Notices

Help out a Newbie - AP v3 with ETS intake & Knock

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help out a Newbie - AP v3 with ETS intake & Knock

Working with my 2011 GSR, and new to the whole accessport thing.
All I have done to the car currently is the upgraded fuel relay that AMS sells, and just installed an ETS intake over the weekend.

Prior to the intake I was running a Cobb Stage 1 91Oct map (while on 93 octane gas), and getting the normal 1-2 occasional sporadic knock count which is understood to be normal and safe, sent logs to COBB to verify.
After I installed the intake it still was running well with no change in knock. (ETS confirmed it would be safe to try since MAF is stock housing)

I did want to try out modifying the calibration tables using Cobbs spreadsheet with the ETS calibration.. after reflash my first 3 pulls I am getting knock running up to 8 counts through the higher RPM range.

I am thinking the ETS modified map through accesstuner race made it too aggressive/lean, and I will revert back to the OTS Stage 1 map without intake calibration.

Also, a separate question, since the ECU learning is reset after a flash, are my first few pulls even accurate? After doing the first 3 and seeing the 8 count knock I was hesitant to try again. Are you supposed to drive a certain amount of miles/time as ECU adjusts before your logs are considered accurate?

Thanks for helping me learn.

I am taking it to a tuner in Jan. , I know nothing beats a dyno tune. Just want something safe to drive in the meantime. In Jan I'll be putting on a downpipe and HF cat and get it all tuned in one shot.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 01:47 PM

Best thing to do is what you are doing in January get a tune. I would first check and make sure nothing is clanking around in your engine bay from after the install of the intake. Could possibly be ghost knock but if not then go back to the ots map and keep an eye on knock.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ragnar1208
Best thing to do is what you are doing in January get a tune. I would first check and make sure nothing is clanking around in your engine bay from after the install of the intake. Could possibly be ghost knock but if not then go back to the ots map and keep an eye on knock.
Thanks, I'll check that too.

I'm thinking it was the map since that is the only changed variable with the increased knock, but i'll double check everything is setup correctly with the intake. Don't mind making less power in the meantime with a more conservative tune but it was hard to not install the intake over the weekend haha....
Old Dec 8, 2015, 04:12 PM

I don't know what the tech. differences in the tunes are as I'm still learning (just started reading that big Merlins tuning guide)

On the Cobb 91 Octane LWG map modified for the ETS intake I was boosting to about 22psi with up to 8 counts of knock

I reflashed back to the vanilla Cobb 91 Octane Map (non-LWG) and am only getting the occasional knock 1-2 counts and hitting 25.7psi peak dropping to 17.3 near redline

I guess I'll just stick with that and keep monitoring it until january.

So when I went in to modify the MAF tables what is the net effect on what is going on; Is it leaning the tune out? Since I am seeing higher knock at less boost pressures?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't see the intake causing excessive or much knock at all as long as your engine is healthy. The MAF housing is stock for one and as long as you installed the intake calibration correctly then you should have no issues.

I have no mods other than the ets intake and the upper intercooler and have no issue. I also am using the 93 octane ots tune from cobb.

I'm wondering if you have an air leak somewhere or something as something is not right here.

Are you still using the 93 octane fuel as well? I wonder if the fuel you are using is causing your issues as well.

Last edited by .Adam; Dec 9, 2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by .Adam
I can't see the intake causing excessive or much knock at all as long as your engine is healthy. The MAF housing is stock for one and as long as you installed the intake calibration correctly then you should have no issues.

I have no mods other than the ets intake and the upper intercooler and have no issue. I also am using the 93 octane ots tune from cobb.

I'm wondering if you have an air leak somewhere or something as something is not right here.

Are you still using the 93 octane fuel as well? I wonder if the fuel you are using is causing your issues as well.
Engine should be healthy, basically new - 4000 miles on it, all stock until the intake. I double checked the intake clamps, hoses, and coupling this morning.

I'm running 93 octane fuel, on the 91 octane map.

When i switched back to the OTS 91 Octane map the high knock count went away and everything runs fine again.
I was only having the issue with the modified OTS map that accounted for the intake. I followed the tutorial very carefully on using accesstuner.

Also - is there a certain amount of driving one should do after flashing? - before you 'trust' the data from your pulls? I had only done two pulls on the calibrated map before I stopped due to seeing higher than normal knock.

Last edited by 50joe; Dec 10, 2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 50joe
Engine should be healthy, basically new - 4000 miles on it, all stock until the intake. I double checked the intake clamps, hoses, and coupling this morning.

I'm running 93 octane fuel, on the 91 octane map.

When i switched back to the OTS 91 Octane map the high knock count went away and everything runs fine again.
I was only having the issue with the modified OTS map that accounted for the intake. I followed the tutorial very carefully on using accesstuner.

Also - is there a certain amount of driving one should do after flashing? - before you 'trust' the data from your pulls? I had only done two pulls on the calibrated map before I stopped due to seeing higher than normal knock.

I wonder why you are not using the 93 octane ots map....

There is no "break in" for a tune that I know of. I've always just installed the map, drove around normally for at least 10 minutes and then hit the highway. I don't go WOT until around 2500rpm and have rarely had any issues at all. Since I installed the intake I have had the least amount of knock compared to other maps I used when I had my K&N panel filter.

What I would do is log a few mins of normal driving time and a couple wot pulls then send them to COBB to see what they think.