Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

AEM EMS Series 2 Setup Issues.. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM EMS Series 2 Setup Issues.. HELP!

Finished my 2003 Evo build, installed and wired the AEM and just trying to get the car started and having a heck of a time getting it started. Need some assistance.

Here is my wiring (let me know if anything looks off):

AEM Wideband (35-8460)
: Signal --> Pin 76 on ECU connector

AEM 5bar MAP sensor (AEM 30-2130-75)
: Sensor Power --> Pin 81 (tapped)
: MAP Signal --> Pin 73 (stock wire removed and replaced with signal wire from sensor)
: Sensor Ground --> Pin 92 (tapped)

AEM AIT Sensor (30-2010)
: AIT --> Pin 72 (stock wire removed and replaced with AIT signal wire)
: Ground --> Pin 92 (tapped)

GM Flex Fuel Sensor
: Signal --> Pin 24 (stock wire removed and replaced with flex signal wire)

------------------

First of all, I cannot get the AEM EMS to detect engine rotation. This pointed me to check the Cam and Crank Angle Sensors.

Electrical:
I checked the signal wire to the corresponding pin on the ECU harness and the wiring is good. Checked sensor power and ground - that checked out as well. I replaced the BOTH sensors with new ones, just in case.

Mechanical:
I checked the cam position with TDC and also the CAS trigger at TDC to make sure it is in the correct position. I also checked the Crank Angle Sensor installation to make sure it was in correct. Also checked the crank trigger plate to make sure it is in correctly since it was removed when the AMS race balance shaft kit was installed. Everything checked out.

Strange thing is this.. In the AEM EMS setup wizard if I select the CAM/Crank sensor to a 2g DSM 6 bolt one - The AEM then detects engine rotation and the car will backfire once when cranking after about 5 sec.. Never starts. This is with the Evo 8 base calibration. If I change the CAM/Crank sensor back to the Evo one, it stops detecting engine rotation and it won't try and start. Below is a picture of the timing errors and other info.. This is from trying to start it a couple times.

I am not sure why it's working when I tell the AEM I have a 2g DSM Crank Angle Sensor and on top of that why it won't start when it does detect engine rotation. I have a Evo8 CAS, Evo8 Engine, and Evo8 Cam Angle Sensor..

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 01:35 PM

So the photo is from cranking while using the DSM sensor? Do you get stat sync'd turned on?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 01:55 PM

The photo is when I have the DSM sensor selected in the AEM setup - I actually don't have a DSM 2g Sensor - it's an Evo Sensor. I just bought a new one and installed it.

Stat Sync does turn on.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by memphis raynes
The photo is when I have the DSM sensor selected in the AEM setup - I actually don't have a DSM 2g Sensor - it's an Evo Sensor. I just bought a new one and installed it.

Stat Sync does turn on.
If stat sync'd turns on with the evo sensors, do you get stat cranking turned on?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If stat sync turns on your car should start. You can try to hook a timing light to coil 1, and see if you get it to flash while cranking.

I would load the base cal for an evo 8, and then adjust for your injectors and see if you can get the car to turn over. Also 9 times out of ten, if you get stat sync but it wont turn over, then you more than likely need more fuel. Add 10% to your fuel map, and try again. Repeat.

Try to post your cal somewhere, you might just be missing something. Also post up a full mods list with the cal.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by TheBoz
If stat sync turns on your car should start. You can try to hook a timing light to coil 1, and see if you get it to flash while cranking.

I would load the base cal for an evo 8, and then adjust for your injectors and see if you can get the car to turn over. Also 9 times out of ten, if you get stat sync but it wont turn over, then you more than likely need more fuel. Add 10% to your fuel map, and try again. Repeat.

Try to post your cal somewhere, you might just be missing something. Also post up a full mods list with the cal.
Yeah, it turns on. I did hook a timing light to #1 and have spark..

I will try and add more fuel, just a little aprehensive to because of the backfiring and wanted to get some opinions before I went any further..

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

FWIW, the 2g DSM has a very similar pattern to the USDM Evo 8, but it IS different. The 2g DSM pattern is the same as the European Evo 8 models. As such, they're treated differently by the AEM EMS.

Is it possible this is not the original cam/crank sensor from your car (which I assume is a USDM model)?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 99EclipseGSX
FWIW, the 2g DSM has a very similar pattern to the USDM Evo 8, but it IS different. The 2g DSM pattern is the same as the European Evo 8 models. As such, they're treated differently by the AEM EMS.

Is it possible this is not the original cam/crank sensor from your car (which I assume is a USDM model)?
I thought the same thing so I ordered a brand new EVO8 Crank Sensor and Installed it and the same thing happens.. Only works if I have the 2G DSM one selected in the AEM Setup. Very Strange!

I even installed a brand new Cam Angle Sensor for EVO8 just in case..
Old Jan 3, 2014, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's you injector status. I had a set of FIC that locked up because they sat over winter with e85 in them. Car would spartically fire on one cylinder. Sent the injector to FIC for a cleaning, re-installed, car fired right up
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:46 PM

Brand spankin new FIC 2150's.. They should be fine.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 09:34 AM

I fixed it!

I decided to double check my wiring again and I had the 5v and ground wires backwards on my map sensor. Rewired it, and like magic everything works like it should.

Now onto tuning with Tscomptuned..