Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Thinking about going to E85

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about going to E85

Hey everyone, got a couple of questions for you! So I've recently been considering getting my car tuned for E85 for a couple of reasons. 1. Obviously because you make more power and 2. because I'll be moving car from the east coast to the west. Right now my car is fairly stock but with a couple of bolt ons. Hks 272 cams, 890cc injectors and an evo 9 turbo(all told from a previous owner). It also has an upgraded intercooler what size and brand are unknown at least to my knowledge. Along with I presume a turbo back exhaust(stock manifold). The car is currently tuned on 93 octane.
So as far as my questions are concerned, I posted a facebook page not too long ago and people were saying to get a flexfuel kit which sounds awesome and honestly more than likely the way route I will choose. Which is where my question comes into play. Does anyone have any recommendations on flexfuel kits or has anyone had any experiences with them? Next question is, I've been told if I do want to go in the direction of E85 I would have to get some upgraded/bigger items. Those items being injectors and fuel pump at minimum. I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to car stuff, I know the basics and that's about it. So I'm not for sure if I'm still on the stock fuel rail or not, I'm going to assume that I am. With those parts I mentioned, I was told ID1000cc injectors and a walbro 450 fuel pump. Question being will those larger injectors fit on the stock fuel rail or would I have to purchase an upgraded fuel rail as well? And last but not least, is there anything else that I should be on the look out for when it comes to this sort of build/setup? Thank you for any kind of response!
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Heres a basic recipe needed to run E85

Open intake (AEM or similar). You can stay w/the stock box & a high flow filer
1000cc inj or larger (You can run your 890's & that will work) (fuel rail stays the same)
3 port boost solenoid or manual boost controller
Full open 3" exhaust / no CAT
Dual Tephra map
255 Walbro (you wont need a 450 just yet )
Add E85
Tune to 27 psi or lower depending on the WHP goal / tuners suggestions

There have been some guys to run a true Flex kit but I like to keep things simple & I dont DD my EVO. Been on California E85 for 8 years

Heres a EVO flex link:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...u-evo-8-a.html

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Aug 15, 2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Pretty much the same as above but I'd go with precision 1200cc injectors, walbro 255, and 29-30psi.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 02:22 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I would do a little research ahead of time and make sure you will have E85 stations close enough to you that you will actually use it. The most common way to run E85 is with a dual map tune that you switch back and forth from. I have seen a flexfuel implementation, but i know very little about how it works and i believe there are only a couple shops that can actually install and tune it. So to clarify traditionally you would have a switch that you would flip when going from gasoline to E85 to switch between the different maps. Also I would recommend going with the three port boost controller if you will be switching back and forth so you don't have to mess around and try to dial in a manual boost controller every time you switch.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 08:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As long as you do the supporting mods and you regularly clean your injectors and find a reputable E85 station I say do it. For sure have a dual map tune so you can switch back to 93 in case of an emergency.

I've been on E85 for a year now and love it. Haven't ran 93 in about 10 months.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Heres a basic recipe needed to run E85

Open intake (AEM or similar). You can stay w/the stock box & a high flow filer
1000cc inj or larger (You can run your 890's & that will work) (fuel rail stays the same)
3 port boost solenoid or manual boost controller
Full open 3" exhaust / no CAT
Dual Tephra map
255 Walbro (you wont need a 450 just yet )
Add E85
Tune to 27 psi or lower depending on the WHP goal / tuners suggestions

There have been some guys to run a true Flex kit but I like to keep things simple & I dont DD my EVO. Been on California E85 for 8 years

Heres a EVO flex link:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...u-evo-8-a.html

Awesome! Thank you very much! So to go along with what you had said. I no longer have the stock box intake, I have a small pipe coming off of the turbo with a filter on the end(sorry I don't really know the name of it).
I have a AEM boost controller(electronic), I'm hoping that will work.
I'm not quite for sure about the exhaust(size wise) I know that I no longer have a cat.
And as far as the MAP are you saying dual as in two maps or is that the tune? If it is two maps will a stock ecu hold two maps?
My car is currently tuned to about 27-28 psi on 93.
And lastly, unfortunately I do DD my evo. It currently isn't with me however once I get it back I'll be DDing it.
Thank you!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I would do a little research ahead of time and make sure you will have E85 stations close enough to you that you will actually use it. The most common way to run E85 is with a dual map tune that you switch back and forth from. I have seen a flexfuel implementation, but i know very little about how it works and i believe there are only a couple shops that can actually install and tune it. So to clarify traditionally you would have a switch that you would flip when going from gasoline to E85 to switch between the different maps. Also I would recommend going with the three port boost controller if you will be switching back and forth so you don't have to mess around and try to dial in a manual boost controller every time you switch.
Currently I'm living in San Diego, I've heard that there are quite a bit of E85 stations around here. But eventually in about a year or so I'll be moving to Washington state(a little north of Seattle). I mentioned in my second post that I have an AEM electronic boost controller, so I'm assuming/hoping that will work just fine. Thank you!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 09:07 AM

Hey everyone, got another question for you about doing this setup. I can't remember where I heard it from, but I faintly remember hearing someone mention head studs for an E85 build. Granted the build they are talking about may have been a high horsepower car, so I maybe just overthinking it. Either way would there be any reason for me to worry about using the stock head studs? Or should I also think about getting those replaced as well?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 09:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Kealinstillz
Awesome! Thank you very much! So to go along with what you had said. I no longer have the stock box intake, I have a small pipe coming off of the turbo with a filter on the end(sorry I don't really know the name of it).
I have a AEM boost controller(electronic), I'm hoping that will work.
I'm not quite for sure about the exhaust(size wise) I know that I no longer have a cat.
And as far as the MAP are you saying dual as in two maps or is that the tune? If it is two maps will a stock ecu hold two maps?
My car is currently tuned to about 27-28 psi on 93.
And lastly, unfortunately I do DD my evo. It currently isn't with me however once I get it back I'll be DDing it.
Thank you!
You may have whats needed to get your first tune on E85 even w/the 890cc inj except for the 255 Walbro if I remember correctly

Yes, the stock ECU will hold 2 maps. You will need the Tephra V7 program which the tuner should load for you at tune time

Youre going to love it. The advanced timing, the power, the cooling effect is all so great. Mileage is horrible LOL
Old Aug 16, 2016, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
You may have whats needed to get your first tune on E85 even w/the 890cc inj except for the 255 Walbro if I remember correctly

Yes, the stock ECU will hold 2 maps. You will need the Tephra V7 program which the tuner should load for you at tune time

Youre going to love it. The advanced timing, the power, the cooling effect is all so great. Mileage is horrible LOL

Sounds good! I've heard about the mileage lol. But I've heard that it's all about miles per smile at that point which I'm completely content with!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:57 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
the studs are more of a power/boost level thing then a fuel type issue. Most people however will tune for greater power on e85 then on 91 so it might be a good idea depending on your power goals. It is kind of a gamble that you might blow the head gasket if you do it without replacing the gasket at the same time. I waited until it was time to do a timing belt job before i swapped them out since i already had most everything apart and i could throw in a new Head gasket.