Notices

Stage 3 Pro Tune Problems

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 3 Pro Tune Problems

I have a Stage 3 installed on my '12 GSR, AP v3 and Perrin IC with L/UICP.

Ran the various OTS Stage 3 maps. Until I went for a Pro Tune. I live in N.C. Pa around 2200 ft. above sea level. The tune was done at 500 ft.

On the OTS maps, up a slight hill at 60 mph in 5th and flooring it the stock diverter valve flutters noticeably and as speed builds it quits, speed builds and the car runs nice. This would be like as if you were pulling out and passing, no downshift. It was way rich with fluffy exhaust on the pipes. Cat smelling like it was getting plenty of fuel.

I'm coming from a previously ECU tuned Evo IX MR that was tuned in Orlando with a Forge MBC several times through stages of modifications. I noticed a bit of BOV flutter when I came up here. Cranking the Forge knob back a turn or so until the bov quit fluttering and both on acceleration and flat out down the road worked well. I'd crank it back when I went back to sea level.

The Pro Tune with a Cobb 3 port in the same place on the road up here makes the bov flutter erratically upon going full throttle at 60 mph (3000 rpm's or so). It will stop as rpm's build then when speed and rpm's are up there the car surges . I'd describe it much as if you lifted the throttle off of the floor and then pushed it back down about every second.

This continues until you're way over the speed limit. Something I never had with the MR.

I've spoken with my tuner who advised me that the tune may need a few tweaks and data logs would be needed. It's been a month and I've gotten 1 response and a different map to try. Not a bit better. Mid range torque fell, bov flutter just as bad, and the high speed surge just as bad.

After multiple unreturned email's, data log submission, and telephone calls I'm getting nowhere. I did speak with Cobb (Aaron?) who offered to assist in interfacing with my tuner. A nice gesture. So far I haven't gone that route. Guess I didn't expect a month passing for support that was promised to me from the tuner.

FYI. No names mentioned. He came highly recommended (the tuner). The shop is in York, Pa and very close to the Harley Davidson factory. A very nice shop. Clean with lot's of "eye candy".

If anyone could take a look at the attached logs and give a suggestion or insight as to what's going on perhaps I could get my GSR running as good as the MR did on it's first tune from Scott at TTP

Thanks!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip
CBRD Logs.zip (9.9 KB, 0 views)
Old May 28, 2015, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by supwiddiss
I have a Stage 3 installed on my '12 GSR, AP v3 and Perrin IC with L/UICP.

Ran the various OTS Stage 3 maps. Until I went for a Pro Tune. I live in N.C. Pa around 2200 ft. above sea level. The tune was done at 500 ft.

On the OTS maps, up a slight hill at 60 mph in 5th and flooring it the stock diverter valve flutters noticeably and as speed builds it quits, speed builds and the car runs nice. This would be like as if you were pulling out and passing, no downshift. It was way rich with fluffy exhaust on the pipes. Cat smelling like it was getting plenty of fuel.

I'm coming from a previously ECU tuned Evo IX MR that was tuned in Orlando with a Forge MBC several times through stages of modifications. I noticed a bit of BOV flutter when I came up here. Cranking the Forge knob back a turn or so until the bov quit fluttering and both on acceleration and flat out down the road worked well. I'd crank it back when I went back to sea level.

The Pro Tune with a Cobb 3 port in the same place on the road up here makes the bov flutter erratically upon going full throttle at 60 mph (3000 rpm's or so). It will stop as rpm's build then when speed and rpm's are up there the car surges . I'd describe it much as if you lifted the throttle off of the floor and then pushed it back down about every second.

This continues until you're way over the speed limit. Something I never had with the MR.

I've spoken with my tuner who advised me that the tune may need a few tweaks and data logs would be needed. It's been a month and I've gotten 1 response and a different map to try. Not a bit better. Mid range torque fell, bov flutter just as bad, and the high speed surge just as bad.

After multiple unreturned email's, data log submission, and telephone calls I'm getting nowhere. I did speak with Cobb (Aaron?) who offered to assist in interfacing with my tuner. A nice gesture. So far I haven't gone that route. Guess I didn't expect a month passing for support that was promised to me from the tuner.

FYI. No names mentioned. He came highly recommended (the tuner). The shop is in York, Pa and very close to the Harley Davidson factory. A very nice shop. Clean with lot's of "eye candy".

If anyone could take a look at the attached logs and give a suggestion or insight as to what's going on perhaps I could get my GSR running as good as the MR did on it's first tune from Scott at TTP

Thanks!!
Funny you mention no names and the name is in the log file.

CBRD are good peeps in York, PA. Sorry you're having trouble with your tune from them

Glad to hear you had a great experience with Scott at TTP though. He tuned many of my cars as well from Evo 8 - Evo X. I hate when people use accessport on an evo though, its such a waste of money when you can direct flash the ecu.

