Notices

First Ticket T_T

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Ticket T_T

Yea so like the title says, i got my first ticket today sadly...

was heading to school and i just did a rolling stop and bam, there he was...

I was just wondering, would it be possible to fight a rolling stop? I dont really have anything much to say about it since i didnt complete a full stop, but then again, i already paid for all the court fees and everything sicne its included in the ticket, so it wouldn't hurt to give it a try and fight it and hope the officer doesnt come? Does anyone have any good recommedations for any ticket fighters as well?

Also, the cop mentioned that my exhaust was too loud, and that I can get a ticket for that, is that true?

Any help would be great...
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

depends where you got the ticket. if it was in the toronto bounds good chance it will never make it to court. My buddy got a speeding ticket 25 over in august went to register for court time and till three days ago never received notice of court date. he called quoted the ticket number they checked their database and informed that the case was tossed by the prosecution due to more high profile cases. basically they didn't have time for him to come and plead his case. lucky him.

All in all try. whats the worst that can happen, they fine you anyway, or you have that chance that it will get tossed. And never rely on the cop not showing up, they get a paid day to sit and wait for the case and usually the court system sets up all of their cases on the same day.plus if he doesn't show up the judge can call for an alternate date and the cop will be *****ed at and will be penalized if he doesn't show to that one.

ya you can get a ticket for a loud exhaust, some know that first hand..lol.. be scared when they bust out the decibel meter and tell you to rev your engine... word of advice if that does happen try to keep it under 3k less noise that way and hopefully the cop wont notice.

Good luck bro

Last edited by aj_pierce; Apr 21, 2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by aj_pierce
depends where you got the ticket. if it was in the toronto bounds good chance it will never make it to court. My buddy got a speeding ticket 25 over in august went to register for court time and till three days ago never received notice of court date. he called quoted the ticket number they checked their database and informed that the case was tossed by the prosecution due to more high profile cases. basically they didn't have time for him to come and plead his case. lucky him.

All in all try. whats the worst that can happen, they fine you anyway, or you have that chance that it will get tossed. And never rely on the cop not showing up, they get a paid day to sit and wait for the case and usually the court system sets up all of their cases on the same day.plus if he doesn't show up the judge can call for an alternate date and the cop will be *****ed at and will be penalized if he doesn't show to that one.

ya you can get a ticket for a loud exhaust, some know that first hand..lol.. be scared when they bust out the decibel meter and tell you to rev your engine... word of advice if that does happen try to keep it under 3k less noise that way and hopefully the cop wont notice.

Good luck bro
thanks for the advice,

but it wouldnt hurt to try i guess since im going to pay around the same amount anyways right? I figure that I might as well not go to a ticket fighter cause well, this is a rolling stop and i dont think there is much to say about it than if i stopped or didnt stop. I read soemwhere online just now that you pay for the court fees and everything anyways if you plead guilty, so i guess ill just give it a try by going there myself.

As for where i got my ticket, it was in markham. It was in a small street called Buchanan (Been around here for more than 10 years and never have i seen a cop in this street). So im not sure how lucky i'd get, but in the meantime i guess ill jsut go down to the court and get a court date.

Anyone have any advice as to how i can fight the ticket off?

Also, has anyone been ticketed for their exhaust being too loud? Do you just get fined or do you get dermit points deducted as well? and if you do get fined, whats the worse you've heard?

Thanks for looking guys
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:25 AM

no demerit points for loud exhaust.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

I was in similar situation as you...got a speeding ticket a month ago.
I got my 3 demerit points eliminated eventually.

Since its York region cop that stopped you, it'll be york region.
On the back of your ticket theres 3 options, do not do option 1 (pay) or option 2 (pay with reduced fine).
Go to the ticket office thats listed on the back of the ticket and file for a court date. You just basically sign 2 sheets of paper and in about 3 weeks
they'll mail you info.
Heres the critical point, depending on the ticket office that the ticket is filed at, it make take anywhere from 3 days (ie. Whitby area) or up to about 8 days (ie. Newmarket area),
call after a couple of days (phone number is on back of ticket) and ask if your ticket has been registered in their system. Once its registered into the system then you can do
whats called the "WALK IN FIRST ATTENDANCE MEETING ", which is basically a walk in meeting with the prosecuter (sounds worst then it is) to try and resolve things before trial.
You get to the court house early and sign in on the sheet, its a first come first serve basis. Once called up you meet the prosecuter by yourself.
Now heres the kicker: you don't have to say a word! When I sat down for mine the prosecuter said "I can reduce your fine to $60 and knock off your points " (from $90 fine and 3 demerit points).
They will ask you if you agree and of course you're gonna be thinking hell yeah. You will most likely agree and you say yes.
After that you wait outside again to meet the justice of the peace (bigger title then it really is...no law background needed!!). Once called you meet the justice of peace and prosecuter.
They'll confirm your name and restate your conviction (your newly agreed fine). Lastly you go outside and wait to pay your ticket!! The whole time I didn't say more then 2 sentences in meeting
with them.
This was my first time going through this process too.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by GTE28
I was in similar situation as you...got a speeding ticket a month ago.
I got my 3 demerit points eliminated eventually.

