Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Those with a GM flex fuel sensor and AN hose?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those with a GM flex fuel sensor and AN hose?

I am looking for a better solution than just using some fuel injection clamps to hold on my 6AN hose to the flex fuel sensor. Anyone who has some pictures to show how they have made a solid connection to this sensor would be great. I have it in my return line. I am looking for a GM quick connect fitting to a 6AN hose adapter.

The closest thing I can find that may work is this adapter:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-15117/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-15118/

Although the flex fuel sensor has 2 different OD dimensions to make this even more complicated so I imagine the above fitting would only work for 1 of the 2 lines. The other option would be to go from AN to a rubber line then rubber line back to AN - although this is way too many fittings!

Last edited by MitsuJoe; Dec 22, 2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

what you probably want is a "hard line to AN fitting adapter" they come in various sizes for -6, -8 etc. the come in both male and female ends to fit whatever you need.

I've never seen Summitt carry them (I have no idea why) but Jegs has them.

here's an example:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/63...0002/-1?CT=999

They have a brass crush coupling that seals the fitting to the hardline and then you can use standard AN stuff.

Last edited by evodood; Dec 21, 2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:09 PM
Former Sponsor

That looks like a thought. See my pictures and tell me what you think.

Any other help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Those with a GM flex fuel sensor and AN hose?-flex.jpg   Those with a GM flex fuel sensor and AN hose?-flex-fuel-sensor.gif  
Old Dec 22, 2010, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think your connections look pretty good. What exactly is your concern with the existing connections? Too much pressure? Too much flow rate? Volume? Appearance?

The only improvement I could see might be to alternate the clamps, but I can't tell if there is enough space.

I do agree a direct connect solution would be preferable; however, I've not seen a GM to AN connector.

Old Dec 22, 2010, 07:59 AM
Former Sponsor

I am concerned with the smaller tube that the 6AN hose is too loose. I would like something where either more of the hose is clamped on or just a better clamping solution. I am aware that if I want to do anything besides clamping on the hose will require modification to the sensor. I just really want to see what others have done.

Zeitronix has no real ideas either and suggested that I slide the AN hose over the flanges which I don't know what kind of AN hose they have used but that would be pretty much impossible.

The small tube is 5/16" hose and the large tube would be 3/8" hose. The large tube being pretty much equal to 6AN I could potentially leave that alone. I think I would feel better getting an 6AN adapter to a 5/16" barb and using a small section of rubber hose to make a better connection than the fuel injection clamps on the AN hose. Using an adapter like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-15635/?rtype=10

To go from the 6AN to the 3/8" if so desired this fitting looks golden too:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-98204/

Last edited by MitsuJoe; Dec 22, 2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

i don't think the pressure in the return lines are high enough to justify AN fittings.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by skiracer
i don't think the pressure in the return lines are high enough to justify AN fittings.
While I agree with that putting a clamp on a rubber hose versus a steel AN hose yields much different results. I am concerned about them getting loose and/or coming apart.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJoe
While I agree with that putting a clamp on a rubber hose versus a steel AN hose yields much different results. I am concerned about them getting loose and/or coming apart.
I recently removed my Zeitronix ECA since i sold my car. I used methanol resistant fuel injection hose from NAPA Autoparts and regular clamps to hold them on. I coudln't get the hoses off of the ethanol sensor and just ended cutting them off. So, i'd say they were on pretty secure.

Tink about this, the return fuel line on your fuel rail also uses a regular clamp as well. That line will have the same pressure wherever you install the sensor in the return line system....

if you're using the high pressure lines, that's a totally different story....

Last edited by skiracer; Dec 22, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Nope this is in the return line. Like I said I don't object to using a clamp on a rubber line, although using a clamp on the stainless steel AN hose does leave a bit to be desired for ultimate clamping force.

Last edited by MitsuJoe; Dec 22, 2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Ah, didn't know you were planning to use steel fuel lines...
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

In case you wanted to use a rubber line that can be used with 100% methanol. I figure these lines would work since 100% methanol is a lot more corrosive compared to ethanol. I forget which sizes i used, but its one of these 3.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Res...word&Nty=1&N=0

Recommended for clamped hose applications on all fuel systems, including fuel
injection systems. Not designed to be coupled on fuel injection hose assemblies.
Fluoroelastomer liner resists permeation and alcohols, Hypalon* backing combats
heat, polyester braid reinforcement increases strength and Hypalon cover fights
heat up to +300°F (+150°C), ozone and abrasion. Meets SAE 30R9 requirements.
Approved for gasoline, alcohol blends and diesel fuel. Resists “sour gas”
(hydroperoxides) produced in some recirculating fuel systems. Can be used
with 100% methanol.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

the factory hardline has the same tube ends as that sensor and I used a hard line adapter from XRP (areomotive) similar what posted above from a local shop and it works fine. I didn't need to cut the tube to remove the "flanged" ends or anything.

Just slip on fitting base, slip on brass ferrul, slip on AN end, screw together and presto AN fitting.

Also. as already noted, the return line has no real pressure other than the resistance from pumping the fuel back to the tank. So if you wanted to leave clamps I'd think you should be fine.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Joe how goes it

I've used some Jegs pieces, and Aeroquip. Those are the "quick fuel" GM fittings and then some AN reducers, findally 90 degree AN fittings to the nylon braided line they have...

Name:  IM000352.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  IM000350.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  106.2 KB

I'll try to dig up the parts list, the only issue of course was trying to get it all fitting right where I wanted it, before actually having the parts in my hands.. fitting this required slight bending of the dipstick tube and making a small extention for the bracket (connecting to the alternator) to hold it in the new location. Let me think this over and see if there's a way to get a different part which you wouldn't need to do that....
Old Dec 23, 2010, 06:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Thank's Greg. I have those posted in my first thread although now that you confirm that they works I feel confident in getting them for my setup. They ar epricey but I haven't really spared any expense at this point in time anyways!

For the 3/8" one are you just using a 8AN to 6AN converter? As you can see I have mine mounted on the driver side frame rail. I don't have the clearance you do as I have the F1-i IM.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuJoe
Thank's Greg. I have those posted in my first thread although now that you confirm that they works I feel confident in getting them for my setup. They ar epricey but I haven't really spared any expense at this point in time anyways!

For the 3/8" one are you just using a 8AN to 6AN converter? As you can see I have mine mounted on the driver side frame rail. I don't have the clearance you do as I have the F1-i IM.
Yep the big side has a reducer on it, in my case before the 90 so that I could use a 90 to hose fitting for both sides, I could have done the 90 first then reduced it but then I would have needed a piece to reduce and connect the hose to.

I didn't have any luck finding my invoice from when I did this, but I did source out everything from Jeg's and the AN fittings are their house brand along with the hose.

The main reducer for the large side is a -8an to -6an "flare union reducer", from there I suppose it will depend on the clearance and also what size fuel line you're running, mine was small to work with the stock fuel return and regulator

Quick Reply: Those with a GM flex fuel sensor and AN hose?