Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

AEM CDIs > carboard/paper inside unit, aftermath dead unit

Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM CDIs > carboard/paper inside unit, aftermath dead unit

for all folks that have/had problems with AEM CDI here is your answer why...

Hi,

I have everything in my car from AEM:
V1 EMS + UEGO
EPM
Coils
CDI

and now is it just my luck or not I have "two" burnt CDI, fist V1 one that I got used was dead and found out that hard way when everything was wired in car and ready to be mapped and we had no spark, bought new CDIs (this time I got 2 of those V2 one new one barely used) and now after car was finally running and we did mapping I went to track and second CDI decided not to work, didn't even make one lap, so all that was happening that day was big costs...

Got home mad as hell.

It was a nightmare to found out what's causing burnt fuse in my car for electronics part of it (display, logger, EMS, CDI ...) after all tests done I got to the CDI and the story is now documented with video...

I decided to open unit and see WTF is going on, what's inside that's being so poor made that this units work such a short amount of time, opened unit and there was surprise inside 6 MOSFET transistors and just two of those connected on heat sink/cooler and other four isolated from heat sink/cooler with paper/cardboard and what I found out later these four uncooled ones are the ones that are responsible for coils.

Sent photos and videos to AEM (4-5 different addresses) they ignore me and on fb they started the conversation after 5 days of silince with you have counterfeit items and when I posted photos of all my items with serial numbers and even numbers from plate they blocked me from their fb site.

Here are all videos with prove that they have either poor design that cause that failure or they deliberate put that paper in to cause this failure, now it's up to you to decide which one is it but in the end unit will fail.

It cost me 20€ to buy new transistors and some change that I bought items to properly fix the other four transistors to heat sink/cooler and unit now works.

Till now I got no answer on my emails from AEM !!!
They keep ignoring me.

Videos about this matter:

Part 1.
(how it all started)

Part 2.
(how i found out paper and uncooled transistors in my second burnt unit)

Part 3.
(paper inside my third unopened unit, how i break the seal and check what's inside)

Part 4.
(new transistors and properly fixed and it's working again)

So if you know anyone with burnt CDI, here's the solution, cause I know there's tons of burnt units out there.

And you don't need to double guess that I'll take everything from AEM out of my car and buy something else now !!!
(so tons of AEM stuff that I have will be for sale: EMS V1 + UEGO, 2x EPM, 8x coil, 2x CDI (modified))