Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

First time to track with the X

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2008, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time to track with the X

I was wondering if it's best to leave all driving assists on or turn off ASC....

Also what is the best when it comes to tire pressure. I have never really messed with tire pressure at the track but I hear I really should watch the psi.... so can anyone help me out?
Old Jun 28, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

If you are talking about the drag strip, I put my tires at 22 in the front and 23 in the back. I havent done my research on that ASC for the X, Im sure there is someone that could answer that question though.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Oh sorry I guess I should have clarified....road course. Infineon raceway to be exact.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're one of the first, so you'll have to tell us. Tire pressures should be around 40 all around.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've done an autocross with the X and a full day at a track (Motorsport Ranch).

Here's my suggestions:

- try it with traction control all the way on, at least to feel it. The other X at MSR drove it this way and was putting down some decent times. I like to run with it half off (just press the button). Things got a bit squirrely with it all the way off (hold the button for 4 seconds until the dash goes crazy).

- tire pressure is key. 40PSI is good. Lower is bad. It was 100* out and after 20 minutes on the track my tires at 38# were up around 45-48# right after getting off the track. I lowered it to 32# and things went bad quick and I had to air up to enjoy myself again.

- maintain at least 1/2 a tank of gas. I experienced fuel starvation with 1/3 a tank after two left hand sweepers (this is common in older Evos as well).

Have you gotten any of the factory or aftermarket flashes? I've had both factory flashes and was able to pull hard up to the rev limiter. The other X hadn't had either and when I was behind him he was definitely having to short shift to stay in the power band.

As far as gas, I went 88 miles on 10 gallons (the gas station was right outside of the track, so those 88 miles were all on the track) on 93 octane (no ethanol). I'd had an oil change a couple days before and I recommend that you do one as well. It definitely seemed to help smooth out the engine.

ETA: I just realized that this was from 2 weeks ago. Sorry for the delayed response
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:31 PM
Former Sponsor

...so... how was it?! What did you try? I HOPE you drove it without any of those pesky driver assists and tried to play with tire pressure instead of just shooting for a certain pressure all around... I'm curious how you liked it though!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I did another autocross today.

I did 1 run with asc off and 3 runs with EVERYTHING off.

The X feels much more powerful with everything off and it was very tail happy. With ASC 1/2 off it felt like there was a lot of understeer, but with it all off it felt a lot more like a RWD car.

Shaved 2 seconds off a 53 second run with ASC full off. Last run I spun out though