Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

STU Evo X alignment

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STU Evo X alignment

I'm having my coilovers installed & getting corner-weighted this weekend. A friend who has an Evo X he races (same AST 5100 coilovers with Vorshlag camber/ caster plates) uses/ recommended the following alignment settings:

front:
camber -3.0
toe out 1/8 degree

rear:
camber -1.0
toe 0

The aforementioned friend, prior to getting his Evo, raced Corvettes & the like & as such prefers a more rear-biased setup (ex: he likes his rear tire pressure near 50psi hot to induce more slide whereas I prefer around 38-40psi for more neutral).

Basically, STU guys, what are you running for your alignment settings? I want to have a slightly more neutral setup than my friend, so should I just dial back the settings some (& if yes, how much)?

:::edit:::

The car is not a daily driver, so I'm not too worried about tire life.

Last edited by le cow; May 10, 2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:14 AM

PS: I posted the thread in this section as opposed to the suspension forums as I wanted the opinions of the people who primarily race their Evos, versus the hard parkers/ daily drivers.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:11 AM

installation/ alignment has been moved from Saturday to Thursday (tomorrow).

input appreciated
Old May 9, 2012, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure on the X, but I run a similar alignment but -1.5 camber in the rear if memory serves.
Old May 9, 2012, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, and you'd get more response in the Motorsports forum, or in the 2012 STU Discussion even.
Old May 9, 2012, 08:58 PM

Noted. Silly me. Thanks for the input, though. I'll see about getting it moved.

Thanks.
Old May 9, 2012, 09:12 PM

Forgot to add:

The install/ alignment appointment has been pushed back to Saturday again (the shop doing the work is having the concrete in front their alignment bay re-poured & wasn't due to start till tomorrow night but started today).

Another question-- since I'm having the car corner balanced, Im taking fuel into account. What's the lowest fuel I can comfortably run without experiencing starvation & hopefully without tank slapping? My local region usually averages six one minute runs per raceday.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by le cow
I'm having my coilovers installed & getting corner-weighted this weekend. A friend who has an Evo X he races (same AST 5100 coilovers with Vorshlag camber/ caster plates) uses/ recommended the following alignment settings:

front:
camber -3.0
toe out 1/8 degree

rear:
camber -1.0
toe 0

The aforementioned friend, prior to getting his Evo, raced Corvettes & the like & as such prefers a more rear-biased setup (ex: he likes his rear tire pressure near 50psi hot to induce more slide whereas I prefer around 38-40psi for more neutral).

Basically, STU guys, what are you running for your alignment settings? I want to have a slightly more neutral setup than my friend, so should I just dial back the settings some (& if yes, how much)?
(Disclaimer: I don't own an X)

If you want a more neutral setup, I would go -1.5 camber in the rear to balance everything out.

Note that 1/8 toe out will cause faster tire wear. If you're also going to DD this setup, I would recommend 0 toe.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:21 AM

Forgot to add that in the first post-- I'm driving to NC next week for a get together, but otherwise the car stays in the garage 99% of the time. Tire wear isn't too big an issue.

I'll dial in the extra camber in the rear.