Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Jim Russell Evo School Review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn it Paul! Got room in your suitcase?

Dave
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by DaveK
Damn it Paul! Got room in your suitcase?

Dave
carry-on only!

Another review, this one is a video from the GT Channel
Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10% off. Hm... We should get a group together and go!

d
Old Mar 12, 2010, 05:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by donour
10% off. Hm... We should get a group together and go!

d
It would be very cool to have a full group of EVOm members. "EVO X's go Wild" would be the working title for that crazy day
Old Mar 18, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chronohunter
It would be very cool to have a full group of EVOm members. "EVO X's go Wild" would be the working title for that crazy day
Paul, how many is a full group?

d
Old Mar 18, 2010, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

I'll be there mid-April.

tick-tick-tick...
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by donour
Paul, how many is a full group?

d
12 max
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Q15H
I'll be there mid-April.

tick-tick-tick...
Cool, I will be there leading April 14th
Old Mar 26, 2010, 03:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Talking Big news!!!

OK so get this... Mitsubishi has just announced the the winner of our challenge course (autocross) competition held at each Lancer Evolution Experience event will get invited back for a finals competition. The winner of the finals will get a free Evo X (lease) for a year!!! oh and

I am waiting for Mark Daddio to call me seconds after this is posted

School price stays the same at $995 (and don't forget to ask for the 10% EVOm discount on top of that)

Let's go everyone, no excuses now!

Way to step up
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:28 PM
Shy

Smile

Seems nice!

Anyone knows of other schools that focus on the evo 9 ?

also for curriculm to include little of curev drifting, handbrake turns etc?

Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very nice. i hope i can make it sometime before the end of the summer.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 07:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dhanna
Seems nice!

Anyone knows of other schools that focus on the evo 9 ?

also for curriculm to include little of curev drifting, handbrake turns etc?

Thanks
You will definitely get to drift but no e-brake turns, that is more like a rally school.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Heading to SFO tomorrow morning. See you Wednesday morning at Infineon!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

I attended this one-day program this past Wednesday. A brief review and some pics of the day. For most of Tuesday, the day I arrived into SFO, the track held an assortment of club events with cars ranging from Lotus Elises to Porsche Turbos to Ferrari Challenge cars. Fun stuff to watch.

There were five students in the class and the school had six X's available, three MR's and three GSRs. The red MR I drove most of the day was a 2008 model, and it was rumored to be the first MR into the country that was given to the press corps in late summer, 2007. It had a little over 15K miles on it when we met. There was one 2008 model GSR - the rest were 2010 models. The other red MR was a 2010 Touring version with a sun roof.

A brief ground school covered handling basics and course objectives. Then the introduction to the X: weight distribution compared to earlier EVOs, new electronic stability controls, etc. Then off to the paddock exercises. For each exercise, except the on-track sessions, two or three students climbed into an X while the instructor drove around demonstrating the techniques. Then back to our own cars while the instructor(s) chatted at the start line or on the radio.

First exercise: 4-cone slalom. About ten runs with coaching in-between. Alternating drivers in different cars. Working on technique, learning to make the EVO dance. For entertainment, there was also the occasional sheep (which is plural, btw) bleating on the hills across the way.

2nd exercise: straight-line braking, followed by straight line braking into a constant radius corner, trail-braking into corner, accelerating out. Lots of instant, HARD mashing on the brake pedal to immediately activate the ABS controls and allow the electronics to slow the car.

3rd: Lead-follow on full Sears Point road course. About 25 minutes with instructor in front, students following 3 car lengths behind, then alternating second, third places so everyone got to be the first follower. Everyone has a radio to listen to instructor coaching.

Lunch: salad, veggies, sandwiches, water, soda, cookies, brownies.

4th: Auto-x. Includes most of the straight-line braking exercise area and the 4-cone slalom. One car at a time. We come back to this same course, all five students, near the end of the day for timed runs (one) - aka "The Competition".

5th: The Scandinavian Flick (see videos). Set stability control full off. The object is to run into a right hand bend fast enough to invoke a slight over-steer then immediately toss the steering wheel the other direction, like catching the over-steer, but dramatically over-correcting so the car rotates, rapidly, in the opposite direction. Then give it full throttle and steer where you want to go with all four wheels spinning. This takes a lot of practice - to not try to catch the over-steer condition with corrections but to just add full throttle to keep it going. Then the S-AYC keeps the power shifting between rear wheels to keep the car going in the proper direction. A very excellent demonstration of how the X's S-AYC works.

6th: Times auto-x runs. Everyone gets one timed run using the same car - the 2010 MR Touring.

7th: Then the second track session. 30 minutes.

Classroom debrief, certificates, awards, ...

Observations: Sears Point Raceway (now called Infineon Raceway) is totally awesome to drive. If you haven't driven this track, it needs to be put on your To-Do list.

The Continental tires were very predictable and forgiving at and over the limit of adhesion. The grip is definitely less than the stock Advans but they held up to the days torture without complaint.

All stock cars with stock brakes. We never added or allowed or any brake cooling, engine cool-off periods, etc. All the cars performed flawlessly. Note that they are all in stock tune.

The X is an extremely well balanced & very capable car. This class is a phenomenal opportunity to learn how well the X handles, & what it can do in a safe, fun environment. All while driving someone else's car.

We kept the nannies on for all exercises, except the Scandinavian Flick. I did notice it flashing a couple times on the auto-x and modified my driving technique slightly and it went away after that. There was one time on-track where I saw the nanny warning but it was only that once that I noticed it.

I did notice a few times on-track where the stock tune lacked the power of a tuned car. However I did not notice any exhaust popping that is common to the X (stock or tuned).

After class was over lots of cars were lined up for the Wednesday evening drag races. That track is pretty busy.
Attached Thumbnails Jim Russell Evo School Review-img_4099.jpg   Jim Russell Evo School Review-img_4102.jpg   Jim Russell Evo School Review-img_4108.jpg   Jim Russell Evo School Review-img_4112.jpg   Jim Russell Evo School Review-img_4119.jpg  

Last edited by Q15H; Apr 17, 2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

A few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails Jim Russell Evo School Review-img_4234.jpg   Jim Russell Evo School Review-img_4174.jpg   Jim Russell Evo School Review-img_4200.jpg   Jim Russell Evo School Review-img_4047.jpg   Jim Russell Evo School Review-img_4080.jpg  

Last edited by Q15H; Apr 17, 2010 at 10:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Jim Russell Evo School Review