Notices
ECU Flash

Is venting your crankcase bad for your tune?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2007, 03:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KDeiwert
Is it safe to say then, that if you vent your valve cover to atm, then you should eliminate your pcv valve? I eliminated mine on both my 1st and 2nd gen DSMs back in the day.

Kyle Deiwert
That is a bad idea....There have been many posts about the ill effects of doing this...Both outlets are essential to a the evo....And rather than VTA, folks should use a good catch can (or the like) and route back to intake and manifold.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a write-up I did with my "cheap catch can" install. It even has diagrams of the PCV system for those that are confused.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=51997
Old Feb 9, 2007, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
try to keep the inlet tract clean and avoid the reduction in octane that oil mist can cause.

Have you checked your turbo inlet piping and intercooler piping? Where do you think all that oil vapor is going when under boost? By your post it sounds like you have a catch can between the cam cover and the intake manifold, but what about between the cam cover and your intake pipe?

Between pulling the intake piping to replace turbos, intercoolers, routine maintenance, etc., I'd rather "smell" that oil vapor/water/acid than have it end up in my intake track!!!!

Different strokes for different folks is what makes the world go round.
There is no change to the OEM configuration.

I just placed a trap between the preturbo pipe and rocker cover, and I placed another (in a series of two traps to get all the oil) between the PVCcheck valve (you know what that is, right?) and the intake runner port that tends to send oil to combust.

Look, no mater what the good old boy's say, I believe that the headspace in the cranckcase needs to be positive in respect to the head for most of the engine's operation. At high oil temperatures vopors of fuel, water, and some cases, methanol, need to be pulled out and recycled.

Without the negative pressure and a two way flowing loop the fumes end up going into solution with the oil which will break down it's properties
Old Feb 9, 2007, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Ahhhhhhhh catch cans?

Originally Posted by jcsbanks
try to keep the inlet tract clean and avoid the reduction in octane that oil mist can cause.

Have you checked your turbo inlet piping and intercooler piping? Where do you think all that oil vapor is going when under boost? By your post it sounds like you have a catch can between the cam cover and the intake manifold, but what about between the cam cover and your intake pipe?

Between pulling the intake piping to replace turbos, intercoolers, routine maintenance, etc., I'd rather "smell" that oil vapor/water/acid than have it end up in my intake track!!!!

Different strokes for different folks is what makes the world go round.

The stuff you smell is just what happens to find its way out of the crank case imagine all the acids and moisture that's not making it's way out. The PCV system is there for a reason.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
There is no change to the OEM configuration.

I just placed a trap between the preturbo pipe and rocker cover, and I placed another (in a series of two traps to get all the oil) between the PVCcheck valve (you know what that is, right?) and the intake runner port that tends to send oil to combust.

Look, no mater what the good old boy's say, I believe that the headspace in the cranckcase needs to be positive in respect to the head for most of the engine's operation. At high oil temperatures vopors of fuel, water, and some cases, methanol, need to be pulled out and recycled.

Without the negative pressure and a two way flowing loop the fumes end up going into solution with the oil which will break down it's properties
I don't think anyone is advocating not venting the crankcase to the intake manifold, such that it pulls the undesireable gasses out of the crankcase and into the intake manifold while it is under vacuum.

I think the debate is whether or not those vapors while under boost need to be vented back into the turbo inlet pipe or can they be vented straight to atmosphere through a simple breather? Obviously, when the intake manifold is under vacuum, you're pulling in fresh air through your breather that isn't metered, and sweeping all the nasty's out of the crankcase/cam cover into the intake manifold. But under boost, when the PCV valve shuts, I personally would rather have that nasty vapor from the crankcase going to atmosphere than back into the turbo suction. It's still a two way flow loop like you suggest.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
The stuff you smell is just what happens to find its way out of the crank case imagine all the acids and moisture that's not making it's way out. The PCV system is there for a reason.
again, I'm not advocating (and I don't think anyone else is) removing the PCV system. Keep the PCV valve, and keep it hooked up to the intake manifold so that it does see negative pressure during idle/cruise, and is swept clean by fresh air entering from A) tubing that is routed back to the pre-turbo piping or B) a simple breather filter. How'd did this get turned around to not having a PCV system?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

good stuff
Old Feb 9, 2007, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Ahhhh catch cans

again, I'm not advocating (and I don't think anyone else is) removing the PCV system. Keep the PCV valve, and keep it hooked up to the intake manifold so that it does see negative pressure during idle/cruise, and is swept clean by fresh air entering from A) tubing that is routed back to the pre-turbo piping or B) a simple breather filter. How'd did this get turned around to not having a PCV system?

Having a duel can system that works for some time I can attest to the fact that the system flows in 2 directions. Your PCV valve will leak under high boost and metered air will escape to atmosphere, that will affect your tune and I believe that was the title of this post.

Saikou_kun FTW!!
Old Feb 9, 2007, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Why are people getting blow-by through their crankcase? I get absolutely none.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

SophieSleeps

And how do you know this? Interesting statement though.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Having a duel can system that works for some time I can attest to the fact that the system flows in 2 directions. Your PCV valve will leak under high boost and metered air will escape to atmosphere, that will affect your tune and I believe that was the title of this post.

Saikou_kun FTW!!
the pcv valve should not leak under high boost. The higher the boost, the tighter it will hold. That's the way it's designed. It shouldn't lose any metered air.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
Why are people getting blow-by through their crankcase? I get absolutely none.
All engines experience some amount of blow-by past the pistion rings and into the crankcase. It's totally normal. But too much blow-by is a bad thing. That's why some people blow out their dipstick, from the excess pressure in the crankcase from too much blow-by.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

You're right.

the pcv valve should not leak under high boost. The higher the boost, the tighter it will hold. That's the way it's designed. It shouldn't lose any metered air.

The valve shouldn't leak but design and reality can be two different things.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

The valve shouldn't leak but design and reality can be two different things.
It's a simple ball, seat and spring...... the vacuum overcomes the spring pressure and allows the ball to come off it's seat. Boost pressure, along with spring pressure pushes the ball harder into it's seat. The higher the boost, the less chance you have of any leak.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Take a look and tell me you see a "Ball" in there.

Quick Reply: Is venting your crankcase bad for your tune?