Since its York region cop that stopped you, it'll be york region.
On the back of your ticket theres 3 options, do not do option 1 (pay) or option 2 (pay with reduced fine).
Go to the ticket office thats listed on the back of the ticket and file for a court date. You just basically sign 2 sheets of paper and in about 3 weeks
they'll mail you info.
Heres the critical point, depending on the ticket office that the ticket is filed at, it make take anywhere from 3 days (ie. Whitby area) or up to about 8 days (ie. Newmarket area),
call after a couple of days (phone number is on back of ticket) and ask if your ticket has been registered in their system. Once its registered into the system then you can do
whats called the "WALK IN FIRST ATTENDANCE MEETING ", which is basically a walk in meeting with the prosecuter (sounds worst then it is) to try and resolve things before trial.
You get to the court house early and sign in on the sheet, its a first come first serve basis. Once called up you meet the prosecuter by yourself.
Now heres the kicker: you don't have to say a word! When I sat down for mine the prosecuter said "I can reduce your fine to $60 and knock off your points " (from $90 fine and 3 demerit points).
They will ask you if you agree and of course you're gonna be thinking hell yeah. You will most likely agree and you say yes.
After that you wait outside again to meet the justice of the peace (bigger title then it really is...no law background needed!!). Once called you meet the justice of peace and prosecuter.
They'll confirm your name and restate your conviction (your newly agreed fine). Lastly you go outside and wait to pay your ticket!! The whole time I didn't say more then 2 sentences in meeting
with them.
This was my first time going through this process too.
wow thanks so much for the tip! =)
but out of curiousity, did this still affect your insurance?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

might be dependant on insurance company but I don't expect it to. Its my first ticket and a minor one.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 01:18 PM

yeah it depends on your insurance company whether they give you a free pass on your first ticket or not but most insurance companies take into account every ticket no matter whether it is a minor or not even if you didn't get dermit points taken off they still use it

and also your insurance may not even find your ticket unless they check your records so if you are worried about a upcoming renewal, unless they check your record before they send the renewal it might get missed altogether until say you call to change a plan or companies then they will find it.

and if you do the court thing the ticket won't show up on your record until after the court date has happened so it gives you some time if you want to say switch insurance companies with a clean record still ha

i know this all from experience unfortunately...i have had a renewal sent to me with the company missing my tickets i had gotten that year and they didn't find out till i called my insurance to switch companies ha and when i went looking for new insurance every company wanted to know about every ticket even if it was a minor and i didn't get any dermits taken off

and right now i am actually waiting to get my renewal and i'm hoping they didn't find my other ticket haha, what can i say it was a bad year for me ha

but i have been clean and haven't been stopped by a cop for a year haha
Old Apr 21, 2009, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

What did you get charged for? Check the ticket it could vary on points.

Last edited by Greedy_son; Apr 22, 2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Felix09
wow thanks so much for the tip! =)
but out of curiousity, did this still affect your insurance?
my insurance for my RA was actually started 2 weeks prior to my ticket. Agreed, I don't think they'll find out about the ticket unless my insurance status changes, ie. changing companies, making a claim, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about the ticket, theres a high probability you'll get off with a reduced fine. I guess the good thing about myself getting the ticket is that i'm constantly scanning the road for the speed limit....key is to maintain a max of about 15 kph over the limit for no demerit points even if stopped.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

I got a similar ticket a year or two ago with my old 2000 protege. I got hit with a fail to stop at a stop sign which was BS because i knew i stopped or did a rolling stop.

When i went to go fight it they reduced it to "failing to yield" which is still 2 points.

Then i purchased my lancer and my insurance went up (standard for a new car), and i got my renewal and i didnt see any traffic offenses.

It all depends on the company and your histroy with them. I say fight it and get it reduced.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Might as well fight it, it'll get reduced regardless unless the officer already did so.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

trust me when i say this fight it, it will be well worth your time and save you money in the long run, wether you get it dropped or reduced it will help you , i had a bad record when i got my lancer and i had to pay 500$ a month for insurance , i wont go into details but fight it and every ticket you ever get,and even if nothing happenes you still drag it out, your ticket wont be final till you actually go to court for it
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:38 PM

thanks for all the help and advice guys =). I've actually went ahead and am going to fight it. Family friend was able to hook up to some guys who are very confident of fighting this off completely (still 50/50 LOL). But then again, most likely they can fight off the points at the least, hopefully this would be the last one =\. Apparently they also mentioned that the popos are having a program these few weeks especially for catching people without seatbelts (child seats put in wrong, etc.). Im not sure if this is true, but I can at least say that the area that im in, there are tons of cops out compared to lets say, a few weeks back. Everyday starting from the day i got ticketed, i have seen a cop. (Lots on Warden, watch out ppl) saw some around fmp, in small streets near my house (they never really go there too) and thats about it for these 3 days. Again, thanks for the help guys, hope to see you all at the west side meet next week =)
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:17 PM

Honestly, if you're going to pay someone to fight the ticket because you're worried about the points, you should just go to court yourself. Usually the judge would come up w/ some sort of compromise (no points, lowered fine) and you can just take that.

BUT, what matters most is the insurance effect. Be it a ticket that has points or not, they still look at it as a ticket. Some companies have discounts for not having a ticket, or they let one go, or they start surcharging after one, either way, I think you'll prob be seeing at least a 10% increase in your premiums. If you ARE paying to fight it, then have it be fought off COMPLETELY, otherwise, you're just wasting your money.

Hopefully this will make it to you in time, but I guess at least you can learn from this experience.

Quick Reply: First Ticket T_T