Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Fuel pump testing - see results inside

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 09:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by brett@evogb
How do people rate the magnafuel mp 4303 ???
Rated at 2000+ HP http://www.magnafuel.com/catalog.pdf
Old Jun 5, 2016, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm looking to run a larger pump for my EVO IX, I currently have a 255LPH pump for my Red but want added insurance If I go with the 340 LPH or 400LPH, will my OEM FPR get over run and mess with the tuning and driveability?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 06:00 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Has 3gevo seen this thread? LOL
Old Jun 6, 2016, 03:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
I'm looking to run a larger pump for my EVO IX, I currently have a 255LPH pump for my Red but want added insurance If I go with the 340 LPH or 400LPH, will my OEM FPR get over run and mess with the tuning and driveability?
Well once all said and done to make the walbro 400+ decent it cost the same as the double pumpers.

We just started selling our own double pumpers for $500 and its a direct drop in and all other stuff can stay the same (stock lines, regulator, etc).

http://www.tscomptuned.net/fuel-system.html

That said:

Walbro 400+ does work, but they dont flow really well until you mod your housing and cut the filter out of it. Bypassing the filter, just like you do the double pumper.

You also have to cut the nozzle of the walbro 400~ shorter or the pumps bottom out the sock on the tank floor.

Then in order for it to flow decent, you need to rewire it. After its rewired you overrun the stock FPR. Then you need to purchase an aftermarket regulator.

The single route is not the way to go if you're eventually going to want more then say 650WHP on e85 & thats rewired numbers.

A 340lph pump is going to perform similar to a walbro 255 modified. You'll be maxed out around 460-470whp dynojet on E85.

The best fuel system for the evo is the double pump route since you can keep everything the same and it is direct drop in. The pressure switches we use are responsible for turning on/off solenoids on air planes also, so they wont fail.

I know that's a concern to a lot of people.

Originally Posted by kaj
Has 3gevo seen this thread? LOL
He's actually my customer, I tune him, and he knows not to say what he said in the forum anymore, because I educated him on how wrong he was. Aside from the fuel pump stuff, hes pretty smart with cars.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
The single route is not the way to go if you're eventually going to want more then say 650WHP on e85 & thats rewired numbers.

A 340lph pump is going to perform similar to a walbro 255 modified. You'll be maxed out around 460-470whp dynojet on E85.

The best fuel system for the evo is the double pump route since you can keep everything the same and it is direct drop in. The pressure switches we use are responsible for turning on/off solenoids on air planes also, so they wont fail.

He's actually my customer, I tune him, and he knows not to say what he said in the forum anymore, because I educated him on how wrong he was. Aside from the fuel pump stuff, hes pretty smart with cars.
A couple of things if I may.

I made 460WHP on a dyno Jet with Pump gas 93 Octane back in 2011 on Ivey’s Dyno Jet. Basic Bolt-On’s and GSC S1 cams, I had a JB Red at the time. I was also using a 255LPH Fuel pump with no fueling issues.

I’ve since added the following.
Built 2.0
S2 cams
AMS VSR Intake Manifold
Installed a BB FP Red Turbo
I’m looking for 500WHP Pump.

Wouldn’t a simple 340LPH flow enough?

I don’t get the 470WHP Dynojet number on E85, that isn’t a lot when it can be made with pump gas.

I’m looking for a simple setup that works as stock in terms of fuel pressure.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:08 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Well once all said and done to make the walbro 400+ decent it cost the same as the double pumpers.

We just started selling our own double pumpers for $500 and its a direct drop in and all other stuff can stay the same (stock lines, regulator, etc).

That said:

Walbro 400+ does work, but they dont flow really well until you mod your housing and cut the filter out of it. Bypassing the filter, just like you do the double pumper.

You also have to cut the nozzle of the walbro 400~ shorter or the pumps bottom out the sock on the tank floor.

Then in order for it to flow decent, you need to rewire it. After its rewired you overrun the stock FPR. Then you need to purchase an aftermarket regulator.

I can confirm:

I ran out of fuel right at 460whp, on the nose, with a 255. Bummer because my turbo would like to do more.
And thanks for setting that dude straight. I had to add him to my ignore list. He just didn't want to listen to anyone else and got kinda violent about it. I guess now I know why he hasn't been trolling my threads. He did seem to be pretty knowledgeable otherwise, though. I can agree with that. But a jerk.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

A couple of things if I may.

I made 460WHP on a dyno Jet with Pump gas 93 Octane back in 2011 on Ivey’s Dyno Jet. Basic Bolt-On’s and GSC S1 cams, I had a JB Red at the time. I was also using a 255LPH Fuel pump with no fueling issues.

I’ve since added the following.
Built 2.0
S2 cams
AMS VSR Intake Manifold
Installed a BB FP Red Turbo
I’m looking for 500WHP Pump.

Wouldn’t a simple 340LPH flow enough?

I don’t get the 470WHP Dynojet number on E85, that isn’t a lot when it can be made with pump gas.

I’m looking for a simple setup that works as stock in terms of fuel pressure.
470WHP E85 dynojet would mean you are good for around 611WHP on 93 octane. Give or take 590whp or so because most 93oct have 10% ethanol in them now.

If you're staying on 93oct, then just modify a Walbro 255 and be done with it! Will a 340 do the same thing? yes it will.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kaj
I can confirm:

I ran out of fuel right at 460whp, on the nose, with a 255. Bummer because my turbo would like to do more.
And thanks for setting that dude straight. I had to add him to my ignore list. He just didn't want to listen to anyone else and got kinda violent about it. I guess now I know why he hasn't been trolling my threads. He did seem to be pretty knowledgeable otherwise, though. I can agree with that. But a jerk.
NP. Ya I don't know what made him think what he did, but he knows now he was wrong. Ya he is basically a mechanic. He converted that 3G eclipse himself to have a full Evo drivetrain and engine.

Ya right around 460whp on VD usually the single walbro is done. If you have FIC 2150cc or big injectors in general you can squeeze a little more out.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

470WHP E85 dynojet would mean you are good for around 611WHP on 93 octane. Give or take 590whp or so because most 93oct have 10% ethanol in them now.

If you're staying on 93oct, then just modify a Walbro 255 and be done with it! Will a 340 do the same thing? yes it will.
Which 340 should I use? My fpr will get messed up? Too much fuel pressure?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Which 340 should I use? My fpr will get messed up? Too much fuel pressure?
Stick with stock OEM FPR and Just a modified walbro 255 and you will be happy and have plenty of fuel.

Look at the chart I shared. The modded 255 flows really well.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm liking your double pumper
Old Jul 28, 2016, 08:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks Oz. Yes we make our own double pumper now if anyone's interested. We mainly only did it for cars at the shop in person, but I've been selling a lot to normal customers I tune.

We have sold a little over a dozen now. Some pictures below:

If anyone's interested, its $500 with your core, or $600 without your core.

Old Jul 28, 2016, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Looks like a really nice kit Tom!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 06:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Looks like a really nice kit Tom!
Thank you!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Thanks Oz. Yes we make our own double pumper now if anyone's interested. We mainly only did it for cars at the shop in person, but I've been selling a lot to normal customers I tune.

We have sold a little over a dozen now. Some pictures below:

If anyone's interested, its $500 with your core, or $600 without your core.
Tom,

I like the fact that you take everything into consideration when developing your own parts. The pressure (hobbs) switches in double pumper systems have always been a concern in our community. Although they rarely fail, it's nice to see you taking that extra step to ensure yours is a quality unit. Worth the piece of mind in my book.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump testing - see results inside