Notices
ECU Flash

HOW TO - Control boost using ECUFLash and 3 port GM boost solenoid

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2007, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
The other wierd thing, I noticed you stated something about tuning without error correction, so I turned it off and got 19-20psi(gauge reading lower than normal) I turned it back on and it read 21psi.
That means that the actual load the car is hitting with the WGDC values in the table is lower than the target load in the BDEL tables, so the boost correction is adding duty cycle to hit the target load.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spdracerut
That means that the actual load the car is hitting with the WGDC values in the table is lower than the target load in the BDEL tables, so the boost correction is adding duty cycle to hit the target load.
Ok so I turned the error correction on last night, blasted about 4 times, all 4 times gauge showed holding til redline. That is about 85 degrees with 50% humidity. Today pretty simlilar temps, I get on it. Actually out of about 12 passes this is the first time I seen this. 4th gear the boost gauge just shoots up to 25psi. I put on my bitter beer face and let off, then I tried that in 3rd gear. Same situation, shot past target. I am still trying to figure out how some of you guys get 0 wgdc at idle, vs my 100 at idle.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe the WGDC parameters in the Evoscan xml file have the values reversed?

Should be 0 at idle then at onset of boost start diverting the air away from the WGA, so WGDC ramps up diverting more and more air. Not sure what % WGDC without any pills in the line from the turbo to the 3 port, but as Razorlab says, he can get 30 and sustain 25 w/o any. If you cant get even 21 I suspect a leak in the lines from the turbo to the 3 port and / or a restriction in the vent line from the 3 port to the turbo inlet. May be both.

Milburn
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent write up. I ran one of these on my WRX with great success.

Currently, I'm running the Perrin EBCS, which is also a 3-port solenoid, but twice as expensive...lol. I figured I would try it out on the Evo. Anyway, I'm having great difficulty tuning with it because the car does not seem to respond to any WGDC changes or engine load changes. Currently my target engine load is ~193 and the WGDC is set to 0 (all 3 tables) and the car still hits ~290 load in 3rd gear around 3,300-3,500 rpms. I see a few 1 or 2 knock counts here and there when spooling but nothing up top. I have put -13 on the positive side of Turbo Boost Error Correction map to give the ECU more ability to take away boost, but nothing. The car runs as if it was tuned this way

Lastly, when logging on Evoscan the WGDC hits 100 around 2,500 and 0 before that even though it is set to 0 on the entire table. I'll try to post some logs. Thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wrcwannabe
Maybe the WGDC parameters in the Evoscan xml file have the values reversed?

Should be 0 at idle then at onset of boost start diverting the air away from the WGA, so WGDC ramps up diverting more and more air. Not sure what % WGDC without any pills in the line from the turbo to the 3 port, but as Razorlab says, he can get 30 and sustain 25 w/o any. If you cant get even 21 I suspect a leak in the lines from the turbo to the 3 port and / or a restriction in the vent line from the 3 port to the turbo inlet. May be both.

Milburn
Well I may test it with no vent line. I changed the settings some I will go test it and report back. I did not change anything in the EVOscan XML. Can you paste up your wgdc equation in your evoscan xml so i can compare. Thx
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Just a thought but you do have the normal open port going to the WGA ? And the normal closed being the vent back to the turbo inlet? The line from the turbo to the solenoid goes onto the metal port on the side with only one port.

Not being nasty or flip, its just easy to make a mistake sometimes. I do it a lot these days

I do not use Evoscan, rather Mitsulogger and Logworks now. Logworks for the WB info, all others mitsulgger. 2 byte load mod in the xml and ROM ( 96940011 ).

Post up what you got ( ROM ) and log files I'll look at them. If you could send the xml for evoscan I'll look at that to see if it is corrupted somehow.

Milburn
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Here are the WGDC settings from various EVOS.

My personal Evo8. FPgreen with stock 9 actuator, mods are in my sig. 100 octane

---------------------------------------------------------------

Evolution 8
-FP green w/ stock 02 housing
-FP 18psi actuator
-3 inch TB w/ no cat
-RC 750 injectors
-Walboro fuel pump
-Buddyclub 272's set at +1/-1
-GM boost solenoid
-AMS LICP
-IX BOV
-Blitz open filter cone w/ apexi induction box

---------------------------------------------------------------

And some more coming....

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 14, 2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Nice...Thanks very much sir !

Clear in my head how it works.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wrcwannabe
Just a thought but you do have the normal open port going to the WGA ? And the normal closed being the vent back to the turbo inlet? The line from the turbo to the solenoid goes onto the metal port on the side with only one port.

Not being nasty or flip, its just easy to make a mistake sometimes. I do it a lot these days

I do not use Evoscan, rather Mitsulogger and Logworks now. Logworks for the WB info, all others mitsulgger. 2 byte load mod in the xml and ROM ( 96940011 ).

Post up what you got ( ROM ) and log files I'll look at them. If you could send the xml for evoscan I'll look at that to see if it is corrupted somehow.

Milburn

Dont worry about it, I dont take it that way. Everyone is here to help each other. It is kinda hard to mess up with that big picture lol, I bought 4ft of vaccuum line and I ran a vaccuum line from the metal port to the turbo inlet pipe, the port with the vent filter I took off the vent filter and ran a line from that to the stock intake pipe, and then the last plastic port next to the vent port, I ran it to the wastegate. Ill get some new logs and try to get them up.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mchuang
Dont worry about it, I dont take it that way. Everyone is here to help each other. It is kinda hard to mess up with that big picture lol, I bought 4ft of vaccuum line and I ran a vaccuum line from the metal port to the turbo inlet pipe, the port with the vent filter I took off the vent filter and ran a line from that to the stock intake pipe, and then the last plastic port next to the vent port, I ran it to the wastegate. Ill get some new logs and try to get them up.

I guess you really meant the turbo outlet pipe ( hard pipe next to the WGA ) as being the source of the air signal. Meanwhile see the values Razorlab just posted for WGDC in the ROM.

In MITSU LOGGER I see the WGDC as 0 until the car starts to spool then as the solenoid hits its activation point, goes to some value. IIRC there was a error or an xml fix for this .

mrfred's posts on logging wgdc should have it.

No offense given then !!!!

Cant wait 12 days til mine comes in.

Let the real experts see what you got mr chuang, they will spot the problem right away.
But i'd like to see your Rom and logs too !!

Milburn
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

i'd zip tie those lines to the ports, really tight . No leaks = better control.

Milburn
Old Jun 14, 2007, 07:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Also every Evo takes different WGDC settings, even with almost the same mods. I've done over 20 cars now with ecu-boost and every one is different.

The above is for base only. YMMV.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Also every Evo takes different WGDC settings, even with almost the same mods. I've done over 20 cars now with ecu-boost and every one is different.

The above is for base only. YMMV.
I can imagine....mine seems different on some days from others without any changes

Milburn
Old Jun 14, 2007, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Here with out 3 port, but bcs control 56 TP/ 52 BCS pill WGA=18 psi 1/2 turn preload, Evo15 DV 23 psi spring
Attached Files
File Type: doc
ROM values.doc (57.5 KB, 77 views)
The following users liked this post:
Gabriele90 (Sep 20, 2021)
Old Jun 14, 2007, 07:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Your BDEL is set incorrectly. You hold 260 load up top? The ECU will always be using error correction after peak boost with those BDEL and BCLO tables.

This is probably why your boost is always changing.

It should look more like this:

Quick Reply: HOW TO - Control boost using ECUFLash and 3 port GM boost solenoid