Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

05 MR @ the 1/4 mile Strip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2007, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 MR @ the 1/4 mile Strip

hey guys, i took my baby out to the tracks for the first time, and i'm not sure what i'm suppose to run for times. My car is not really modified, but it has Megan TBE, Hallman MBC, APS BOV. I have an 05 MR, and the best time i ran on the 1/4 mile strip was 12.8 @ 108mph. Is that good or bad??? please give me your thoughts if its doing whats it suppose to do, or its just too damm slow....
Old Aug 3, 2007, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of gas and at what boost?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whats your 60ft time?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Definately is not slow and it is a very good trap speed, I would call solid trap speed. Your whole timeslip would reveal much more details, we could figure out if you have more margin for improvement.

Carlos
Old Aug 3, 2007, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

I'm running on 93 octane pump gas, boosting like 22psi... this is my time slip:

R/T = .104
60' = 1.977
330 = 5.426
1/8 = 8.281
MPH = 85.78
1000 = 10.754
1/4 = 12.836
MPH = 108.30

I know I couldn't launch it right(due to unexperience) I prolly could get a better time if i launch it right... so what do you guys think. what do i need to do to better....

My Pass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mZ1LPwe01k
Old Aug 3, 2007, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
seems like you're losing power in the back 1/8th
Old Aug 3, 2007, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

You know what you need to do better - you just said it. You need to learn to drive the car, and then your times will improve drastically.

I'm a good baseline for you, since I have an 05 MR. I ran a 12.26 @ 110 with the mods you listed, assuming you are tuned. If you aren't tuned, then that would be foolish.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Thats is really a good time warrtalon..... Well supposely it has HKS 272 CAMS also, but I'm not 100% sure.... I am tuned, it was tuned using ECUTEK.... I don't have any idea how to launch this thing... Its all-AWD, so I know it won't spin out.. Could you give some advice on how to launch this beast....

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You know what you need to do better - you just said it. You need to learn to drive the car, and then your times will improve drastically.

I'm a good baseline for you, since I have an 05 MR. I ran a 12.26 @ 110 with the mods you listed, assuming you are tuned. If you aren't tuned, then that would be foolish.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

If it has cams AND is tuned, then it's terribly slow, and the time is super crappy. I say that just to answer your first post questions.

As for launch advice, can you believe that I've _already_ posted my advice a few hundred times to include my own threads showing launch vids and giving my launch technique? Hard to believe, I know.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well if it has cams and is tuned then the times are bad. If not then there pretty good but, you need to get tuned asap!! Also need to find out for sure if you have cams or not, not that hard to pull the valve cover.

As far as launching goes there are a ton of threads covering this but here are the basics. If you have a 2-step its much easier. Get your RPM's between 5500-6000 and quickly slip out the clutch while applying full throttle. Much easier with the 2-step cause you just hold down the gas and all you have to worry about is the clutch slip. You DO NOT want to just drop the clutch.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 02:00 AM
Evolving Member

hey thanks man for the great tip.... so the 05 MR is not already equip with the 2-step??? I'll prolly try to pop the valve cover open to see if I have CAMS or not, but can't do it until I get back from my business trip to winsconsin... I'll keep you guy updated.. and again thanks a lot guys....

Originally Posted by NIevo
Well if it has cams and is tuned then the times are bad. If not then there pretty good but, you need to get tuned asap!! Also need to find out for sure if you have cams or not, not that hard to pull the valve cover.

As far as launching goes there are a ton of threads covering this but here are the basics. If you have a 2-step its much easier. Get your RPM's between 5500-6000 and quickly slip out the clutch while applying full throttle. Much easier with the 2-step cause you just hold down the gas and all you have to worry about is the clutch slip. You DO NOT want to just drop the clutch.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 02:06 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, all 05s and 06s come with it set to 5k rpm from the factory, but it usually gets raised when you get tuned.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by J-ROC
hey guys, i took my baby out to the tracks for the first time, and i'm not sure what i'm suppose to run for times. My car is not really modified, but it has Megan TBE, Hallman MBC, APS BOV. I have an 05 MR, and the best time i ran on the 1/4 mile strip was 12.8 @ 108mph. Is that good or bad??? please give me your thoughts if its doing whats it suppose to do, or its just too damm slow....
Originally Posted by J-ROC
Well supposely it has HKS 272 CAMS also, but I'm not 100% sure.... I am tuned, it was tuned using ECUTEK....
And you still think that your car is not really modified?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 06:55 AM
Account Disabled

Did you buy the car used?
Don't feel bad, everyone has to learn somewhere.
Your times will be much better once you get your launch down.

Good luck!
Old Aug 5, 2007, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Yes i did buy the car used... I paid 22k for it with 14k miles on it. I guess the previous owner had it heavy modified, but when he trade the car in he had taken off all his aftermarket parts, and put everything back to stock except the CAMS, and the ECUTEK tuned ecu. So when i bought the car, I had to modify it to run right, cause the second day I had the car, i blew the head gasket due to boosting 27psi with everything stock. Stock TBE etc...... So I just threw in the basics and went to get it tuned, it seems like its running pretty good now. I'm still learning about EVO's as i go, but I finally got the 2-step launch down. will be going back to the tracks and see what i do. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks

Originally Posted by Sky Evo X
Did you buy the car used?
Don't feel bad, everyone has to learn somewhere.
Your times will be much better once you get your launch down.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 05 MR @ the 1/4 mile Strip