Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Help!! U.S. Lancer ES Drifting Techniques Needed

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2002, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!! U.S. Lancer ES Drifting Techniques Needed

Hey everybody, I 've come for help.
I need to find out how 2 efficently drift with the U.S. Lancer.
As u noe the U.S. Lancer is front wheel drive.
So i need 2 have a list of all the parts needed 2 efficently drift and instructions on how 2 enter the drift and control it throughout and exit.

Reminder: The car is a U.S. Lancer ES '02 manual
Old May 13, 2002, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Well you can't technically drift in a front wheel drive car (backwards maybe though? ) but you can get a nice power slide going if done right.
Old May 13, 2002, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

i think you need all 4 disc brakes to drift...and also..new tires...totally new suspensions...and a major engine upgrade... and etc. etc.. i think its more cost effective to make the US lancer a show car or drag then a drift....
Old May 13, 2002, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

HEH the car doesnt have enough power... and its FWD so like pjal said you cant Techincally drift, you can do some powerslides but those are pretty not cool...
Old Sep 13, 2002, 03:07 AM

A powerslide is power-induced oversteer, which you can't do in a FWD car unless you're driving backwards.

What you can do is butt-drag, which is shifting the car's weight, then pulling the handbrake to break rear traction. This isn't sustainable, since you'll come out of it as soon as you apply throttle, however. Give it a try in the rain though... it can be fun
Old Sep 13, 2002, 03:16 AM

OK, what are we talking about here , if you mean going round the corner and having the car slide ....or drift with all four wheels trying to hang on for dear life yes its possible , But if you mean keeping the car under control with the throttle... mmm not likely unless youe 4x4 or rw with a lot of hp ..
Old Sep 13, 2002, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

fwd drift= not possible by definition. Powerslide is very hard to pull of, butt slide as it was called isn't much fun and hard on the car unless pavement is slick ..i.e. rain or snow covered. you can do some fun stuff though with the hand brake and full throttle turning. I was able to 180 on dry pavement.
Old Sep 13, 2002, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

FWD = handbrake traction losing
Old Oct 11, 2002, 03:12 PM

you can drift a fwd. its pretty complicated. you dont need to use the hand brake to start it. you have to be going just fast enough and "heel & toe" just right after you start to turn. rev should be 4000 or higher and control the drift with the hand brake. when the rear starts to skid just use the hand bake to lock & unlock the wheels quickly. thats it.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

why would you want to go through so much trouble to drift?
you could just make a nice quick entrance heal-toe downshift hook apex hard and exit smothly pretty damn fast

trust me i should know

gosh i love driving my lancer
Old Oct 24, 2002, 04:29 AM

You can drift in a FWD Car. I can say this because I have done it.
I had a car that was FWD and I put larger wheels on the front and keep the back wheels standard. When you go round corners quickly, you will find the back end with slide out because the front wheels grip and the back end dont, so you can produce the drift that way. another way is to lift off over steer.

For example you are approaching a left corner.

for the correct racing line through the corner pick the right hand lane and just before you break for the corner throw the car right and then quickly left to break the traction at the front wheels, if done properly you will slowly do a drift/powerslide through the corner, if you have ***** you can have the same effect as a rear wheel drive car, but it aint half as fun as a RWD
Old Nov 4, 2002, 02:59 AM

well okay im confused so we cant drift with our lancers right? and is it more effective to just "heel & toe"?
Old May 10, 2003, 06:39 AM

To clarify some of the questions here, yes it is possible to drift with a FWD car. I currently drive the Evo. VIII and can get it as well as other AWD and FWD cars to slide. The handbrake is not necessary to do so, although it may assist. Try going around 50 mph, then rocking your car to the outside of a turn swiftly turning back inside and applying the brakes. This causes oversteer even in a naturally understeering car because of the principle of physics that traction does not transer as quickly as weight does. Play around with it, and use the throttle to put weight on your rear, and utilize the wheel to point your front end... look and steer where you want to go, and make smooth controlled motions. Also, a heel-toe is a technique designed to be used so as to minimize engine braking when threshold braking. It is matching your revs while downshifting. Engine braking when employed incorrectly without heel-toe can cause your wheels to lock up, since they might push your car beyond the threshold. With ABS, it's not as bad. Also, drifting should only be done to look tight, not be fast, as it carries no momentum through a corner exit. Be careful while practicing too, as many including myself have bit it on tight S series turns. Good luck! Also, I urge you all to check out www.samuraifiles.com for some tight vids!
Old May 11, 2003, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

here you go as to some trchniques http://www.geocities.com/go2iddrift/
givin that in your car you prob wont be able to do most(if any)of these but i thought i'd at least give you a throw in the right direction
Old May 11, 2003, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

So, some you guys/gals say that the Lancer ES can drift? Does this apply to the manual or automatic ES?

Quick Reply: Help!! U.S. Lancer ES Drifting Techniques Needed