Notices
ECU Flash

Few quesitons on Reflash with EcuFlash, plsss

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few quesitons on Reflash with EcuFlash, plsss

Pls help me out, i've been doing some researches and it cleared up most of the quesitons I have except for the below:

1. When does the OEM ECU know when to switch over from low det to high det map? Is it with some kind of conditions like, IF KNOCK COUNT > X for a certain period of time then switch over to high det map? Can we adjust these settings with EcuFlash?

2. When the OEM ECU increases knock count, this means that the knock voltage is above a certan predefined voltage @ a particular RPM? Can we adjust such settings with EcuFlash (ie: knock threshold map)?

3. When knock count increases, can the ECU automatically retard timing (to try to avoid further knocks) and then gradually increase timing back over time?

Thank you so much in advance.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This is actually one of the most common bits of information discussed in some of the older threads.. Its a bit involved but search for

"Octane Number", "Knock Count" or "Knock Sum" and you should find all the info your looking for.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:35 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

1.) 6 counts of knock or more will begin to degrade the "octane," and therefore begin to use to high det map. I don't believe this is adjustable, but could be wrong.

2.) Don't touch the knock threshold settings. The ECU pulls timing when your engine needs to be protected. It's for your own good.

3.) Yes, that's correct. Generally, you'll see a knock spike followed by a decay back to 0 counts. This indicates that you're probably only "knocking" at the spike and need to make some adjustments at that RPM/load.

Originally Posted by erggy
Pls help me out, i've been doing some researches and it cleared up most of the quesitons I have except for the below:

1. When does the OEM ECU know when to switch over from low det to high det map? Is it with some kind of conditions like, IF KNOCK COUNT > X for a certain period of time then switch over to high det map? Can we adjust these settings with EcuFlash?

2. When the OEM ECU increases knock count, this means that the knock voltage is above a certan predefined voltage @ a particular RPM? Can we adjust such settings with EcuFlash (ie: knock threshold map)?

3. When knock count increases, can the ECU automatically retard timing (to try to avoid further knocks) and then gradually increase timing back over time?

Thank you so much in advance.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

thank you both!! I'll do further research on the web