Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Tuning help for E85 FP Black 2.3 stroker

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 02:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Heres some pictures for you guys I pulled off my phone. Whats a thread like this without pictures.

Wait till you see the shift knob this car came to me with haha. Rich's brother was working on the car, so he did it for a prank on him, but it turned into a prank on me haha.

Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Idle surge and rpm hang points to massive boost/vac leaks, which I can see the car has plenty of those in the pics...
Old Jul 14, 2015, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so, was the fuel pressure at a steady ratio increase with boost?, I would also check alt voltage and fuel pump hoses out of the br double pumper.. e85 heat and rubber hoses tend to be an issue
Old Jul 15, 2015, 01:17 PM
EvoM Guru

The evo fuel system has no issues with E85..
Old Jul 20, 2015, 01:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The evo fuel system has no issues with E85..
100% correct! Evo's love E85! The Stock lines & filtering system works great With E85.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 02:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Ok so Sunday I fixed a very large boost leak, (throttle body shaft seals), and the high RPM persisted but improved 80%. I read the rom off the ECU and noticed a few things I knew were off. One was latency, and the other was VE at idle.

After adjusting these, car idles beautifully at idle and cruises and drives around great. The driveability on the 1650cc high-z are as good as the 2150cc. Awesome injectors, and I will recommend them to anyone that wants to be able to run whatever fuel they want and also not have to worry about the insides rusting, because its all stainless internals. Same injectors I run on my GT-R and really like them a lot.

I have not tried to boost the car yet. We have some issues to resolve yet. One is the front bumper sounds like its trying to vibrate itself off the car (not an exageration). The other is, I am going to replace all the cheap clamps on the lower piping with Tbolts I purchased.

I will then clean the engine bay up, zip tie everything thats not zip tied, and replace all the vac caps and so forth with much stronger material from mcmaster-carr.

For now here is some pictures I took while working on the car:

Also I think I saved this car from a possible 2nd catastrophe. The throttle body screws that hold the throttle plate / butterfly on were loose finger tight. The one was backing itself out already. We put red loctite on to make sure that wont ever occur again.

Heres a video of after the quick tuning adjustment & new shaft seals installed. Next I will install the tbolts and do some other misc things mentioned above, then pad everything that can vibrate to eliminate any possibility for false knock to occur during the tuning session, and in general to make the car more pleasing in general to drive around.

(Noise was the front bumper mesh not flywheel).

Last edited by tscompusa; Jul 20, 2015 at 02:23 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:27 AM

I am definitely impressed. Thanks for your help.
The car has been having this idling issue for ages.... Mark at turbo trix thought it was the iacv that needed to be replaced but I never bought it because I wasn't sure about that.

He ended up letting the car run pig rich at idle to keep it from stalling out.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 04:04 AM
Former Sponsor

No problem at all. Glad we have the car so we can work out every last bug before tuning.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rrace002
I am definitely impressed. Thanks for your help.
The car has been having this idling issue for ages.... Mark at turbo trix thought it was the iacv that needed to be replaced but I never bought it because I wasn't sure about that.

He ended up letting the car run pig rich at idle to keep it from stalling out.
When Tom is all done you should go back to the "other" tuner and tell him a screw was loose and its running better then stock now and how can this be.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 07:56 PM

LOL.

I will think about taking it back to turbo trix and telling him that we fixed the issue and it was actually the throttle body. Although the injector swap to the FIC's could have also helped the idle and road driving capabilities as Tom has pointed out.

In the end I want to keep peace with the other tuner(s)....
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:15 PM
Former Sponsor

some more pics and progress. I put a new stock regulator on and it helped, but the issue is still there. we pulled the injectors tonight and they are gunked up. Hopefully this is the problem and i can tune it and Rich can get his car back running healthy.

Also put some pics of things I don't approve of. (using lugnuts for motor mount nuts & power steering LOL).

Fixed kink in fuel line also. Pics attached on misc stuff. One of the injector seals was leaking during a boost leak test as well.

Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Lug nuts!~ wow... well you sure have your work cut out on finding all the issues of why something isn't running correctly, and when your done there will be another happy customer scratching his head wondering why he didn't reach out to you sooner.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I gotta say is wow
#GhettoRig !!!!

Can't wait to see this car turn back into a swan!
Suuuubscccrrriiibbbeeddd
Old Aug 5, 2015, 09:32 AM

Stm said there were a few lugnuts on there. Not sure who put those on there, either mark at turbo trix or kp tuning also worked on that car.

The one lug nut on the power steering pump isn't leaking any fluid. The other one seems to hold up better than you would think. The thread is apparently the right size.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

You should change them. Lug nuts don't have the correct seat surface for that application. They're meant for a conical seat..

Quick Reply: Tuning help for E85 FP Black 2.3 stroker