Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

E85 Shelf Life

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
E85 Shelf Life

I have not started my Evo since Buschurs Shootout in Aug. Spring is finally here and the roads are clean from the recent rains. So I decided to fire up the Evo. The fuel in it is from the beginning of August 2013 and the tank was three quarters full. I decided to drain it and install some fresh E85 from Mollies in Manheim Pa.

Below is two pictures of the old and new E85. The new has a black rubber cap in it.
I use 1.5 oz's of Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers per gallon.
As can be seen here, the nine month fuel has a different color then the fresh fuel.

There was no visible rust, water etc. in the old fuel. It smelled the same, but I am glad I drained it and replaced it with fresh E85.

The vehicle is kept in a climate controlled building with low humidity. The old fuel may have worked just fine

Last edited by Roadrunr; Apr 24, 2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow what a change
Old Apr 25, 2014, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Did both fuels come from the same station?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckleford
Did both fuels come from the same station?
Yes, but nine months apart. The fuel was clear when it was fresh. The color change may not effect the volatility of the fuel

I will not let E85 in my tank more then six months after seeing this color change.

Last edited by Roadrunr; Apr 25, 2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats why I atleast drive the car once a week and never let it sit too long.
Old May 1, 2014, 09:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A friend of mine blew a head gasket and ended up letting the car sit for over a year with almost a full tank of e85. Once fixed it ran and drove seemingly fine. I was surprised.
Old May 7, 2014, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the color change is only because oxygen is releasing.. natural and un-harmful.

Unlike gasoline the chemical structure of e-85 is much more resilient
Old May 11, 2014, 06:20 AM

Wow this is crazy hmm makes me want to store mine with an empty tank this coming winter
Old May 13, 2014, 08:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
no reason for ethanol to decompose or oxidize at room temperature. i bet the yellowing is due to the gasoline or perhaps one of the fuel additives. most important thing is too keep it sealed from the environment to prevent water absorption. this can cause the ethanol to separate from the gasoline. was there any sign of fuel separation or stratification?
Old May 14, 2014, 07:04 AM

ive heard that about e85 not being good after max 6 months
Old May 14, 2014, 08:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by dsmchick99
ive heard that about e85 not being good after max 6 months
This is the classic selfperpetuating myth. I heard from Joe who heard from Jeff that E85 turns to poop after seven days. People need to do some reading, but to give you a break, its hard to find accurate information. A quick search on Google brings up several forum discussions where people continually perpetuate the myth of E85 has having at best, a 90 day shelf life.

Ethanol is in fact more stable than gasoline when stored properly. At typical storage temperatures, it neither oxidizes nor decomposes while gasoline will readily oxidize. The reason the OP's fuel changed color was because of the gasoline and not the ethanol. The only unique issue to ethanol is that it will absorb water from the air. This can cause two issues. First is that during low temperature combustion (i.e., when a motor is cold), the water and ethanol produce an acid that can potentially do some damage. The other issue is that when enough water is absorbe into E85, the ethanol will stratify at the bottom of the container. However, for E85, the amount of water that needs to be absorbed for these things to happen is quite substantial - about 1/2 to 2/3 of a cup of water per gallon of E85. They key to storing E85 (and gasoline) is to put it in a fully sealed, dark colored container. Its better for the gasoline if the drum is completely filled so there is less oxygen to react with the gasoline. Under these conditions, E85 will have a shelf life that is better than gasoline. Should be no problem to keep it for 1 year, and there are several reports of people having successfully used E85 after storing it properly for 1 year.

If you all want to do some reading, here is a useful article:

http://ethanolrfa.3cdn.net/dd9e74ce1..._rbm6bdgh3.pdf
Old May 15, 2014, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by mrfred
This is the classic selfperpetuating myth. I heard from Joe who heard from Jeff that E85 turns to poop after seven days. People need to do some reading, but to give you a break, its hard to find accurate information. A quick search on Google brings up several forum discussions where people continually perpetuate the myth of E85 has having at best, a 90 day shelf life.

Ethanol is in fact more stable than gasoline when stored properly. At typical storage temperatures, it neither oxidizes nor decomposes while gasoline will readily oxidize. The reason the OP's fuel changed color was because of the gasoline and not the ethanol. The only unique issue to ethanol is that it will absorb water from the air. This can cause two issues. First is that during low temperature combustion (i.e., when a motor is cold), the water and ethanol produce an acid that can potentially do some damage. The other issue is that when enough water is absorbe into E85, the ethanol will stratify at the bottom of the container. However, for E85, the amount of water that needs to be absorbed for these things to happen is quite substantial - about 1/2 to 2/3 of a cup of water per gallon of E85. They key to storing E85 (and gasoline) is to put it in a fully sealed, dark colored container. Its better for the gasoline if the drum is completely filled so there is less oxygen to react with the gasoline. Under these conditions, E85 will have a shelf life that is better than gasoline. Should be no problem to keep it for 1 year, and there are several reports of people having successfully used E85 after storing it properly for 1 year.

If you all want to do some reading, here is a useful article:

http://ethanolrfa.3cdn.net/dd9e74ce1..._rbm6bdgh3.pdf
thanks for the knowledge!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:09 AM

Always was curious about this, thanks for the info.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for that info mrfred!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:13 AM

Great info thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: E85 Shelf Life