Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Jim Russell Evo School Review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2010, 05:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Jim Russell Evo School Review

Third party review of the school. Everyone who reads this forum should make a pilgrimage to the U.S. EVO Mecca.

Just so you know up front I DO work there

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...chool-1264.htm
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:03 PM
abu
Evolving Member

HOw bout some special pricing for forum members?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That would be alot of fun. I might have to make the trip over the summer. The price on the site I assume it's per day?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

It's a great program! I had the opportunity to run it and it was a blast...especially because we ran in the rain!

Check this out, it's worth it.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Definitely looks like a good time!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like I'm scratching all that other garbage I was going to ask for my birthday. All family members: please pitch in for this!

Anyone have any additional information on when the school is offered? Evom discount?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by abu
HOw bout some special pricing for forum members?
Absolutely, I think that's only fair for the EVO faithful
I will pass on the idea to sales and post up the discount here
Old Feb 14, 2010, 03:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RoBear
Looks like I'm scratching all that other garbage I was going to ask for my birthday. All family members: please pitch in for this!

Anyone have any additional information on when the school is offered? Evom discount?

EVO program registration page (you have to call to actually register, better to talk to a real live person )
http://www.jimrussellusa.com/register

Upcoming Dates:

a few each month, usually during the week.

-Paul
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:06 PM
EvoM Guru

OK confirmed a 10% discount for EVOm members who sign up for a EVO program

See you ALL soon
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
but they only use Xs... it's a different drive for people using older cars without s-awc/s-ayc
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyooch
but they only use Xs... it's a different drive for people using older cars without s-awc/s-ayc
The way we teach is "car type agnostic" our teaching working in anything from FWD to RWD to AWD (or more accurately nose heavy to neutral to tail heavy cars because that make a bigger difference than which wheels are driven) so your covered there.

Also I have an 8 at home and drive the 10's at the school, the technique difference is much more subtle than you imply and really shown and obviously felt in just one exercise (the 10 let's you commit to throttle slightly harder and sooner coming out of the corner).

On the Auto-X or Track you drive them pretty much identically. We do talk specifically about the torque vectoring differential and how if affects technique and give the students the "don't try this in your own car" talk to cover our bases but again the way we teach it is really a non issue

sorry for the ramble!

Last edited by chronohunter; Feb 16, 2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Rambling :o
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by chronohunter
The way we teach is "car type agnostic" our teaching working in anything from FWD to RWD to AWD (or more accurately nose heavy to neutral to tail heavy cars because that make a bigger difference than which wheels are driven) so your covered there.

Also I have an 8 at home and drive the 10's at the school, the technique difference is much more subtle than you imply and really shown and obviously felt in just one exercise (the 10 let's you commit to throttle slightly harder and sooner coming out of the corner).

On the Auto-X or Track you drive them pretty much identically. We do talk specifically about the torque vectoring differential and how if affects technique and give the students the "don't try this in your own car" talk to cover our bases but again the way we teach it is really a non issue

sorry for the ramble!
no, not at all, i appreciate your input with that. i was somewhat wondering aloud how helpful a school like this would be for me, having a IX without AYC. aside from the more planted feel etc the biggest different probably would be the AYC, which is why I was wondering. One other reason is that I just recently purchased a Cusco 1.5 way RS diff for the rear, which is supposed to allow me to do just that (throttle harder and sooner for corner exit)
Old Feb 16, 2010, 09:32 PM

is this place located in Sonoma California? Thinking I may have to make a trip there if it is
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

I definitely plan on attending this year...how long does the school run for during the year?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 09:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyooch
no, not at all, i appreciate your input with that. i was somewhat wondering aloud how helpful a school like this would be for me, having a IX without AYC. aside from the more planted feel etc the biggest different probably would be the AYC, which is why I was wondering. One other reason is that I just recently purchased a Cusco 1.5 way RS diff for the rear, which is supposed to allow me to do just that (throttle harder and sooner for corner exit)
No worries, it's good to bring that stuff up in case others are thinking the same thing. It is easy to get caught up in all the differences between cars before going through some real formal training, only then it makes sense than you can learn in a way that lets you jump in any car and drive it well. There are no different techniques used, only differently balanced cars that you adapt your one (the one) technique too

Quick Reply: Jim Russell Evo School Review