Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

2nd gear = slower shift for smoothness?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2003, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2nd gear = slower shift for smoothness?

Is it just me, or do you have to shift slower to 2nd gear for a smooth shift, compared to the other gears?
Old Jul 27, 2003, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not on mine, it's more 3rd that you have to pause a split second before making the shift...
Old Jul 27, 2003, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Is yours stock? What's the reason behind a slower shift in a particular gear? I dont have a problem with 3rd gear at all.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

all i've done is Eibach ProKit, and an AMS catback...

i'm not sure what the deal is with the gearbox... it's not an issue for me, cause i've just adapted my shifting to the car behavior...

when i say "pause" it's a split second pause, nothing that would affect it down a 1/4 mile, but i don't race like that anyhow...
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

that kind of sucks if youve gotta shift fast.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 09:29 PM

Have the same issue with 2nd gear on my 2010 GSR. It seems to get better as the car warms up. There seem to be quite a few posts on the issue so I'm looking for a solution. Contemplating going to the dealer and having them check it out. Previously I was driving a Cooper S with a Getrag box, overall the box in the GSR feels pretty rough by comparison.

Last edited by klaoud; Nov 28, 2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When my IX is cold I have to be really slow shifting into 2nd to avoid grindage. It's been that way ever since I bought the car new in '06. As soon as it warms up fully (1/2 way point on temp gauge) it's fine.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by GTisRule
When my IX is cold I have to be really slow shifting into 2nd to avoid grindage. It's been that way ever since I bought the car new in '06. As soon as it warms up fully (1/2 way point on temp gauge) it's fine.
Same 2nd gear issue when cold on my '05 VIII. Less of an issue now, since moving from Minnesota to Massachusetts. But yeah, once its warm, second works much better. Also motivation (or an excuse) to get a remote starter!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 08:41 AM
Former Sponsor

There is a large gear ratio change between 1st and second, also, the higher the torque multiplication, the harder it will be to engage a gear-- thus it is pretty hard to downshift back into firs. This is the reason why 1st to 2nd feels harder. 3rd should feel nice and smooth. Once the oil in the gearbox heats up all the gear changes should get slightly smoother. Since it requires more work from the synchros for 1st and 2nd, this is noticed more in those changes. Remote starter won't work much, I don't think. It is a gearbox temp thing, not an engine temp thing. The only way it may work better (my older Evo knowledge is fading... ) is if engine oil it also used on the same circuit as something in the drivetrain that could also heat gearbox fluid. I doubt this though, since overheating is usually an issue on Evo transmissions.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

The '03 has a different 1-2 gear ratio to than the later cars did. It's bigger. this would account for a slight pause between 1-2 compared to 2-3 or especially 3-4, which feels like a very fast shift to me under normal driving conditions.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:01 AM

I'll bring this thread back alive lol.
The 2nd gear in my car is really sluggish everytime I shift into it.
I've driven 4 other 5 speeds before, ranging from a boosted Jetta to a WRX, and their cars seem to have a much easier transition from 1st to 2nd. It's a much faster transition, whereas my car I feel like it takes a second or two until it gets moving.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:03 PM

Well since Jakee brought the thread alive I guess I'll add that I also experience the sluggish shift into second. Also, sometimes I will shift into 3rd or 4th and the rpms drop quickly while other times they hesitate. This makes it difficult to develop any sort of rhythm or consistency. It might be worth noting that I have not owned this car for a full year and it is my first manual.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It is also very hard for me to shift into second when cold. It's not even a grind. I'm simply locked out if I don't use a lot of finesse to get it into 2nd.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by EBrown
Well since Jakee brought the thread alive I guess I'll add that I also experience the sluggish shift into second. Also, sometimes I will shift into 3rd or 4th and the rpms drop quickly while other times they hesitate. This makes it difficult to develop any sort of rhythm or consistency. It might be worth noting that I have not owned this car for a full year and it is my first manual.
YES! haha, I thought I was going crazy or something. The RPMS drop at different speeds sometimes for me and it's almost impossible for me to get the hang of this car. I've noticed that if I have my A/C on, the RPMs seem to act differently, so I'll turn off the A/C and the RPMs seem to be more consistent but it's still hard to get that rhythm.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakee
YES! haha, I thought I was going crazy or something. The RPMS drop at different speeds sometimes for me and it's almost impossible for me to get the hang of this car. I've noticed that if I have my A/C on, the RPMs seem to act differently, so I'll turn off the A/C and the RPMs seem to be more consistent but it's still hard to get that rhythm.
are you sure that's not a function of exactly how you're letting go of the throttle before you make the shift? i.e., depending on if you're steady state and let go, you were just accelerating a little and let go, were in the boost and let go,

Quick Reply: 2nd gear = slower shift for smoothness?