Notices

My Autopian Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2004, 09:29 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My Autopian Lancer

Ok, I have been spending alot of time getting my paint swirl free that was induced by the horrible dealer's new car delivery preparation. I'am glad after many hours of research and hard work my paint is now 100% swirl free. I have the honour of being taught by one of the best paint detailers in North America if not the world and he is proud to call himself a Montrealer. This gentleman is one of Meguiar's top technical field reps and teaches BMW and various American auto makers how to prep their paint on their new cars, he is truely a technical artist ! and enjoys doing a few cars himself on his spare time and chuckles when people ask him for a compound job, he simply shows them a car full of swirls and says to them "do you really want to pay for this ?, but if you want me to polish your car then I can" He frequently gets calls from customers in London and LA for him to detail their $500,000+ cars for $2000us along with plane fare and hotel room paided and pre-arranged by his customers
Attached Thumbnails My Autopian Lancer-lancer-003.jpg   My Autopian Lancer-lancer-006.jpg  

Last edited by EdT; Sep 11, 2004 at 09:55 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Question

-

I am having the same exact problem! Please tell me what the secret is... and how much it cost you!

-
Old Sep 12, 2004, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Hook us up with the details!
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

omg u big teaser. Whats the secret?!!?!

I have a yellow car anyways so its not that huge of a deal.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
shiny
Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Try this:

Use a straight stroke. It is human nature to wash and wax with a circular hand motion. Avoid this, unless you like unsightly swirl marks. Moving in a back-and-forth, straight line motion makes finish imperfections less visible. A linear stroke also results in a more luminous finish, since light rays are also reflected in straight lines
Old Sep 13, 2004, 06:59 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

I am having the same exact problem! Please tell me what the secret is... and how much it cost you!

1. There are currently about only 3 people I know in Montreal that can do this properly and they are usually booked. PM me if you want their co-ordinates, they usually charge between $250-$300 to detail your car, but they do it right the first time ! unlike the dealers who you pay $250-$350 to f**k up your paint and carwash places that can't even tell the difference between rubbing compound and a polish !

2. You can do this yourself like I did, invest in about $500 for a machine and several types of professional polishes and alot of time to learn and perfect your technique. My neighbours thinks I'am crazy now after seeing me polish my car for about 2 days, they think I was just waxing it ...LoL

I can tell you this, once you start doing this you get addicted, I just did my dad's '98 Mystique Blue Corolla which was never waxed or detail for 5 years and was full of swirls, I had to get out the heavy duty stuff to make it shine better than when it was new.

Here is 2 links to what one of these guys can do with a car full of swirlies, PM him to make an appointment:

http://www.montrealracing.com/forums...d.php?t=143976

http://www.montrealracing.com/forums...d.php?t=142112
Attached Thumbnails My Autopian Lancer-corolla-006.jpg   My Autopian Lancer-corolla-007.jpg  

Last edited by EdT; Sep 13, 2004 at 07:19 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Question Uh... did I miss something?

-

Okay... two things here:

1. I think you just found your true calling. Quit your dayjob right now 'cause this is sure to pay way better (really)!

2. I can't see how this post would help me achieve anything! I don't understand why it even exists (where's the info for me or him or this other guy)?!?!? I thought this forum was about helping each other (but that's just me, I'm an idealist)!? You might wanna post this on the BMW forum (Kayaalp can give you the address )... some of these guys can surely afford to shell out 300$ to keep their cars shiny like brand new... and since this post hits me more and more like some well planned promotion, I think you really might be on to something (honestly).

As for us mere mortals, it seems like we're stuck with wax once again. Then again, if I could afford a swirl-free job on my car, I wouldn't be driving this particular model now would I?

-
Old Sep 13, 2004, 09:37 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WoRkZ
-

Okay... two things here:

1. I think you just found your true calling. Quit your dayjob right now 'cause this is sure to pay way better (really)!

2. I can't see how this post would help me achieve anything! I don't understand why it even exists (where's the info for me or him or this other guy)?!?!? I thought this forum was about helping each other (but that's just me, I'm an idealist)!? You might wanna post this on the BMW forum (Kayaalp can give you the address )... some of these guys can surely afford to shell out 300$ to keep their cars shiny like brand new... and since this post hits me more and more like some well planned promotion, I think you really might be on to something (honestly).

As for us mere mortals, it seems like we're stuck with wax once again. Then again, if I could afford a swirl-free job on my car, I wouldn't be driving this particular model now would I?

-
WoRkZ, this is no planned promotion, most of these guys came to Montreal from out of town and mostly from California the sunshine state where beautiful cars stay beautiful all year long and when they discovered Montrealers lack of knowledge in detailing cars they started doing it here as a hobby and has slowly progressed into part time work during the weekends(They make $600-$800 a day!). I would do this as my job if Montreal would be as nice as Cali all year long.

