tooth period there was T2PER which had some numbers and they changed during cranking. I saw T3PER and it read zero the whole time and T4PER had some numbers but they didn't change during cranking. So it looks like my Crank sensor is bad afterall right?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My problem ended up being the crank sensor. Not sure what happened but it went bad. Hope yours is the same thing and not something more expensive. Good luck!
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
So it looks like the crank sensor or wiring is bad, because T1per isnt changing.

Its easy to identify.
The sensor has 3 wires, connector is below sparkplug cover

Red should be +12V ( check that with DVM, connector attached to loom )
Black is ground ( check that with DVM, connector attached to loom )
Blue is Signal : 0V or 5 volt depending Crank plate position ( check that with DVM, connector attached to loom )

Check with connected sensor
DVM from Blue wire to ground, turn crank by hand ( 22mm socket and extension, turn CW )
Every 1/4 turn it should change between +5V and 0V

If it does, its the wiring from connector to EMS ( check Crank Pickup in parameters list in AEMPRO )
If it doesnt change, its the sensor.

Steffen
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:12 PM

Cool German evo I'll check that tomorrow, good thing your smart! Crazy smart! I have no clue where my volt meter is I'll grab one on my way home. I did talk with a AEM rep. He said load the AEM base map to make sure my map isn't causing it...if its still reading no change, he said try putting the AEM in another evo and crank it to see if they change verifing my sensor is bad. Seeing how there are no other evo viii around here in roswell,nm I'm going to do it your way, I'll let you know, thanks for the help very much appreciated.

How do you know it was your crank sensor fly, I dont think I can tackle that job replacing it myself. You going back to Stock ecu now....
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:39 AM

Interested in solution if you find it. I have similar symptoms but without the initial fuel leak you described.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:49 PM

Well my buddy put the crank sensor in...it started and ran really crappy for a bit. We shut it down and reloaded the map thinking it was messed up. Started and ran crappy again and shut it down. It hasn't started again since then. We are thinking its the sensor blade/ninja star/trigger wheel, whatever you want to call it. It might be bent or off enough that the crank sensor might not be picking it up or is breaking the sensor due to it being bent. We are going to replace both again pretty soon, so I'll post again...Stat Sync is off again, and we put the AEM in another car and it reads on so the AEM is good.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

any update on this?