Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Innovate Ethanol Content gauge not same readings

Old Oct 28, 2016, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Innovate Ethanol Content gauge not same readings

I recently purchased Innovate Ethanol Content gauge, pretty simple install,,,
This is the problem im having, the readings im getting from the glass vials and the reading on the innovate gauge are why off,, the Innovate will read like 70/75 on the gauge ,when the the glass vial will show like E85 and higher tested with 2 different vials and i get the same results for both glass testers
Anyone having the same issue
Old Oct 28, 2016, 02:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I live in So. Cal & have tested using the glass vial & have been reading 85 plus. I even called Pearson Fuels & was told their average is a solid 85%

But the vial method is questionable as youre relying on the placement of the graduated vial marking, which in my case is a decal

Also, after watching a couple of YT vids on these on board analyzers, makes you wonder whats the real reading

Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ant_turbo
I recently purchased Innovate Ethanol Content gauge, pretty simple install,,,
This is the problem im having, the readings im getting from the glass vials and the reading on the innovate gauge are why off,, the Innovate will read like 70/75 on the gauge ,when the the glass vial will show like E85 and higher tested with 2 different vials and i get the same results for both glass testers
Anyone having the same issue
Verify...did you syphon gas out of your tank for testing with the vials? Or did you test fuel you were putting into your tank with the vials?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
I know my buddy just installed his and reads e70-75 here in socal.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes I did test it right out of The fuel tank... and the glass vial still showed a higher reading
Originally Posted by Garth
Verify...did you syphon gas out of your
tank for testing with the vials? Or did you test fuel you were putting into your tank with the vials?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 03:25 PM

I know years ago when Zeitronix first came out with their display, their website had a list of vehicles where you could find compatible sensors. This list included both Ford and GM vehicles. Soon people figured out that the Ford sensors were calibrated differently, and they resulted in the Zeitronix display showing ethanol too low. When this became known, Zeitronix removed the Ford vehicles from their listing of compatible sensors.

Note that this was back when the FF sensors were big, clunky, and expensive. Now sensors are much smaller and lot cheaper. They may have also been standardized so this may not be an issue today, I don't know. If you got your sensor from Innovate, they probably provided the correct sensor, but it may be worth calling them about.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 04:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I know years ago when Zeitronix first came out with their display, their website had a list of vehicles where you could find compatible sensors. This list included both Ford and GM vehicles. Soon people figured out that the Ford sensors were calibrated differently, and they resulted in the Zeitronix display showing ethanol too low. When this became known, Zeitronix removed the Ford vehicles from their listing of compatible sensors.

Note that this was back when the FF sensors were big, clunky, and expensive. Now sensors are much smaller and lot cheaper. They may have also been standardized so this may not be an issue today, I don't know. If you got your sensor from Innovate, they probably provided the correct sensor, but it may be worth calling them about.
AFAIK, all the ECA's use the same Continental flex fuel sensor. Innovate, Zeitronix, flexconvertor, etc.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
AFAIK, all the ECA's use the same Continental flex fuel sensor. Innovate, Zeitronix, flexconvertor, etc.
Here is what I was talking about, look about half way down:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ex-fuel-sensor

My point is I think it's possible there could be a Continental model, or similar that has a different calibration. When I bought my new one, I went cheap. I didn't buy from Innovate, Zeitronix etc, but I bought from a GM parts supplier just to make sure it was calibrated correctly, instead of buying off Ebay. I know it's probably a long, long shot to get the wrong calibration, but I think it could be possible.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 05:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Here is what I was talking about, look about half way down:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ex-fuel-sensor

My point is I think it's possible there could be a Continental model, or similar that has a different calibration. When I bought my new one, I went cheap. I didn't buy from Innovate, Zeitronix etc, but I bought from a GM parts supplier just to make sure it was calibrated correctly, instead of buying off Ebay. I know it's probably a long, long shot to get the wrong calibration, but I think it could be possible.
nobody uses those big metal brick sensors anymore. I'm talking about the continental sensors.

innovate uses the same continental sensor all the others do.

Last edited by razorlab; Oct 31, 2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
nobody uses those big metal brick sensors anymore. I'm talking about the continental sensors.

innovate uses the same continental sensor all the others do.
Of course. But perhaps continental makes a sensor for Fords that is calibrated differently and the original poster got the wrong one off ebay or somewhere else. I'm trying to figure out another possible reason for his results.

Edit: interesting enough, I just checked their website, and Continental makes a Biodiesel sensor that looks just like the ethanol sensor, and they make a unique calibration for Brazil. Again, I'm sure it's a long, long shot.

Last edited by Garth; Oct 31, 2016 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Content
Old Oct 31, 2016, 05:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Of course. But perhaps continental makes a sensor for Fords that is calibrated differently and the original poster got the wrong one off ebay or somewhere else. I'm trying to figure out another possible reason for his results.
most fords don't use actual flex fuel sensors anymore. They infer off fuel trims now.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 05:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Another thing to keep in mind is how the the actual ECA is converting the continental hz output to voltage for the gauge/output.

all the continental sensors ouput in Hz, which is why you can't just purchase the sensor , you need a ECA to convert the signal to 0-5v.

If there is some error, I would probably put my bets on the ECA, not the continental sensor.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:50 AM

Ive got the AEM and same issue. Vial reads to be E85, sensor reads low 70s