Minor ECUFlash and Logging rant..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Minor ECUFlash and Logging rant..

Hey, this is just a random rant..

<begin rant>

1) If you download a program, read the instructions, description, and search for common questions as most are already answered

2) Common sense is your friend

3) If you have to ask what a zip file or rar file is (after its been clearly explained) then its possible you might not want to do this by yourself, and get a friend to help you.

4) Tuning involves some logical thinking, if you cannot figure out how to install a program, or plug in a cable (barring problems due to errors) then perhaps you shouldn't be tuning the car yourself

5) Yes you DO need a wideband to do this

6) No I don't have a base map for you to start with

7) No I cannot explain how to tune in a single reply to a PM or post, nor can I call people personally to explain it. (sorry, but I do actually get this alot)

8) Yes you DO need your own laptop to do this, if you have to borrow one, then you aren't willing to commit to the time it takes to learn to do this safely. If your spending the money to modify your car, you certainly can afford to buy the cable, software, an an inexpensive used or new laptop.

9) There are plenty of tuners who can create a base-map specific to your combination of modifications. Most aren't able to do it for free. No, I cannot do one for you for free.

Please don't take this personally, I'm very patient and like explaining and demonstrating tuning techniques. But in the past month, I had 800pm's filling up my PM box. Many are questions that are unique, or different enough to warrant a reply. But a majority were questions that had been asked and answered right here in the forums, or entirely common sense, or just basic computer literacy.

the ECU in our car is also a computer, It uses the same logic and thought process it takes to solve problems on a regular computer. If your not willing to work through the problems you have on your computer, then you will also have trouble working through it on the ECU (tuning)

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, everyone has to start somewhere..

I can understand and relate to the questions being asked, but if you search, and cannot find an answer, then its okay to ask it in the forums, if its very specific, or only something I can answer, then its something you should take to a PM.

There are dozens of us here with the experience to answer any question that may not have been asked, but the odds are pretty high that they have already been asked.

</end rant>

This really isn't unique to the ECUFlash stuff, this is actually basic forum etiquette for any technical forum.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aww, poor Jack. You need a secretary.

Now i am nowhere as near knowledgable as you are, but that is pretty much the reason why i keep my mouth shut and stay in off topic.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Its honestly not that I mind answering questions, but in the past month I cleared out 800pm's, 500 of which were questions that really could have been easily found by searching a few keywords.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

I love you man.
Merry xmas.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah Jack your the man merry christmas

thanks for replying to my pm a moth or so ago
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:35 AM
EvoM Guru

LOL I feel like the grinch now..

I still don't mind answering questions, but I've just been trying to encourage people to post them in the open forums so others have the opportunity to answer the questions quicker than I can. Its really that I just don't have the time to give in-depth answers to some of the questions I get
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Jack,
I'll send you a pair of my x-gf's sex shoes.
PM me your addy and I'll send you off a set. We just broke up and I don't know what to do with them.

I'm SO SKETCHY!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ibanez_926
aww, poor Jack. You need a secretary.

Now i am nowhere as near knowledgable as you are, but that is pretty much the reason why i keep my mouth shut and stay in off topic.

There is an old saying.. "No Good Deed goes Unpunished" Its somewhat fitting because the more you contribute, the more everyone wants the right answers from someone they trust, unfortunately it creates an ungodly workload..
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

She's a size 6. It'll fit up to a size 7 though.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
She's a size 6. It'll fit up to a size 7 though.
This disturbs me on so many levels..

I'm actually surprised nobody has contributed to the rant..
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

She has really cute feet.

Size 6-7 women's not mens...I don't wear her stuff.

Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, I guess that's what happens when you obtain evom guru status!

Thanks Jack for all that you do. Plus all the other knowledgeable posters out there. I've been wrenching on turbo'd vehicles for almost 15 yrs. I've got the mechanical part down, but this ECU stuff is all new (as well as alll this new computer lingo) to me, and I'm sure the bulk of the people here. You gurus are a huge help!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Jack -- You rock! Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, & Happy New Year!

Now get back to answering PMs
Old Dec 20, 2006, 03:43 PM

Wiki-fy

Hi Jack,

I've been following just about every word you've written in here and in the aktivematrix forums, and I am in general awe at the experience you've amassed. I'm further impressed that you've taken the time to try to share your knowledge and experience with the members of the various forums you participate in.

This being said, please take what I write as constructive: in my opinion, forums are not the optimum format in which to disseminate ever evolving knowledge. The mantra here (and just about every popuplar forum out there) is "Search & Read, then ask." But sifting through hundreds of threads that end with a "Use the search button!" type post is frustrating and only the most stalwart can muddle through. To your credit, I've seen you answer several "repetitive" threads with a concise answer - thank you.

I am a developer out in California working on an open source project fulltime (SugarCRM if you're curious), and I understand exactly what you're going through with the PMs, emails, IMs, etc. The solution we've found is that to reduce the signal-to-noise ratio to manageable levels is to implement a wikified format for common questions; F.A.Q.s are great for static content, but don't fit well with a changing information base. The part that makes the most sense to me is that wikis are a centrally available, easily updatable and *searchable* knowledge base that can be maintained by anyone who has the time. Passing on the torch is as easy as letting someone with more time and energy to contribute to do so.

If this scheme fits in with anything related to mistulogger/EcuFlash/general EFI tuning, I'd be willing to contribute dev-time/implementation time to help get this launched.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 03:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Its interesting you mentioned the Wiki stuff, It has been something I've been thinking about for awhile.

The big issue is integration with (my specific forum software) as I don't want to maintain seperate user bases (on www.aktivematrix.com) but I do want to control who can read, and who can contribute content. Typically a Wiki is a free-for-all which is good but can lead to abuse and poor quality content.

Check out my forum, let me know if there's any integration route, and I'll definitely implement a wiki. I've tried a few products like Mambo, Mediawiki, TikiWiki, etc, all were great tools, but lacked in areas where forum software (Such as what I'm using) is better suited for.

My frustrations on this site isn't that people aren't searching, I understand that its difficult to find some data unless you know specifically what your looking for, but that people are using PM's to ask questions instead of asking the community. Part of it is probably due to fear of them getting abused a bit for not searching, but the reality is, no question is a stupid question, its just that they can get a much faster answer if they post it out in the open assuming its not sensitive, confidential, or very very specific to me.

Quick Reply: Minor ECUFlash and Logging rant..