Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

How do I 60ft. like Chris Young?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I 60ft. like Chris Young?

I decided to make an attempt at humor in the title but the question begs to be asked. I'm still trying to get used to the power I'm making and 60ft right now is one of my problems. Shifting is definitely the other.

This past weekend I witnessed Chris cut a 1.40 60ft and drag his bumper on the ground. I thought that had to be his best 60ft. I never see evos cut those. Then I bring up one of his threads and he mentions getting back into the 1.3s. This seems crazy but he's doing it. So how does it 60ft so well? I know for one he's light (25xxlbs.) which helps. He has boost by gear setup so he's not roasting the tires. He also has the driver mod which is huge. In all seriousness I never see much about techniques or mods or settings to 60ft. I feel like it's one of those things no one talks about. So if anyone is interested in throwing out some info or opinions Id appreciate it.

Tire Pressure
Coilover Setup (Spring Rate, Alignment)
Is the car strapped in the front?
Emergency brake technique?
Staging brake?

These are the things I'm looking for. Feel free to share.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I know he runs Apexi Coil overs and slicks im not sure if he has a Staging Brake. has one of the best Clutches if not the Best Clutch on the market to
Old Aug 14, 2015, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Haha, nice thread title! I saw the pictures & video of his car squatting, definitely impressive! I THINK Chris is running Swift springs on his Apexi coilovers, no idea on the spring rate though. The perfect spring rates is definitely a big part in equation to get the car to 60ft & squat like that. As mentioned above he's rocking a Tilton clutch from what I can remember. And I imagine he is running a staging brake setup similar to what STM sells. I will be installing the same kit on my car.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

I spoke to him at the shootout and he's cool about sharing his setup. I just never got into 60ft and launch details
Old Aug 14, 2015, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

You can call STM to obtain a suspension that does that ;-)
Old Aug 15, 2015, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you want Chris Young 60 foots and shifting then you need Chris Young him self in the car. There is no other like Chris Young. He is so bad ***.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoDan2004
If you want Chris Young 60 foots and shifting then you need Chris Young him self in the car. There is no other like Chris Young. He is so bad ***.
Dan you're probably right. BTW, I just got my Shorai Battery in today. Gonna install it later. I'll let you know if it fixes my problem. Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

awesome dude. talked to him in the staging lanes as he was the paIr up right before mine.. hes got a staging brake that said he just started using and he was struggling with the car 60ft'ing all weekend. i know his best 60ft was round 4 of elim against the other yellow evo which was the 1.40
Old Aug 16, 2015, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's pretty simple to do. Just takes practice.

I think most of the cars that are fast use the staging brake technique along with having a great suspension like the STM setup (not sure what Chris uses)

I think 3/4 of my last passes I did low 1.5 and then did a 1.4

For me I light one light on the tree and then begin to release the clutch while using the gas while pulling up on the staging brake to preload. If the other racer has not fully staged yet I just sit there holding the staging brake as hard as I can while engaging the clutch and gas pedal still.
Once they fully stage I am still holding staging brake and clutch out in same position while getting on 2step.
Once it's green light you have to release staging brake and clutch almost exactly same time (or staging brake slightly sooner) and then just release the clutch.
90% of th time it works.
I have:
STM staging brake
STM rear springs
Hoosier QTP ~12psi
Old Aug 16, 2015, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by d-bo

I think most of the cars that are fast use the staging brake technique along with having a great suspension like the STM setup (not sure what Chris uses)

For me I light one light on the tree and then begin to release the clutch while using the gas while pulling up on the staging brake to preload. If the other racer has not fully staged yet I just sit there holding the staging brake as hard as I can while engaging the clutch and gas pedal still.
Once they fully stage I am still holding staging brake and clutch out in same position while getting on 2step.
Once it's green light you have to release staging brake and clutch almost exactly same time (or staging brake slightly sooner) and then just release the clutch.
90% of th time it works.
I have:
STM staging brake
STM rear springs
Hoosier QTP ~12psi
Thanks for the info. This is the stuff I'm looking for
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by d-bo

90% of th time it works.
I have:
STM staging brake
STM rear springs
Hoosier QTP ~12psi
What are stm rear springs. I don't see them on their website?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by V8HAHA
What are stm rear springs. I don't see them on their website?
You have to call them and order them since the spring depends on the strut it's going on. They don't give out the spring rate.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

the spring rate is a swift 5K spring on both STM and AWD's D2 spec'ed coilovers. they alter the valving on the strut as well. its not just a spring swap.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evilevo2006
the spring rate is a swift 5K spring on both STM and AWD's D2 spec'ed coilovers. they alter the valving on the strut as well. its not just a spring swap.
Thanks for the info. Maybe ill order a set for my current coilover and mess with the valve to see how it works.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

It's not 5k lol.

Quick Reply: How do I 60ft. like Chris Young?