Notices

My Cobb Access Port Experience Stage 1 - 93 Octane (Stock 2011 GSR)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Cobb Access Port Experience Stage 1 - 93 Octane (Stock 2011 GSR)

I just installed the Cobb AP Stage 1 - 93 octane map on my stock 2011 GSR and all I have to say is.....

This is the best $595 I've ever spent!

It was very simple to install thanks to Stephen Li from Cobb pre loading the maps to the AP before it shipped.

Although, I did crap myself when all the warning lights in my car went off when I flashed the map to the cars ECU.

But once it was installed I noticed a huge difference.

1) Power seems to be a lot more linear.

-Not as much of a dead zone below 3000 rpm as stock
-Power is linear right up to redline, where as stock dies after 6000 rpm

-It feels more like driving a E9x M3. It's not so much a kick in the pants but smooth and fast. You tend to look down at your speedo and say "90 mph, WTF I thought I was going 50"

2) Smoother gear changes

-Shift points seem different than stock, possibly because the power comes quicker and harder

-Maybe it's just more driver confidence since you always seem to be in the powerband, and not praying you will be out of the boost zone one the stock car. Especially if you are shifting before 4000 RPM

3) More POWA!!!

- I think it's the combination of having a little more boost and the fact that the car pulls all the way up until redline which makes the car feel more powerful both mentally and physically

- I especially noticed a difference on 40-50 mph twisty roads in 3rd/4th gear.

4) More Fun

- This is the way the car should have come stock. Especially since the weight went up 300 lbs from the IX. I really beat the **** out of it a few times since I installed it and the Evo held up like a champ.

- I think my gas mileage even improved a little. (Maybe during normal driving I'm shifting at lower rpms since there is more linear power down there, rather than waiting for the stock "split second kick in the pants boost up at 3K up to 5K" then shifting.

At the end of the day a lot of the things I mentioned could just be mental, but the car definitely feels different and better, resulting in a much more rewarding experience.

Plus I get a little more pride knowing my car is a little different than stock. I think I'm starting to understand that thing you guys call the modding bug. The Cobb Stage 2 Kit might be on the list pretty soon.

Anyways, Thank you Cobb for making a great plug and play product/tune, that is reasonably safe, and produces great results for the $$$. Along with great customer service.

Now if I can only fix that damn brake squeal...
Old Apr 4, 2012, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Nice review I recently installed my AP on my 2010 and I can say this is the first mod anyone should do. I agree with the comment that this is how the car should have come from the factory.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
yup just got this on my 2011 gsr and this is the best money ive ever spent on a mod it was so worth it was like driving a different car!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

aww I don't have a Cobb AP, but I just got really excited to get my tune on Friday!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 09:00 PM

Cobb seems nice but i'm gonna go with a mellon tune.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Buru_EvoX
aww I don't have a Cobb AP, but I just got really excited to get my tune on Friday!
And you should be. I have an access port as well but either access port or any other form of a tune it is the best money you can spend. After I got my access port installed I realized why people said they recommend a tune on a stock Evo.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by nismo2evox
I just installed the Cobb AP Stage 1 - 93 octane map on my stock 2011 GSR and all I have to say is.....

This is the best $595 I've ever spent!

It was very simple to install thanks to Stephen Li from Cobb pre loading the maps to the AP before it shipped.

Although, I did crap myself when all the warning lights in my car went off when I flashed the map to the cars ECU.

But once it was installed I noticed a huge difference.

1) Power seems to be a lot more linear.

-Not as much of a dead zone below 3000 rpm as stock
-Power is linear right up to redline, where as stock dies after 6000 rpm

-It feels more like driving a E9x M3. It's not so much a kick in the pants but smooth and fast. You tend to look down at your speedo and say "90 mph, WTF I thought I was going 50"

2) Smoother gear changes

-Shift points seem different than stock, possibly because the power comes quicker and harder

-Maybe it's just more driver confidence since you always seem to be in the powerband, and not praying you will be out of the boost zone one the stock car. Especially if you are shifting before 4000 RPM

3) More POWA!!!

- I think it's the combination of having a little more boost and the fact that the car pulls all the way up until redline which makes the car feel more powerful both mentally and physically

- I especially noticed a difference on 40-50 mph twisty roads in 3rd/4th gear.

4) More Fun

- This is the way the car should have come stock. Especially since the weight went up 300 lbs from the IX. I really beat the **** out of it a few times since I installed it and the Evo held up like a champ.

- I think my gas mileage even improved a little. (Maybe during normal driving I'm shifting at lower rpms since there is more linear power down there, rather than waiting for the stock "split second kick in the pants boost up at 3K up to 5K" then shifting.

At the end of the day a lot of the things I mentioned could just be mental, but the car definitely feels different and better, resulting in a much more rewarding experience.

Plus I get a little more pride knowing my car is a little different than stock. I think I'm starting to understand that thing you guys call the modding bug. The Cobb Stage 2 Kit might be on the list pretty soon.

Anyways, Thank you Cobb for making a great plug and play product/tune, that is reasonably safe, and produces great results for the $$$. Along with great customer service.

Now if I can only fix that damn brake squeal...
Good to hear that bro. I'm excited to get mine now. I should be getting it next week.

Sh*t, I thought mine is the only one that has that break squeal.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Be happy if you don't have annoying dash rattles
Old May 23, 2012, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

what warning lights did you get? If i get an accessport will i get warning lights and just have to live with it? or is there a workaround?
Old May 23, 2012, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jeffo24
what warning lights did you get? If i get an accessport will i get warning lights and just have to live with it? or is there a workaround?
This only happens when you flash a map because it goes into "Test" mode. As soon as the flashing sequence is finished, those lights clear. This is a non issue.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

definitely the first mod I'm getting when I get mine