Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Rear diff clunk after a hard upshift?

Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xfer
Whew...I'm glad someone asked this. I thought maybe it was just my shifting. Being my first awd turbo and 6 speed.
ditto I was a little worried about this myself til I found this thread
the first time I heard that I about filled my pampers. if I take it easy its fine but when I hammer it through the gears, CLUNK. kinda like a wake up call saying hey a$$hole, take it easy
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ Rotfl!
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:21 AM

Just bumping... since i've heard people ask about this and it happened to me once.

anyone have anymore info on this? even though its sounds like its no big deal, it can't be good.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

WT said it's the rear carrier bearing clunking. I noticed after my exedy twin plate clutch, it clunks every single time i try to shift fast... no matter what rpm i'm at.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

i know with DSMs, the carrier bearing bushing gets dry rotted and the bearing itself hits the bearing housing. This causes thumping under hard accel. i dont think this would be the case in the evo because of their newness, but just throwing it out there.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

not to scare anyone,

my 97 TT supra made that noise at 60k miles. turned out to be a fried rear-end.

hehe, actually that made no sense; just come to discover that while installing an upgraded HKS TT kit, my second diff -with 15k miles, is toast. meanwhile, it never once made a noise. it did, however, make some noise while turning. o well, im just talking at this point....blah blah blah
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, ......
i have a ferrari 550m that sometimes when you turn the car off the lights flicker a bit. my mechanic thought it had something to do with the rear diff but it turned out just to be a wiring short due to the turbo system i pulled off the old F40 sitting in the garage. Well now you all know that i own a ferarri now, and im just talking for no reason.... :P
Old Oct 2, 2006, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
mine has only done that shifting from 1st to 2nd so i thought id let the clutch out just a little bit easier and it solved my problem
Old Nov 8, 2006, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

how far do u push in the clutch while shifting? i juss barely push the clutch while shifitng and doens't seem to make the clunk sound...
Old Nov 9, 2006, 05:35 PM

I experienced this while looking for used Evos.. Blew it up to about 55 from a dead stop. Running through 1st and then popping it into 2nd real quick there was a loud THUNK from the rear and the owner just about took a ****e, and then calmed down and asked me what the hell that was.. Which made me think either he was a great actor or he really never drove the isht hard enough to hear it. So I guess that car was babied, but then again, why would it have that sound, and at 15k miles at that!? I ended up buying another ride with 16k on the clock and it didn't have this problem. Strange, is Mitsu's quality really that off?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

I too was curious about the clunk...it only happens going to 3rd while revving it out. My bro-n-law thought the back end of the kaa was going to fall off. haha...

Dennis
Old Nov 10, 2006, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
All I know is that if I don't HEAR and FEEL the HAMMERING CLUNK I am not shifting right :P
Old Nov 19, 2006, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

It's the rear diff bushing flexing and the rear diff bumping the stops. It happens on STi's too. Not a big deal unless you do it too often. If you want to get rid of the noise just replace the rear diff bushings.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Normal
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
It's the rear diff bushing flexing and the rear diff bumping the stops. It happens on STi's too. Not a big deal unless you do it too often. If you want to get rid of the noise just replace the rear diff bushings.
I have the same Problem before with the stock clutch and after I installed the OS Giken STR clutch during hard upshift. .. so I asked the tuner about it.. his answered was "Its normal, to avoid it you have to give a little throttle , like about 5% before you released the clutch.." well it worked..
but now I also noticed the one of the local Evo Driver over here got his AYC equiped Diff damaged due to the hard upshifting over the years after he installed the HKS GD twin on his MR.. well the fact I have the similar MR, I'm looking to installed Stiffer Ralliart Rear diff Bushings , hopefully in a couple of weeks. I'll let you guys know what happened next..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear diff clunk after a hard upshift?