If your are interested in doing it yourself, I suggest you subcribe to Autopia.org and start reading ! and NO you don't need to be driving an expensive car to have it looking the best it can be !

If you want to have someone detail your ride then here is the best man, Emre, don't bring your EVO to anyone else but him, seriously ! Phone him first if he is in town, he is often out of the country instructing car companies how to prep their cars. I saw him detail a silver '92 Dodge Stealh(Mitsu) and the owner could not believe that was his car when came to pick it up.

SEVCO
Claude Sevigny
450 668-4701

Last edited by EdT; Sep 13, 2004 at 09:42 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Wink My appologies...

-

Okay Ed, I think I might have gotten down on you a bit too hard the other day... might be the week I'm having. You must admit that I was right about your posts not containing that much helpful stuff though... a situation which you just corrected big time!

I am currently visiting www.bettercarcare.com (linked by autopian.org) and I find the how-to section to be very interesting. Thanks for the link! I just hope I don't have to buy that 30 US$ - 6oz wax to achieve a decent result.

-
Old Sep 15, 2004, 05:53 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Exclamation

I just hope I don't have to buy that 30 US$ - 6oz wax to achieve a decent result.

A $50 wax will still look crap if you did not properly prep the paint before applying the wax. A $3.99 bottle of Turtle Wax looks great when the paint is properly prepped ! Most car owners have a fixation in buying expensive wax hoping their car will look better, but that is not the case, expensive wax only adds to the depth of shine for certain dark coloured cars, it does not necessary offer more protection or durability. I can tell you that my car actually looks more glossy before waxing when it is being prepped, the wax actually adds a very faint cloud to the finish. I'am currently using Meguiar's NXT(sold at Cdn Tires $29.99 ...LoL theres you $30 wax !) wax which in reality is not wax, but a synthetique polymer, reason being its widely available to the public and is on par with higher end polymer hard to find sealants such as Klasse AO1. I then top the NXT with a coat of #16 wax to add depth to the metallic flakes in the paint.

Last edited by EdT; Sep 15, 2004 at 06:01 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Question

-

So the Meguiar NXT is a sort of compound that you use to prep. the paint, but it also serves as a wax? Do you use the whole bottle in one shot or is that good for multiple coats? If it is, 30$ is not that bad considering it is a quality product.

So, let me get this straight: you first apply a coat of that polymer and then apply a coat of wax over it? How does the polymer stay in place instead of being displaced by the wax??? I might not have understood the part about the polymer that well...

-
Old Sep 16, 2004, 02:43 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WoRkZ
-

So the Meguiar NXT is a sort of compound that you use to prep. the paint, but it also serves as a wax? Do you use the whole bottle in one shot or is that good for multiple coats? If it is, 30$ is not that bad considering it is a quality product.

So, let me get this straight: you first apply a coat of that polymer and then apply a coat of wax over it? How does the polymer stay in place instead of being displaced by the wax??? I might not have understood the part about the polymer that well...

-
No, the NXT Tech Wax is a polymer cleaner sealant it is not a polish and will not get rid of swirls, it must be applied very very thin like most sealants and can be left alone as a wax and protectant, so one bottle goes a long way(takes me about 6 squirts on my polishing pad to do the whole car), but most Autopians will apply a coat of traditional canabura wax on top of the sealant to add depth to the finish after 24hrs once the sealant has cured(this is the preferred secrective method most show car owners wax their cars to win shows), a synthethique based sealant will not interact with oil based waxes once the sealant has cured. If you opt to use just the NXT that would be fine, sealants are very thin and will not entrapped dirt like traditional waxes once heat from the sun melts the wax little particles of dirt will be embedded in the wax making the paint feel rough and dull and you will have to use a polish/cleaner to prep your finish again.

Most marketing is confusing the general public, here is what these terms really mean:

Cleaner/rubbing compound = the most harsh abrasives to eliminate scratches and paint imperfections

Polish/glaze = contains very very fine abrasives to produce a gloss finish on the paint

Waxes/sealants = contains no abrasives

Cleaner waxes = contains a combination of abrasives or chemical cleaner with wax, for the general public who only go over the paint once instead of a 3 step method; cleaner, polish and wax.

So you can see why most people misunderstand these terms and in Quebec, Montreal they just refer to it as a compound, most dealers will use a cleaner wax for new car prep or worse they use a rubbing compound and then a wax so you see all the swirls marks under the wax.

Last edited by EdT; Sep 16, 2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 03:43 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Talking Why we need good detailers

Why we need good detailers

Thought I'd share some humor with you all. Obviously, a good detail would have eliminated the problem

I think my wife is cheating on me. She borrowed my car last night.