Notices
ECU Flash

How To Tune an Evo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2007, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they dont have a ton of parts on their site... but here is the great thing..... They can get just about everything.......

send a PM to yopartstom, tell him you talked with me, and ask him for a price on the lc-1 / xd-16 combo i have been recommending. He will take care of you. You could also hit him up on AIM as the response is a lot quicker.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigric09
they dont have a ton of parts on their site... but here is the great thing..... They can get just about everything.......

send a PM to yopartstom, tell him you talked with me, and ask him for a price on the lc-1 / xd-16 combo i have been recommending. He will take care of you. You could also hit him up on AIM as the response is a lot quicker.
Sounds good. I placed them on my buddy list last night. Hey, I noticed they have the act prolite flywheel on their for pretty cheap... any idea what twin disc clutch I should get to go with that? (500+ hp). also I can't find any 680cc injectors. rc makes 660cc. what's good? rc? ams? which should I get from them?

thanks for all your help!
Old Nov 19, 2007, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

order them from yoparts as well... tell them you want precision 680's .... they can and will get them, trust me, i know
Old Nov 27, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got these out of the manual. These 2 pages have helped me understand some of the "why's" and created a lot more questions of how did they do it .

Attached Thumbnails How To Tune an Evo-evo-system-diagram.png   How To Tune an Evo-ecm-controls.png  
Old Dec 2, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
order them from yoparts as well... tell them you want precision 680's .... they can and will get them, trust me, i know
So i've spent about 2grand on parts, majority from yoparts... i ended up getting 750cc RC injectors because of the brand... my boy just did a light tune on his evo 8 with similar (but less) mods that I currently have sitting in my garage (not installed) and he's pushing 320 whp. I'm looking to do something like 360whp for now with the stock turbo, that should be around what the FQ400 puts out to the wheels.

Currently installed:
  • Greddy Titanium Cat-Back Exhaust.
  • Light weight Battery.
  • Removed spare wheel (that sucker weighs 35lbs!) god help me if i get a flat. LoL.

To be installed (sitting in garage):
  • 750cc RC injectors (fq400 has the 680cc's go figure )
  • Walbro 255 pump w/installation kit
  • Injen lower/upper IC pipes w/intake + filter/adapter
  • Perrin manual boost controller (red, i love red )
  • Perrin Blow off valve (it's a vent to atmosphere, I bought it by mistake, I'm willing to trade, or get rid of it cheap. Any one have use for it? Am going to buy another BOV soon, don't know which. Suggestions? )
  • Invidia Turbo Outlet Housing (2.7" end) largest i could find.
  • Turbo XS 3" down pipe. (no flex, is this bad? I thought it was good, better flow).. (Go figure it had the bung pre welded for the sensor at the 3 o clock position!!!! YES! ) Only problem is that the donut that is included is too small to fit the invidia T/O, and the invidia one is too small to fit in the XS downpipe, the XS one seems to be grindable. I'm going to be posting a thread soon called "Project FQ-400" and I'll post all pictures of my parts and installation and tuning.
  • Catco 3" High flow Cat (no sensor bung on this, but the Greddy cat back has one right after the cat, thats where I'll put the O2 sensor I guess )
  • Innovate LC1 w/ XD16 2" 1/16 wide band A/F gauge.
  • Tactrix Evo specific cable for tuning (USB)

Ordered (coming in soon):
  • STRI Boost gauge 2" 1/16
  • Dual pod steering column by autometer
  • Carbon Fiber Dash kit for 3 relocated gauges w/radio relocate to lower.
  • Glow Shift Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp gauges.
  • USB to Serial adapter for the tactrix Evo cable for tuning.

I'm open to any feed back before installing this stuff and tuning according to this thread.

My hopes are to smooth out the knocks, adjust the injector size, change the boost curve modestly, lean out the A/F and take it to a dyno and see what I'm pushing. Hopefully 360+ (crossing fingers).

Is there a benefit to getting a better header for the stock turbo? or is this something that I should wait on for when I get a new, bigger turbo?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 2, 2007, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
why has this great thread fallen off track?
The following users liked this post:
Q-Kazoo (Mar 16, 2024)
Old Dec 2, 2007, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

x2
Old Dec 2, 2007, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MagicManRed
I'm looking to do something like 360whp for now with the stock turbo

My hopes are to smooth out the knocks, adjust the injector size, change the boost curve modestly, lean out the A/F and take it to a dyno and see what I'm pushing. Hopefully 360+ (crossing fingers).
360whp with your setup? Without alky injection or even cams?? That'd have to be some sort of record on the stock turbo.

