Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Detailed Instructions on Properly Launching an Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailed Instructions on Properly Launching an Evo

I have search the forums and have not found a detailed step by step guide on how to properly launch an evo to get the best times and cause minimal shock to the drivetrain and wear on the clutch. Everyone has different answers and I was wondering if anyone who really knows this car can give precise instructions on how to do this. I'm sure a lot of people are going to argue this with me but evom does not have this (at least I couldn't find it) and feel like it would really benefit everyone on the forum.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

I don't believe there is a simple answer that applies to all setups. It depends on your modifications, and these cars are so popular for mods, everyone's is different. Some basic considerations are clutch, tire size/type, restrictor pill removal, and of course engine mods.

Unfortunately I think the only way to truly find your launch point is to take some of the suggestions here as guidelines, and try different techniques yourself.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Holy crap.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

As previously mentioned, and as I have also found out, there is no "exact formula" for a perfect launch. Some Evo's have a built in 2-step, some don't. Some guys are running the stock clutch, and therefore can't slip the clutch as much as someone with a heavy duty clutch. There's all sorts of variables that will determine your individual "perfect launch." I'm sure by now you have the general concept of how slip the clutch to start to build boost, then slip/dump the rest of the way and go. The exact RPM's versus how much clutch slippage ... thats all going to be something you have to find out with your own Evo.

Just be prepared to invest in a new clutch after all this practicing. "Learning" how to launch your car is going to put your stock clutch through hell.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

I made this thread so there didn't have to be dozens of launch threads with incomplete information. So some people want to launch their cars and do it right. Its fun for Christ sake isn't that why we all but these cars in the first place? Your explanation of dropping the clutch is not helping. You can argue with me all u want but the reason there are so many launch threads out there us because everyone wants to do it and few truly know how. Yes, I agree launching can be bad for a car but there is a way to get that smooth burst of speed everyone craves without frying your clutch or exploding your transmission
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

I have an exedy stage II with ss clutch lines and a fidanza flywheel I have a 06 so I have two step at 5.
So if have it in first gear gas and clutch to the floor, build boost let my foot out slowly until it grabs then release until I move and then just let it go? Or wants it grabs a little bit drop it? Thanks for the help
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

The reason there isn't an "Official How to Launch You Evo" thread is because of exactly what we're telling you. There is not "exact" science to it. Every Evo is going to be different. If I tell you how I launch my Evo and cut 1.8 60ft times, then you try it the exact same way, there's no promise your results will be the same.

It's going to be different for everyone. The general concept of launching has been posted 10 million times - you have to fine tune it to your car.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5k is too low to be launching anyway, so you need to get that changed.

I have posted many times in many threads and have even posted my own threads specifically talking about how to launch. I have even provided a vid showing just about a perfect take-off. It's all in the Drag Racing forum where it belongs.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MATT@WORKS
Holy crap.

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Alright! First try with new clutch perfect launch scared me half to death no bog no transmission jolt of burning clutch! Thanks for the help I think the higher revs really helps. I promise I will never post about launching again
Old Jul 15, 2008, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok.. Well since you have good clutch you can be more aggressive with it so i'm going to give you all the pointers I learned through my own experience and asking others.

1. First you have to learn your clutch, learn to teach your foot a relative point of where the clutch engages or disengages. To do this you'll have to put your car in first gear. And simply let the clutch go and feel where it starts to grip. At some point you'll have to give it more gas and actually move forward to see where the clutch grips it's 100%. Knowing this is key to a great launch.

2. Not that you know your clutch engage point, You're ready to practice launching. Push in the clutch, and put the car into first gear. let go of the clutch slowly until you get to that point where the car barely starts to move forward. When you've arrived to this spot, push in the clutch in just a little more. If you've done this right the car will not longer be moving but you'll be very close to the engagement point.

3. Keep that clutch foot steady and get on the gas. If you have a two-step built into the car just push the gas all the way down and let it bounce off the rev limit. Please note the optimal rev limit should be around 6,000.

(In my experience 5,000 is enough but it will not give you the best launch. So if you simply have the factory rev limit of 5,000 you should get a reflash. If you don't have any type of 2-step then i suggest try this method.)
While holding that clutch at that spot just waiting to be unleashed, use your right foot and bounce it on the gas pedal hovering around 6,000 rpm's. It's a bit tricky but you'll get the hang of it. The trick is to keep a quick steady bounce, dont take long bounces just short quick ones.

4. Now that you're at this stage, when its' time to go (Green light) you push down on the gas first, as the engine is revving up slowly let go of the clutch. It will be best to burn a little clutch and slip it in than to let it go quickly and bog the car. This is where you'll have more difficulty launching the car. It takes time and practice to train your foot on how slow to let it go. From my experience it is best to go slower than quicker. It's actually alot about feel. You should feel the car move a bit smooth but firm off the line. When you feel it's in motion you let go of the clutch even quicker, and the you let it go entirely. The entire process is about 1.1/4 seconds long. where I divide 1/2 seconds smoothing out the clutch, another 1/4 of a second letting it go quickly and then a final 1/4 second letting go completely.

5. The benefit of holding the clutch near it's engagement point will help your reaction time, it will also help you from slapping the clutch to the flywheel. That's about it.. if i think of something else I'll add to it or others can comment their pointers. Anything really left to do is practice, practice, practice. Keep in mind dragging on the street pavement and at the track are two different things. On the street you have more room for error, at the track let things smooth out even more, I would say it's a 1 1/2 second Full launch. Reason.. : Grippy pavement means your parts take more of a shock. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 02:13 PM

thanks
Old Aug 18, 2015, 07:49 PM

Even before launching, make sure there is no "slack" in your drivetrain, roll to a stop in 1st gear, then take off from there. Use this approach at the drag strip and on the street, don't flip it into reverse or neutral ... keep your drivetrain tight! There are a lot of rotating components and the less initial shock, the longer they will last