Honestly though your issue is probably in the boost mapping for the 3port. Inherent of this electronic pulsing valve, you will hear the pulsing when the valve is regulating pressure. You should try a MBC for the meantime and see if that eliminates your flutter.
Old May 30, 2015, 04:34 PM

We're working on it. In this case I have faith, so no need to slam anyone. Thing is, after sending in multiple batches of data logs...just trying out my 2nd "test" map. Over a month in the works. Selling point was skill, familiarity with the Mits ecu. And support after the fact.

I sort of hoped a road grade percentage would have been dialed in. Driving is not spent on the track never hitting 5th. Downshifting to pass going 60 is something never needed on the IX. The AP running stage 3 maps had quirks. But being 4 1/2 hours away from the tuner.....the AP sounds great. BTW, we have discussed dual mapping and delaying boost later on in the range on the secondary. So far no joy.

Do you know how many times after my tune mbc or ebc has crossed my mind? I've been assured that it won't be needed because of the way tuning is done and that a 3 port is way better than a mbc. Anyway. I'm sure it's back on the dyno. And I hope there are hills close by to demonstrate what's going on. 650 "bones" for something that has support after the fact. If you get it before winter.

If you have looked at my logs, and you see that I go wot boost starts building...several seconds later the bov really starts making an erratic FWAP FWAP sound...and then stops....all good until the upper rpm...and then starts speed-surging. Locked maps....grrrrr!

Last edited by supwiddiss; May 30, 2015 at 04:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 24, 2016, 01:21 PM

CBRD Support Failure

CBRD and Chad Block

Paid a down payment for a tune. Showed on that day. Gave my info, mentioned I lived in hilly country 2200ft above sea level. Did my homework and asked for a great but conservative tune. Also asked if a slight road grade could be dialed into the Mustang. The eye candy at the shop was impressive. Didn't like that I had to wait upstairs not being able to hear my car and having to watch on big screen. 3 1/3 hr. drive to their shop.

Got the tune and came home carving windy roads. There was a bit more power than the COBB Stage 3 OTS map. The drive was fun.

The next day I learned what compressor surge was. Never experienced that with a TTP/Scott tune. Up a slight incline at 60-80mph the car acted like I lifted and floored the gas. Slight incline!

Called and then emailed Chad after multiple non responses and returned calls. Finally sent in data logs and received a new map. It didn't help and actually was worse. Again emails and calls left unanswered. A rogue email was sent with a "try this". No joy again.

Through days then weeks of this level of support that was expressly promised I finally called Visa and filed a dispute. Funds were retracted (made me feel a bit ****ty to have to resort to it). It was then Chad contacted me mentioning that he could not offer support if I did not pay. I asked him "what support"?. I promised payment upon results, which were sparse so far and left with a nasty running car.

He sent another map to try (no good, bad surge still). Then ignored me again. I offered to drive back (no response) to give it another try. Once again after some days, perhaps a week he was wondering where his money was and no concern if I was fixed. I assured him my word that when and if he started responding to my problems, he would get paid.

A request was made to do a pull from 3k to redline in 4th and one in 5th. Well, I did not get to redline in 5th..ran out of straight road. He said that was fine. New map, no change.

So now a call to COBB (awesome folks) and the Mustang folks to get insight. COBB asked me to see if Chadwick would call them to see if they could work together. Chad locks his maps and COBB could only look at logs (which showed tuning errors).

CBRD got paid. I was never asked to return for a retune, and COBB never got a call to assist. I lived with what I had but ran my car carefully.

A friendly drag with my buddy's 70 Charger R/T Hemi 4 speed and me on Thanksgiving day resulted in what sounded under my hood like a cage of pissed off pidgeons escaping, the smell of oil, and a Christmas tree of instrument panel lights. Onlookers said I wasn't even running that hard.

Currently I have one of the 2 best EVO builders getting a kit together to get me running again. I'll reveal exactly who in a few weeks. My winter project of pistons and rods turned into a quarter of what the car cost me.

I don't know. Support after a sale always meant something. CBRD falls way short on this area. Perhaps some time off of the flat tracks and more hill driving would give them a well needed clue.

Thanks for reading this. And yes, I'm extremely pissed off. I never, ever blew up and engine before. And all of the cars they were in were badass. My crank is saved. So I can get some bucks for that. The trigger wheel is toast though.
Attached Thumbnails Stage 3 Pro Tune Problems-block1.jpg   Stage 3 Pro Tune Problems-block2.jpg   Stage 3 Pro Tune Problems-block3.jpg   Stage 3 Pro Tune Problems-block4.jpg