Notices

Importing an Evo into Canada (Merged because Dan is such a swell dude)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2004, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the site......so bear with me......theoretically, could you not take the "chance" and import the evo AS a Lancer and do the same with the insurance. I mean, yes, you are risking the loss, SHOULD something happen, but at the same time, you do have an evo. You can buy a used one in Florida for $25,000. With the exchange, thats not bad at all. Just a thought, not the safest, but a possible solution???
Old Mar 25, 2004, 12:02 PM

You're not just risking the loss. You're also risking charges of insurance fraud, and Mitsubishi Canada dealerships have been ordered not to do any work on Evolutions that are not registered in the US. Also, when importing the vehicle, I am 99% sure they use your VIN to find out what it is exactly that you're importing, and also, when you come through to have the VI done, the location that does the inspection will probably blow the whistle and let the authorities know you're trying to import a vehicle that's illegal. And then you'll own an EVO...in cube form.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 05:52 PM

What about importing a wrecked evo cut in half and then grafting all the parts into your canadian lancer?
Old Apr 2, 2004, 08:31 PM

You could do it. But you'd only have half the parts you needed...if even. The only thing the normal 03 lancers have in commmon with the EVOs is the front doors, everything else is different. The rear carriage of the chassis to accomodate the rear diff, the transmission/motor mounts, the chassis rigidification, the glass is a lighter material, the wheels, the...well, you get the idea.

You'd need two EVOs, one front end wreck one rear end wreck to make an EVO out of a lancer. And the cost alone would be enough to buy an STi at least once.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

for those who are thinking about "cheating" the system.. what about VIN numbers.. they readily identify the engine code and models.. you will have to fake out that too.. that is a federal offense

just wait for the next evo.. they already said they will make it pass bumper tests and it will be worth the wait

-joe
Old Apr 2, 2004, 11:24 PM

I was thinking if you did make one from salvage the insurance would be much like a custom hot rod, I'm not sure how the insurance works that way though.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

i have called transport canada a few months back and they say that they will let you import the evo.. but it will not be street legal..

-joe
Old Apr 4, 2004, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

exactly, you can import it and use it as a track or show car, but can't license it...that's been known for a while, but we all want to drive one!!
Old Apr 5, 2004, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

that's what i like about the US..

if you are in the military, and brought yourself a right hand drive super evolution in Japan, they will ship it here on the carrier and you can legally put it on the road because it's yours

-joe
Old Apr 15, 2004, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

So we cannot import Evos between 2003 to 2004 but we can import any other models from 1988 - 2004 (with the exception of 2003 - 2004 EVO's) and drive them legaly in Canada. With that in mind. Can we then get 2002 Lancer Evo VII imported to the US. from Japan or any other country in Asia.

2002 EVO VII

Perhaps 1998 Lanver Evo V (Makinen Edition)

*****Please verify if we can do this. *****
Old May 6, 2004, 10:55 PM

YES you can bring in the 2002 Evo VII but hurry before they close that loophole. Luckally I still got my deposits down for two Evo 8's from October, so I was able to get exemptions to bring them in here... Only 1 month away.
Old May 18, 2004, 08:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

good luck with insurance, registration...loop holes are funny, they will let you get here but if anything happens. accident or needed warrinty work you will be screwed.
Old May 20, 2004, 02:56 PM
Account Disabled

That legislation only covers cars from the United States.

The 15 year rule applies to all cars from outside of the united states. Such as Japan. What this means is that the car MUST be 15 years old to legally import into Canada.

Unfortunately your out of luck for your Evo 7.
Old May 28, 2004, 09:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

But i didnt think the 7 was inadmissable, just the 8
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:56 AM

I thought the 7 was made for US spec by Japan, but I'm wrong so you can't bring it in. BUt if you could find a motor to fit in a 03 OZ... Hahahaaha....

The 8 is a complete no no. You might be able to get the 05 MR in before they revise their list. (It only cover's 03-04).

Quick Reply: Importing an Evo into Canada (Merged because Dan is such a swell dude)