Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Pros and Cons of going E85

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I just looked at this jokers post history and he is just bumping threads to get post count. I reported him to the mods.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:27 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
It bugs me when people spread info/rumors as FACT without fact CHECKING. It's irresponsible, IMO.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 07:30 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I liked seeing AMS say 'hydroscopic' instead of 'hygroscopic'

I'll be switching after winter. My tuner informed me that they drop down to E70 in the off season. I'll pass.. can't wait tho!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Flex Fuel has shown no cons whatsoever for me thus far. Except for the closest station 25 to 45 min away depending on the time of day you'd try to drive there (high traffic area)

Wish I could have ran it since it's inception in our community.

Now I want to go to E-30/E-40 on my DD GDI-T vehicle. Tuning advancements will be there soon.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 08:57 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Flex Fuel has shown no cons whatsoever for me thus far..
Not even a little fear of blowing up the engine?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I just looked at this jokers post history and he is just bumping threads to get post count. I reported him to the mods.
Lol he even thanks himself in his own posts.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Not even a little fear of blowing up the engine?
Nah, Hell it's lasted this long and she's been though down times before, 2 year stint for a snapped lower ball joint and ~8k in damage said and done (nothing structural) with a couple upgraded bits along the way (Was in a different point in life then more worried about what bar we were going to next, So "overnighting parts from Japan" or dropping the car off and taking out the check book wasn't an option) Sober now!!

Tune/TQ is conservative enough right now to keep the stock rods happy. Built 2.3 getting built to go in next spring/summer then the wick will go up way up. The turbo may actually come down though a step or two well as I want to get into more track day fun with the car

Its at about 30-32lbs now with anything above E-75 from there down tune will adjust timing, boost, scaling etc... dependent on E content. Really nice set up. I wish I could have done it 13yrs ago lol

I have to say the car on Flex Fuel/SD drives better than it ever did. No aspect of the car whatsoever was better before the switch to SD and the Flex Fuel set up. With Higher E content the better and better the on and off boost responsiveness gets. It's crazy. I love this car like I bought it all over again and trust me said and done I probably did HAHA
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:17 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Nah, Hell it's lasted this long and she's been though down times before, 2 year stint for a snapped lower ball joint and ~8k in damage said and done (nothing structural) with a couple upgraded bits along the way (Was in a different point in life then more worried about what bar we were going to next, So "overnighting parts from Japan" or dropping the car off and taking out the check book wasn't an option) Sober now!!

Tune/TQ is conservative enough right now to keep the stock rods happy. Built 2.3 getting built to go in next spring/summer then the wick will go up way up. The turbo may actually come down though a step or two well as I want to get into more track day fun with the car

Its at about 30-32lbs now with anything above E-75 from there down tune will adjust timing, boost, scaling etc... dependent on E content. Really nice set up. I wish I could have done it 13yrs ago lol

I have to say the car on Flex Fuel/SD drives better than it ever did. No aspect of the car whatsoever was better before the switch to SD and the Flex Fuel set up. With Higher E content the better and better the on and off boost responsiveness gets. It's crazy. I love this car like I bought it all over again and trust me said and done I probably did HAHA

I hear that! LOL
I just meant in terms of the gunk build up. There's a huge thread about it and it's now happened to two people I know (went lean, engine go boom). I use it for events, but run pump in between to keep injectors clean. I don't need all that extra power to drive to meets anyway. I keep telling myself LOL

Last edited by kaj; Nov 3, 2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:29 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
i feel for the people experiencing gunk problems, but there are many ways to avoid blowing up your engine. Tephramod has an afr safety feature that will cut boost and flash cel if your afr goes out of a definable range. You can install a wideband to make sure your afr is safe, and you can watch your 02 trims to make sure they aren't doing something weird.

I don't know if it has been mentioned but running E-85 supports American jobs and American industry. It might not be as energy efficient as just pumping fluid out of the ground, but its renewable and keeps money and jobs in the US.
The following users liked this post:
lancerrally45 (Nov 3, 2016)
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Not really worried about the Build up as much. Closest E-85 station is 25-45 min away traffic dependent so I do not run it all the time. Car sees plenty of tanks of 93oct and unless I pull up to the station on empty this time of year I'm around E-65 with a fill up from 1/4 tank of 93oct

The pumps scream way too loud for my liking under 1/4 tank of gas.

My Flex Fuel system also has built in failsafes, but things happen. We'll see I guess
Old Nov 3, 2016, 07:15 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
i feel for the people experiencing gunk problems, but there are many ways to avoid blowing up your engine. Tephramod has an afr safety feature that will cut boost and flash cel if your afr goes out of a definable range. You can install a wideband to make sure your afr is safe, and you can watch your 02 trims to make sure they aren't doing something weird.

I don't know if it has been mentioned but running E-85 supports American jobs and American industry. It might not be as energy efficient as just pumping fluid out of the ground, but its renewable and keeps money and jobs in the US.
One person had it happen back before word really got out. The other was part of the, "I've been running it for two years without a problem" camp. He thinks differently now LOL. Such a bummer for both of them, though.
Neither of them had time to watch their AFRs while driving. They were focused on the road. During my track days, I check them on long straights....that's not good enough, IMO. I'll look into the AFR boost cut. Not sure if I have that, yet.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been running E85 for a few months now and no problems after upgrading fuel system and proper tune!
Old Dec 19, 2016, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Subscribed !!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E85 > everything else
Old Apr 4, 2018, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Finally read this a year after using E85. Lol
good info