Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Why is my friend's cobra faster?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's this world coming to? Sounds like a Honda kid that in now able to afford an Evo... I wish they would have stayed 25k+ so some people could never afford them...

If you really don't know why a car that has more than twice your engine, I assume a bigger turbo, better for drag racing at the strip and modified more than yours, then you should research a lot and find the answer yourself to save yourself the embarrassment you are in for.

What are you mods and who tuned the car for you? What time are you running at the track?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:20 PM

I guess they are just quicker than I thought.. I did some researching those 4v cobras respond pretty well to modifications and they make some badass turbos for them.. you guys are right just my own stupidity,

As for my car it has the ATP GT3037S turbo running @20psi w/ets intercooler, my dad's friend's shop ordered it and pieced together a kit for it and I helped with labor. It took 2 months to get done because it was a side job, but it seemed like a long time and a lot of work to me. It also has HKS cams, a cai, 3in stainless steel exhaust, and eibach springs if that matters. Oh and tuned by Redline Performance.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:23 PM

To many jokes, brain. overheating...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:24 PM

Btw i'm not a Honda kid! I'm 23 and have always had a passion for imports, but Honda has never done it for me, maybe because there are so many of them around town with primer paint jobs and loud fart cans.. and they come pretty darn slow stock
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it's NOS, that stuff is too expensive. He probably dumped a few bottles of this in his tank before the race, and if I were you I would do the same... but maybe dump 4 bottles for each 2 he does...

Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

lol i can tell you what your problem is, the cobra is obviously WAY more modded than your evo turn the boost up to 30psi for starters 20 isn't going to get you anywhere fast. That mustang is probably putting down close to 500 rwhp so your going to need more than 20psi on a gt30 to get your car to keep up or even beat that mustang.

The fact that he has a turbo means he's dumped alot of $ into it.

Another thing is a 99-02 cobra is junk wait until you run against a 03-04 with a few things like exhaust and a pulley upgrade on the s/c and putting down mid 400s

Last edited by kaonashi; Nov 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Stop feeding the troll
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SSickLS1
Stop feeding the troll
lol
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by evospoolin
As for my car it has the ATP GT3037S turbo running @20psi w/ets intercooler, my dad's friend's shop ordered it and pieced together a kit for it and I helped with labor. It took 2 months to get done because it was a side job, but it seemed like a long time and a lot of work to me. It also has HKS cams, a cai, 3in stainless steel exhaust, and eibach springs if that matters. Oh and tuned by Redline Performance.
Your answer is having an ATP turbo tuned at 20psi. That turbo is old technology and does not produce near the power of the other turbos available today such as the FP, MAP, and CBRD stock frame line up.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
why only 20psi?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's your car run and what's his car run?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by kaonashi
lol i can tell you what your problem is, the cobra is obviously WAY more modded than your evo turn the boost up to 30psi for starters 20 isn't going to get you anywhere fast. That mustang is probably putting down close to 500 rwhp so your going to need more than 20psi on a gt30 to get your car to keep up or even beat that mustang.

The fact that he has a turbo means he's dumped alot of $ into it.

Another thing is a 99-02 cobra is junk wait until you run against a 03-04 with a few things like exhaust and a pulley upgrade on the s/c and putting down mid 400s

Thanks for the informative post instead of talking crap.. 500whp is my new goal. I just underestimated his car I guess.

Oh and 2 of the races were run at 20psi last year because when I first got this setup I was super paranoid. (this car is my DD)

This last race was in Charleston last week, we both went up to redline together and I had mine tuned to 25 psi, which is what my friend with the cobra recommended. We went to the track later that day and he still beat me but by just a little over a car length. Is 30psi safe though? I daily drive this car and I don't want it to blow up
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by itsmrrizz2you
What's your car run and what's his car run?
His car runs low 11's and mine runs high 11s. I lost my et sheet from that day but next time I see him i'll ask him for his
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guys, I'm having a similar problem. My 750whp evo is getting raped by my friends GT-R. Don't think he has any mods other than this badge that says "Alpha 12" on it. I know my car is faster than a stock GTR, not sure what's going on.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:54 PM

And everyone asks a stupid question at some point.. it was stupid of me to even make this thread I was just frustrated about the loss and mainly wanted to vent so sorry if that offends you guys..

But I would appreciate any tips on reaching 500whp because I do really want to beat him

Ok I know my car is not as fast as a GTR lol sorry I just don't know much about mustangs

Quick Reply: Why is my friend's cobra faster?