Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Storing E85 in 55 gallon drums

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Storing E85 in 55 gallon drums

I'd like to be able to store (2) 55 gallon drums at a time in my garage, it should last at least 2 months total. Will it last up to 2-3 months? For me, I'd rather pay for all the equipment to do this at my house than drive 1 hour every week/2weeks to get it.

What material do the drums need to be, Plastic?

I'd like to use a "flame arrestor" to kill any chances of venting ignition in the garage.

I'd get a small dolly to load the drums on, how do you reduce all chances of static ignition, how can you ground a "plastic" container?

Lastly, I'd like to use a pneumatic pump to pump it into my car, will any pump that can be used for fuel/oil work?

I just want to be safe! lol Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 8UpUrV8
I'd like to be able to store (2) 55 gallon drums at a time in my garage, it should last at least 2 months total. Will it last up to 2-3 months? For me, I'd rather pay for all the equipment to do this at my house than drive 1 hour every week/2weeks to get it.

What material do the drums need to be, Plastic?
I've seen old steel and plastic drums used. Search on some other car forums, if you don't find the info you need here.
E85 Mustangs
E85 Corvette racing program
E85 Viper
E85 Saab
E85 Hummer
E85 New Cars
E85 Evos

I'd like to use a "flame arrestor" to kill any chances of venting ignition in the garage.
I don't think this is needed with a plastic drum. Ask the Chicago Fireman; goes by
"cfdfireman1" on EvoM.

I'd get a small dolly to load the drums on, how do you reduce all chances of static ignition, how can you ground a "plastic" container?
No need to ground a plastic drum. Of course, use only plastic fuel cans and funnels, etc. Ethanol is actually pretty non-volatile.

Lastly, I'd like to use a pneumatic pump to pump it into my car, will any pump that can be used for fuel/oil work?
Simply siphon from drum into can and pour into EVO gas tank. Hand powered plastic transfer pump should be sufficient, if needed.

I just want to be safe! lol Thanks in advance.
Actually, E85 is much safer to store than gasoline. That said, however, I would not personally store either in my attached garage. My family and my home are way more important to me than driving a faster EVO.

Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

It will last just fine. Make sure the barrell caps are tight and the gaskets are still good.

This is a thread I started a while back......

Here is what you need to do if you don't have an E85 fuel station close by or you just want to keep some for storage:

Purchase 55 gallon drums. - I got 4 of them.
Any plastic recycler or container company should have these. Mine originally stored methanol which is more corrosive, so I know they will hold up just fine. I got mine for $5 dollars each.

Next, you will need to buy a 5 gallon container.
I paid around $30 dollars for one like this and it came with a hose that screws into the top. Any performance shop should be able to get you one.

You will also need a small hollow pipe.
I bought one from Home Depot for just a couple bucks. I had to grind it down a little bit. Stick it in the other end of the hose and put a clamp on it. It should be the perfect size for your gas tank nozzle.

Don't forget some king of pump (I use an old vacuum).

Last, some good ol' E85.

I usually rent a Uhaul trailor and drive about 90 miles to fill up. Takes about 1 1/2 hours to get 220 gallons. Bring it back and unload it. One guy can move one full drum at a time to a convenient spot in your garage. It is nice to have two people though.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the help so far!

How do you deal with any fuel pressure built up in the drums? I plan to keep it in the garage so I need to figure that out.

Would this metal barrel pump work for drum to car? It's rated for any non-corrosive fuel/oil. I would just have to make sure I don't overflow the gas tank.

EDIT: This is probably a bad idea, I just remembered E85 doesn't like air, so I'll try to keep it out lol.
Name:  937551.gif
Views: 0
Size:  7.9 KB

Last edited by 8UpUrV8; Oct 21, 2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure if that'd work or not. I use a cheap one that works fine. I wouldn't worry about pressure build up. I get some hissing when the barrell has sat for a while, but nothing big. The plastic allows the container to flex during temperature changes.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2theMAX
I get some hissing when the barrell has sat for a while, but nothing big. The plastic allows the container to flex during temperature changes.
That hissing is a vapor release, and since I have a water heater ~30 feet away I want to make 100% sure it will not ignite.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 08:43 AM

This is interesting I might try this out. I have over 100 55 gallon drums at my land. Some are new some are used. Looks like I will be bringing one home to try this out.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the help so far!

How do you deal with any fuel pressure built up in the drums? I plan to keep it in the garage so I need to figure that out.

Would this metal barrel pump work for drum to car? It's rated for any non-corrosive fuel/oil. I would just have to make sure I don't overflow the gas tank.

EDIT: This is probably a bad idea, I just remembered E85 doesn't like air, so I'll try to keep it out lol.
Ethanol is corrosive so...... maybe not a good idea
Old Nov 1, 2008, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

make sure whatever pump you use will not corrode or get eatin away
Old Nov 1, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Ethanol isn't very corrosive... Methanol is.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=8UpUrV8;6301651]Ethanol isn't very corrosive... Methanol is.[/QUOTE

Ethanol is corrosive never the less

I personally would avoid the use of metal pump if at all possible

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/971648
Old Nov 3, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Heck, if you got the money, look at some of the drum pumps that are electric(poly ones of course). They are usually in two pieces: the motor, and the impeller/neck. Some flow a lot and others not a lot. I use them to pump complete drums quickly, so you wouldn't want a fast one. The nice thing about them(and can be bad too i guess if you aren't paying attention) is you can fire it up for a second, and then turn it off and it will start a siphon if you want it to go slowly. I haven't looked into into the hand ones. They would be great because they are cheap and I think some you can just use to start a siphon.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

i can share some stuff here since I deal with chemical metering systems at work...

1. Would not recommend using an electric device unless it is classified for and enviroment that vapors may be present, since there is the chance that you will have vapors. So basically anything with a motor that has an exposed spark is out.

2. Stainless steel hand pumps as shown should be ok. We use 304/316 stainless piping for methanol/ethanol service quite often. You do have to watch on seal materials. For instance methanol will permeate teflon depending on thickness.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xsolowx
i can share some stuff here since I deal with chemical metering systems at work...

1. Would not recommend using an electric device unless it is classified for and enviroment that vapors may be present, since there is the chance that you will have vapors. So basically anything with a motor that has an exposed spark is out.

2. Stainless steel hand pumps as shown should be ok. We use 304/316 stainless piping for methanol/ethanol service quite often. You do have to watch on seal materials. For instance methanol will permeate teflon depending on thickness.
All the drum pumps I have are explosion proof that are certified for hazardous atmospheres. Not cheap at all and I wouldn't recommend getting one just to pump e85 here and there.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

I want to do this also..Been checking into it..This helps alot..Thanks..Justin

Quick Reply: Storing E85 in 55 gallon drums