Notices

Cobb V3 experience so far and some questions

Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cobb V3 experience so far and some questions

So i just got my V3 in last Friday and wanted to share my experience so far and see if I could get some answers to some questions I am unclear on. First my car is a 2011 MR, completely stock other than the V3 and the Cobb panel filter flashed stage 1 93 oct. I have to say that I am extremely impressed with the results (power wise). It is night and day from before. I swear I probably picked up about 30 to the wheels. It was super easy to install and very user-friendly. Everything seems to be excellent quality and the guage function is fantastic. My only compliant is that its only been mounted 2 days and its already starting to peel off the mount. Looks like I will have to drop another 70 bucks on the clip mount. So here are some of the things I need clarification on, and before I get slammed for asking, yes I searched.

1. Gas mileage is not what I expected. Seems to be about the same. If the tune leans the car out why I have I not seen a noticable increase in MPG's. I was expectng around 5-10 %
2. I am seeing at times 26.5 PSI with target at 23.5. I know boost is going to vary but I was under the impression that boost is unchaged from stock with stage 1. I have tried both normal and low wastegade duty cycle and and results are the same except the low wastegate map seems much faster. I really would prefer to not blow this car up so Is this normal or should I be concerned for the long term health of the engine.
3. I am seeing 0-2 counts of knock under low throttle mostly. I know this is probably phantom knock that the ecu is seeing but at times I have seen 3 and 4. Also Saturday morning I saw 5 counts once. I feel that I shouldnt be seeing any more than 1 or 2 counts at any time because these maps are supposed to be conservative? I would be interested to see if the car does this stock?
4. The SST seems to shift harder. I run SS and in manual all the time. Seems to be getting better the more I drive it. This normal?

Any help is much appreciated!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 08:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Hey there, glad to hear you're enjoying the Accessport so far! There is definitely a significant amount of power left on the table with the factory calibration, and potentially even a bit more if you were to seek out a custom tune from one of our Protuners.

1. This could be due to a few things - of most importance is the map file. I noticed you mentioned you had flashed the Stage1 93 map, with the COBB High Flow Filter installed you'll need to download and flash the Stage1+CHFF 93 map. This will ensure proper MAF calibrations for the panel filter and should help fuel mileage a bit.
2. 26.5 psi is definitely a bit more than we'd like to see on that map. We build in a tolerance of +/- 1.5psi from target boost so you're definitely outside of that range. A Low Wastegate (LWG) version of the map file should get you right on target.
3. It is not uncommon to see a bit of noise during low/partial throttle. As long as you're not seeing anything during a Wide Open Throttle (WOT) pull you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
4. Super Sport is definitely the most aggressive of the SST modes. I'll have to confirm with a calibrator, but I don't believe we change much that could affect the shifting habits.

So, to sum it up - I'd recommend switching to a Stage1+CHFF 93 LWG map if youre not already on that. It should bring the boost back down to target and have better MAF calibrations for the panel filter.

Map files for your car can be found here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/Accessport...11-EVO-X-MR-HF

Marshall@COBB
Old Mar 31, 2015, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the info, I have been running the LWG map after getting overboost with the normal map. What I will need to do is do some runs this weekend to see exactly where it is at in the powerband. I will do some logs this weekend and post my results. Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 05:23 AM

I still have not had time to do any logs but a few things I have noticed. Yesterday on the way home I dropped it down to 5th at about 75 to get around someone. only stayed in it for a few seconds. I looked at the AP right after and I had 7 counts of knock and hit a peak boost of 26.9 psi. I duplicacted this, this morning same results but in other gears I get normal reading of around 24 or 25 with no knock. This is on LWG map

Also this morning I noticed I had a CEL when I was pulling out of the driveway. I stopped, read, and cleared the code. It was the front 02 sensor. Has not come back yet but Ill keep an eye out. Car was perfectly normal before the cobb with no lights or codes. I know any part on any car can fail at anytime but I believe this is somehow related to the AP. Any ideas?

Last edited by twinspoolin94; Apr 2, 2015 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Correction
Old Apr 4, 2015, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should log some WOT pulls with your AP and post them up if you are concerned. It will provide folks with the details needed to comment on your issues.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

I made a thread about the double sided tape coming off. What you need to do is sand the back of the mount where you place the tape. If you feel it, you will notice that it's a bit of a bumpy texture.

Remove double sided tape, sand it down to flat, clean it, place new double sided tape and you should be good to go.

Mine has held up well for the past 4 months. No hanging or falling off.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by R Lar
I made a thread about the double sided tape coming off. What you need to do is sand the back of the mount where you place the tape. If you feel it, you will notice that it's a bit of a bumpy texture.

Remove double sided tape, sand it down to flat, clean it, place new double sided tape and you should be good to go.

Mine has held up well for the past 4 months. No hanging or falling off.

I believe I actually found your thread about sanding it. To bad I ordered the pro clip before I did!
Old Apr 6, 2015, 06:12 PM

So I took the car out to get some logs and before I had a chance under low throttle in 5th the car sputtered and the cel flashed a few times and went away. I looked at the AP and about **** when I saw 28 counts of knock. It did this again a minute later. I took the car home, removed the filter and flashed to stage 0. I have had no issues since. When I get my TBE soon ill take it to a professional and have it tuned. 30 HP right now isn't worth shooting down a plane with on of my pistons when I can wait and get what I want the right way.

I have noticed that I am still overboosting on the stock tune in high gears. But only about 26.5 PSI max when I hit 28.5 and I think 29. something with the stage 1. Also logging about 3-4 counts of knock every now and then at low throttle. I feel confident this is just noise on the low end and nothing to worry about. Also the SST shift much smoother in SS with the stock tune so far

Last edited by twinspoolin94; Apr 6, 2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: correction
Old Apr 6, 2015, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm curious what the usual knock counts are when stock during WOT, u ever log that?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by ddlopresti
I'm curious what the usual knock counts are when stock during WOT, u ever log that?
I have not logged it yet. ill see if I can get one on the way home this afternoon. From what I can tell its very low to non existent stock. Pretty much all knock I am seeing is low partial throttle 1-2 range ( on stock tune).
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:07 AM

When you do your logs use 4th from 2.5 to 3k rpms. Make sure you didn't get some bad gass, hit up a big name like Shell, BP, Mobile/Exon I would not recommend flying j gas or other **** brands. You can also try a 91 map which has helped others. At low throttle I too see higher levels of knock, typically between 2-0, on my car. I also at times see a quick boost spike between 26 or 27 psi, only for a second or so and typically only when downshifting. On another note make sure you check your fuel pump relay and your fpr hose. The hose can be secured wih a zip tie to prevent it from blowing off and a the better relay can be ordered, if you need a pn let me know and I can check my last order.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by twinspoolin94
I have not logged it yet. ill see if I can get one on the way home this afternoon. From what I can tell its very low to non existent stock. Pretty much all knock I am seeing is low partial throttle 1-2 range ( on stock tune).
Cool, much appreciated. Let me know. Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by ddlopresti
cool, much appreciated. Let me know. Thanks.
+1
Old Apr 16, 2015, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

I went a different route with the mounting of my AP3. I just used the mount itself and mounted it directly to the factory dash stip. No tape slippage to concern myself with what so ever. But, seeing as how I owe my EVO outright and its not leased nor will it ever be traded I am not concerned with replacing the piece. Simply fix to a simply problem IMO.