Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Dead pedal

Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead pedal

This may seem like a dumb question but I'm trying to get faster by learning more. I was watching YouTube videos of racers heal-toeing and I noticed they all moved their left foot back to the dead peddle almost instantly after shifting, even if another shift was coming up quickly.

I'm guessing since they are pros and they all did it, there must be a reason. I always seem to drive with my left foot covering the clutch but not touching it. Just seems more efficient. I have been trying to break the habit on my daily driving and move it back to the dead peddle but it's a hard habit to break.

I understand using the dead peddle in turns to brace yourself, just can't figure out the logic behind moving it there when you know you are going to have to shift again right away.

Thank you
Old Jun 4, 2014, 07:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Not sure what to say regarding your question as Im sure my footwork is not exemplary

Not the best @ Heel & toe & not sure what Im doing w/my left foot after a clutch shift on the track

Im sure Im using the dead pedal while braking hard as to brace myself

Anyway, was messing around on YT & found this foot box vid

Joe

Old Jun 4, 2014, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe one reason is it's just good habit to help reduce the temptation to ride the clutch in the heat of the moment. Also it's just comfortable, it takes unnecessary effort to hover your foot above the pedal especially if they are bottom pivot like some race cars. Just my evaluation. Maybe Mr Bell will chime in soon.

Cheers,

CB
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh hey guys!

I use the dead pedal even in a left-foot-brake car. It gives me a ton of information and braces me better in the seat. In some cars with molded seats, I naturally tend to keep my foot over the clutch or brake, since I don't feel like I'm in need of more bracing. In cars with a standard universal seat or a street car, I feel really unsupported when I've got my feet dangling in the air for too long.

The harder you press your spine into the car, the more connected you are with it. Any extraneous movement your body has in the seat is extra movement your brain has to filter out to understand what the car is doing. Tight (TIGHT) belts, a tight, fitted seat, and liberal use of the dead pedal are all ways to help.