Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

A/C Fan Stays on with key and No start

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Fan Stays on with key and No start

Hello all, I finally got the AEM EMS in the car and when I turn the key on the AC fan comes on and stays on. I do not know a lot about tuning however I was starting to get somewhat comfortable with the stock ecu. The AEM program is taking me some time to understand though. I am trying to get this running on an OmniPower 4 bar MAP with E85 and FIC 2150cc injectors. Where can I go to get a good base start up MAP? I have not ran the car on speed density with the stock ecu but I was planning to switch it over with the AEM. Any help is appreciated!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Bump???
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

I could never get that omni 4 bar to work. Get an Aem 3.5 or 5 bar to start with. Also if you did not load a tune into the Aem ecu then it will not start.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Do you have a Series I EMS (30-1313) or Series II (30-6310)? Either way, you must load a base calibration before anything will work correctly. All base calibrations are included with the free software available at www.aemelectronics.com.

The fan will fun full speed if it does not receive a signal from the PWM fan controller, as it's set up as a Normally-Closed circuit. It's probably not getting a signal since the EMS doesn't have an appropriate calibration loaded.

If it's a Series II EMS, there's a wizard for the OMNI 4-bar MAP. If it's a Series I, change these values under Setup --> Sensors --> Manifold Absolute Pressure --> Options - MAP.

MAP Min Volts 0
MAP Max Volts 4.8
Load Offset 0
Load Scalar 4

OR, just take it to a tuner. In fact, yeah, just do that.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

I had the exact same problem. Make sure that you have all your sensors wired up correctly. I had two wires mixed up for my map senor and the fan would just come on, I wouldn't be able to connect to the ecu, and the car wouln't start.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Bringing this back up.. wanted to give some info.. for anyone in the future that runs across this problem (like I did w/ my v2 ems).

Main fan would stay on... before starting, after starting.. until key off.

Changing the inputs made no difference... even cut the wires that are supposed to control the fan finally.. still on

After hours of troubleshooting, testing, unhooking all my relays that run the fuel pump/coils etc (my setup is unique) I finally determined it was nothing I had done (just wanted to make sure). Something was powering the fan from the ECU (stock ecu didnt have this issue).

So my solution was to tap into the fuse box, and take control over the wire that turns on the fan relay. I ran a wire to that, and to the aem ems.. tapped into pin 31 on the ecu (have to add a connector to the plug)... then in the software, you tell Idle8 to run your Radiator Fan 1.. set it up how you want it, temps etc.. and bam.. good to go.

I don't know what was to blame in my case.. but if someone else runs across this issue and can't figure it out.. a solution like this might come into play!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:02 PM

Main fan wich is radiator fan is controlled by PW user table on ls9 output on AEM series 2 with 1.24 calibrations, if you have the 2.02 firmware there is no ls9 anymore (3.2 aem tuner) so the main fan will be not controlled, so you have to move to ls1 and assign the output to the PW user table to control de fans duty cycle

hope this helps
Old Jul 16, 2015, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kartectuning
Main fan wich is radiator fan is controlled by PW user table on ls9 output on AEM series 2 with 1.24 calibrations, if you have the 2.02 firmware there is no ls9 anymore (3.2 aem tuner) so the main fan will be not controlled, so you have to move to ls1 and assign the output to the PW user table to control de fans duty cycle

hope this helps
I brought this issue to AEM's attention after the V2.02 release for Evo 8 and 9's, here is the response I received from them after an engineer looked into the issue.

Evo 8 - What is happening is the new firmware de-selects some output pin functions. To fix this, pull up your User 1 PW output and set it to LS2. You will also need to turn ON User 1 PW Inv. Once you do this, the rad fan should function like normal.

Evo 9 - For an EVO 9 the fan control is on LS9 instead of LS2 like the EVO 8. Other than that it’s the same. LS9 was removed on our 2V02 upgrade for some reason that was not implied. If you want to keep the factory PWM fan control, you could move the wire from pin 18 (LS9) to pin 26 (LS2).
Old Jan 20, 2016, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thnx!
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by itzwolf
I brought this issue to AEM's attention after the V2.02 release for Evo 8 and 9's, here is the response I received from them after an engineer looked into the issue.

Evo 8 - What is happening is the new firmware de-selects some output pin functions. To fix this, pull up your User 1 PW output and set it to LS2. You will also need to turn ON User 1 PW Inv. Once you do this, the rad fan should function like normal.

Evo 9 - For an EVO 9 the fan control is on LS9 instead of LS2 like the EVO 8. Other than that it’s the same. LS9 was removed on our 2V02 upgrade for some reason that was not implied. If you want to keep the factory PWM fan control, you could move the wire from pin 18 (LS9) to pin 26 (LS2).
Did it worked???
Old Jul 9, 2016, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shangai
did it worked???
bump!:d
Old Jul 10, 2016, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
bump!:d
I can give you the settings for a AEM Series Two, Evo IX. Is that your vehicle and AEM?

Don
Old Jul 10, 2016, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Roadrunr
I can give you the settings for a AEM Series Two, Evo IX. Is that your vehicle and AEM?

Don
Mine its an 8 but aem ver2. Wich setting are you talking? Does your fan stays off till the engine its running?
Old Jul 10, 2016, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine its an 8 but aem ver2. Wich setting are you talking? Does your fan stays off till the engine its running?

An eight is different than the IX. My settings would not work.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Ok but did you get to turn off the fan (switch ON) till the engine start runing ?

Quick Reply: A/C Fan Stays on with key and No start