Notices
ECU Flash

Engine Coolant Temp...

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2006, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Coolant Temp...

Im still learning here. My question is at what point does engine coolant temperature play a role ( if any)? Does the ECU make timing changes if you are running over a certain temperature ( above normal)? What about on a cold engine? i could be way off though.
Old May 13, 2006, 06:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The only coolant temp related items I currently see defined are

min coolant temp for closed loop (in celcius)

That does not mean there aren't more, in fact, there are probably several in the ECU's rom, only they have not yet been defined in the program.

Give it time, it will eventually be documented as its found or added.

In the past, I haven't specifically noticed any changes due to high coolant temps, but I also have not run my car in conditions that could cause it.
Old May 13, 2006, 10:03 AM
Account Disabled

You are very wrong on this point

Remember - the "definitions" you are looking at are only a small handful of what can be adjusted in the raw code.

Anyone with an a/f gauge will be able to quickly determine what role coolant temprature plays in an evo - a rather HUGE role

In Evos the a/f goes very rich as the coollant temps rise above 185 degrees - as you get hotter the car goes richer and richer
Old May 13, 2006, 10:07 AM
EvoM Guru

How could I be wrong when I said

1) The only one defined currently is the "min coolant temp for closed loop" item

2) That I had not observed anything different because I have not yet run my car in conditions that would cause it to run very hot?

I am aware of a few additional addresses and tables that are not yet published in this software.. but since I do not know enough about them, I am waiting until they are published in the XML Definitions.
Old May 13, 2006, 11:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
The only coolant temp related items I currently see defined are

min coolant temp for closed loop (in celcius)

That does not mean there aren't more, in fact, there are probably several in the ECU's rom, only they have not yet been defined in the program.

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
[You are very wrong on this point

Remember - the "definitions" you are looking at are only a small handful of what can be adjusted in the raw code.

??? Al you need to read the posts more.
Old May 13, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

The boost control solenoid has a coolant temp trim. It will only allow 10 psi when your engine is cold, then 15 as its warming up, and full boost when at operating temp. Obviously this is not relevant if your running an aftermarket boost controller.
Old May 13, 2006, 11:53 AM
EvoM Guru

I'm actually running a GM Solenoid in place of the stock solenoid for the UTEC, once I get the different WG Duty tables, compensation tables, and whatnot figured out, I'm actually going to rely more heavily on the ECU for my tunes..
Old May 13, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The DSM ECU pulls timing when the coolant temps rise, too. IIRC, it is 1 degree at 206 and goes from there. I forgot the temp at which 2 degrees are pulled.

Eric
Old May 13, 2006, 12:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
The DSM ECU pulls timing when the coolant temps rise, too. IIRC, it is 1 degree at 206 and goes from there. I forgot the temp at which 2 degrees are pulled.

Eric
From what I've been told, there's definitely at least one address space for a table of values for that.. But its not defined in ECUFlash yet..

These things will start turning up as the XML definitions get updated.. I have to assume that I'll hear about some of these as their found I should be able to talk about them as they determine the data does what it seems.