Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

My Evo V RS in Autox

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Evo V RS in Autox

Hi Guys,

I´ve been doing Autox with my Evo for the past year, the car is setup with:

BC Racing RM Coilovers (front 5 clicks off softest, rear 10 clicks from softest)
Whiteline Roll center kit
Whiteline front sway bar links (ball joint)
Rear Perrin 25mm sway bar and mounts (set to softest)
Rear D2 adjustable control arms (ball joint)
Rear Megan Toe control arm (adjustable, ball joint)
Rear Perrin Sway bar links (ball joint)

I´m still to install trailing arm bushings, the ride heith is just a bit lower than OEM with the car prety much level, I found that if I lowered the front more than the rear the rear would loose stability and would be tail happy.

Anyway, here´s a video of my best lap in an event yesterday, I´d appreciate feedback on what more experienced Evo drivers can tell me to improve my driving. I have a set of Project MU Gymkhana rear brake shoes that will be installed shortly so I can start doing the u turns with the hand brake, some time is being lost in those u turns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Wcu37CPkQ

Thanks,

Ricardo
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy **** that is some good driving and fast as **** car.
I wish more US autocrosses had TONS of Gymkhana style U-turns.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 01:42 PM

tricky little course
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ricardo, awesome car, and tricky course, I wished I knew about this when I was in Lima last week!!!. C
Old Nov 30, 2010, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Hi Loofee! Thanks for the comments, we usually have about 16 to 20 Autox events a year through the months of April to November. Just last Sunday we had the final event, I didn´t do as good as before ´cause was a little unfocussed and made dumd mistakes... I´ll post another video of that last event.

The courses we have here are a little limited and sometimes even dangerous if you loose control of the car as there are walls, posts, or unleved dirt past the road. But its still a lot of fun!

Let me know if you ever return to Lima so that you can check out the Autox here!

Cheers,

Ricardo
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

I visit my family in Piura every year or so, I'll def let u know when I'll be there next time. C

Originally Posted by RJSP
Hi Loofee! Thanks for the comments, we usually have about 16 to 20 Autox events a year through the months of April to November. Just last Sunday we had the final event, I didn´t do as good as before ´cause was a little unfocussed and made dumd mistakes... I´ll post another video of that last event.

The courses we have here are a little limited and sometimes even dangerous if you loose control of the car as there are walls, posts, or unleved dirt past the road. But its still a lot of fun!

Let me know if you ever return to Lima so that you can check out the Autox here!

Cheers,

Ricardo
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:44 AM

Man, I love Autox!

I only did it 3 times this year (my first year) but it's so much fun! Now just trying to find funding for wheels/tires for the 2011 season.

Isn't it the best driving experience?

I only have a dinky '09 Lancer GTS, but it's still a lot of fun. I'd recommend this sport to anyone who loves to drive.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice, the car sounds great. I cant wait till summer .
Old May 15, 2011, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

2011 Season has started!!

Well today was the first autox event for the year and the competition is tougher, this year I´ll be focusing both in autox and Drag racing. Here is my best lap, the course was much faster than previous ones last year.

http://youtu.be/2uyy0040VRE

Ricardo
Old May 21, 2011, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

nice vid. i love the V. wish they had them in the states.
Old May 21, 2011, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have the brakes for it, start using your left foot for braking and stop losing all your boost on lifts. Also, if you aren't shifting, keep both hands on the wheel. Those are two things that I can see and hear.

Edit: one more change is to set your rear-view mirror so that you are never tempted to use it. To quote that silly movie, what is behind you is unimportant.

Last edited by Iowa999; May 21, 2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: added third suggestion
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

What size wheels and tires are you running. What type of tires also?

Got any action pics of the V?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

I´m using Enkei RPF1 17x8 with Toyo Victoracer V700 threadware 50, used to use Yokohama A048 threadware 60, but the Victo´s are much better. Those are the only semislick options we have in Peru, oh and size is 225x45.

Here are some pics,

Ricardo

-newbe question: Ho do I attach pics that I have previously loaded in other threads?
Attached Thumbnails My Evo V RS in Autox-autocross-cadepor-setiembre-2010.jpg   My Evo V RS in Autox-cadepor-5ta-2011-1.jpg   My Evo V RS in Autox-cadepor-5ta-2011-2.jpg   My Evo V RS in Autox-cadepor-5ta-2011-3.jpg  
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RJSP
I´m using Enkei RPF1 17x8 with Toyo Victoracer V700 threadware 50, used to use Yokohama A048 threadware 60, but the Victo´s are much better. Those are the only semislick options we have in Peru, oh and size is 225x45.

Here are some pics,

Ricardo

-newbe question: Ho do I attach pics that I have previously loaded in other threads?
Awesome pics! And awesome car! (p.s. the V is what got me interested in Evo's )
You've gotta get some bigger meat on that thing though! 225's are tiny! I was down in BA back in March. I was looking everywhere for an Autocross or Gymkhanna and couldn't find anything. Peru would've just been a short flight away

285's are your friend!

Old Oct 1, 2011, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the comments Jeremy, from what I´ve read in UK forums, almost nobody goes wider than 245 on the Evo 5/6, it rubs too much otherwise. I would love totry 235 at least, but there is a very limited tire selsction here in Peru

Here´s a vid from last Autox that I didn´t do as well, but you can see and hear the V from the outside, I also lent it to a friend that is winning the category, cause his STi started rod knocking.

http://youtu.be/OMixlGuwzJU

There are maybe 40 wrx/sti´s in Peru for every Evo, so I´m pretty much just competing agains highly modded Sti´s all the time. Your Evo 9 look´s awesome! I think there are only 3 or 4 Evo 9´s in Peru, and all of them are 6 speed.

Cheers,

Ricardo

Last edited by RJSP; Oct 1, 2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Quick Reply: My Evo V RS in Autox