Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

US Govt possibly restarting an ethanol agenda

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E85

I have read all the comments on this thread. Mostly very good. I would like to run E85 as it is 105 octane. In the early years of gas engines the best thing to control knock was ethanol. Deemed to be too expensive at the time. So lead was used to stop knock. Very bad indeed! Now we have ethanol fuels. Not the cure all for our engines but a nice alternative to premium gasoline. My only problem is that the closest station with E85 is over 20 miles from where I live. The next closest is just over 50 miles from me. I would have to spend a fair amount of money to make my car a Flex fuel vehicle. So until E85 is a little more available I cannot justify the expense to do it at this time. Don't get me wrong, I will use E85 someday soon.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nesraguy
I have read all the comments on this thread. Mostly very good. I would like to run E85 as it is 105 octane. In the early years of gas engines the best thing to control knock was ethanol. Deemed to be too expensive at the time. So lead was used to stop knock. Very bad indeed! Now we have ethanol fuels. Not the cure all for our engines but a nice alternative to premium gasoline. My only problem is that the closest station with E85 is over 20 miles from where I live. The next closest is just over 50 miles from me. I would have to spend a fair amount of money to make my car a Flex fuel vehicle. So until E85 is a little more available I cannot justify the expense to do it at this time. Don't get me wrong, I will use E85 someday soon.
Its an awesome fuel and yes hard to come by unless you have dual map tune, but I only wanted the evo to run on e85 only just have to plan my routes sometimes but it always works out
Old Jan 31, 2015, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Do flexfuel the right way, by keeping the gas aspect of it and using the ethanol set of injectors on a second pump/tank system that only comes on with higher boost.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimgrak
Do flexfuel the right way, by keeping the gas aspect of it and using the ethanol set of injectors on a second pump/tank system that only comes on with higher boost.
Doing it right means:

Replacing the stock injectors with properly sized ones for E85
Installing an ethanol sensor
Getting an ECU that handles "FlexFuel" (EMS V2 for example)
Tuning for 91/93 and E85 and letting the computer do the fuel extrapolation based on ethanol content

Might also consider going speed density at this point as well.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
While your at it, move to a town with more e85 availability or did you not even read the OP's question.
Originally Posted by M4Lki3r
Doing it right means:

Replacing the stock injectors with properly sized ones for E85
Installing an ethanol sensor
Getting an ECU that handles "FlexFuel" (EMS V2 for example)
Tuning for 91/93 and E85 and letting the computer do the fuel extrapolation based on ethanol content

Might also consider going speed density at this point as well.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimgrak
While your at it, move to a town with more e85 availability or did you not even read the OP's question.
You mean the OP from 2013 or 2015?

Either way, it is still cheaper to run it the way I posted with only one fuel system (4 injectors, 1 pump, 1 tank, 1 ecu) instead of 2 separate fuel systems (8 injectors, 2 pumps, 2 tanks, 1 ecu, etc)