Can a Mod relocate his post to a more appropriate section, or create his own thread?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 09:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
maybe he lives in alaska... and has dry ice stuffed into his intake..?
Old Dec 3, 2007, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MagicManRed
So i've spent about 2grand on parts, majority from yoparts... i ended up getting 750cc RC injectors because of the brand... my boy just did a light tune on his evo 8 with similar (but less) mods that I currently have sitting in my garage (not installed) and he's pushing 320 whp. I'm looking to do something like 360whp for now with the stock turbo, that should be around what the FQ400 puts out to the wheels.

Currently installed:
  • Greddy Titanium Cat-Back Exhaust.
  • Light weight Battery.
  • Removed spare wheel (that sucker weighs 35lbs!) god help me if i get a flat. LoL.

To be installed (sitting in garage):
  • 750cc RC injectors (fq400 has the 680cc's go figure )
  • Walbro 255 pump w/installation kit
  • Injen lower/upper IC pipes w/intake + filter/adapter
  • Perrin manual boost controller (red, i love red )
  • Perrin Blow off valve (it's a vent to atmosphere, I bought it by mistake, I'm willing to trade, or get rid of it cheap. Any one have use for it? Am going to buy another BOV soon, don't know which. Suggestions? )
  • Invidia Turbo Outlet Housing (2.7" end) largest i could find.
  • Turbo XS 3" down pipe. (no flex, is this bad? I thought it was good, better flow).. (Go figure it had the bung pre welded for the sensor at the 3 o clock position!!!! YES! ) Only problem is that the donut that is included is too small to fit the invidia T/O, and the invidia one is too small to fit in the XS downpipe, the XS one seems to be grindable. I'm going to be posting a thread soon called "Project FQ-400" and I'll post all pictures of my parts and installation and tuning.
  • Catco 3" High flow Cat (no sensor bung on this, but the Greddy cat back has one right after the cat, thats where I'll put the O2 sensor I guess )
  • Innovate LC1 w/ XD16 2" 1/16 wide band A/F gauge.
  • Tactrix Evo specific cable for tuning (USB)

Ordered (coming in soon):
  • STRI Boost gauge 2" 1/16
  • Dual pod steering column by autometer
  • Carbon Fiber Dash kit for 3 relocated gauges w/radio relocate to lower.
  • Glow Shift Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp gauges.
  • USB to Serial adapter for the tactrix Evo cable for tuning.

I'm open to any feed back before installing this stuff and tuning according to this thread.

Is there a benefit to getting a better header for the stock turbo? or is this something that I should wait on for when I get a new, bigger turbo?

Thanks in advance!
glad i could help... now to edit

dump the glow shift crap... because... they are crap. You wont be able to see your gauges in the day light.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 06:09 AM

hey i know that this will sound new and all but when you say 3rd and 4th gear pulls are u logging from the begging of 3rd gear till the end of when u shift to 4th or only at certain rpm's and thanks for the tread i will help me tune my car when i get back to the states.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by slim_jim989
hey i know that this will sound new and all but when you say 3rd and 4th gear pulls are u logging from the begging of 3rd gear till the end of when u shift to 4th or only at certain rpm's and thanks for the tread i will help me tune my car when i get back to the states.
you should log different rpm points in 3rd/4th ...most start from 2000rpm - redline. Then log again 3000rpm - redline. 3500 etc... then once you feel you tune is set...you run through gears and hit different rpm points to make sure that all load cells are covered. Hope that made sense.

Tuning properly takes time...

Old Dec 3, 2007, 07:19 AM

THANKS! There is finally a comprehensive kick-start guide with the pep-talk motivation included. I have to say that I really appreciate what you have done here.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 07:27 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Evoryder
you should log different rpm points in 3rd/4th ...most start from 2000rpm - redline. Then log again 3000rpm - redline. 3500 etc... then once you feel you tune is set...you run through gears and hit different rpm points to make sure that all load cells are covered. Hope that made sense.

Tuning properly takes time...

yeah actaully it did, i kinda figured that but just had to make sure. thanks
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just read thru all eleven pages, my eyes about to pop out. great info, i should get started on this tuning stuff, looks like fun and will save me some money from going to tuners. hah

Quick Reply: How To Tune an Evo